Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Syntax Problem with awk
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Syntax Problem with awk Post 302549901 by yazu on Wednesday 24th of August 2011 07:22:19 AM
Old 08-24-2011
Perl knows about backticks but it interprets them as strings in double quotes and make interpolation of variables. So $1, etc. are perl variables, not awks. But you can use:
Code:
qx' cmd '

to prevent this.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax problem

dear friends, I have a large size file containg two fields data like this *** **** 122 222 ***** ***** ***** ***** 232 233 i have file like this. i want to remove blank lines from file . i think awk is servive this problem i wrote a awk command but the error is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

syntax problem

Dear friends, I am writing shell script in csh . i want to make arthimatic operation in csh. i wrote sysntax like this. set val = 230 set tmp = `0.1 * $val + 300` echo $tmp but it is not working . anyone please give me syntax. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajan_ka1
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

remote awk syntax problem

Hi there If i run this command on my Linux box directly, i get the desired result # ipmitool fru | gawk '!NF{f=0}/mb.net0.fru/{f=1}/Product Serial/&&f{print $NF}' 00:AA:4F:A6:A6:C4 however, if i try to run it from a remote server (using SSH) and populating a variable with the result,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

4. Programming

Syntax Problem in Query

Hey guys, i am having a problem in my query statement. I am using Mysql in Netbeans and c++. What i am trying to do is for the user to enter a certain value and then the program will store the value into the database... string NewMovie ; Cout <<" Enter your new movie : " << endl ; ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: gregarion
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with syntax using awk

Hi Guys, When below code is executed in script, I get desired output in output file. awk 'NR >= $start_line && NR <= 3' master_scriptlist.txt > $driver1/scriptlist.txtBut when i replace 3 with a variable end_line=3, I do not get ouput. See code below. Is there any problem with syntax awk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: ajincoep
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with awk syntax

Hi, Below is the code I am using. I am trying to list only those numbers which has a + symbol in it cat num | awk -F"+" '{if (/^$/) { } else {if ( $0 ~ egrep "^+$" ) { if ( $0 ~ grep "+" ) {print $0} } }}' I am getting the following error: awk: 0602-521 There is a... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudvishw
7 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with awk syntax error problem asking

Input file: 703 1192 720 1162 316 380 1810 439 1969 874 Desired output file: 3 3 awk code that I tried: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with if-else syntax

I'm calling the following if-else from nawk. But I keep getting an error at the "else". I've tried putting more brackets and ; but still I get complaints about the "else". Any ideas ? Thanks, wbrunc BEGIN { FS = "," ; OFS = "," } { if ( $8 ~ /A/ && $9 == B ) $1="4/29/2013" ; $2="J.Doe"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: wbrunc
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk syntax problem

Hi, I am using this awk command in my shell script : find . -name "*" -ctime -6 | xargs cat | grep -E -v ^fileName\|^\(\) | awk -v DATE="${CURR_DATE}" -v DATE_LOG=$DATE_SYS 'BEGIN {FS=";";OFS=";";CONVFMT="%.9g";OFMT="%.9g"}... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: abhi1988sri
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk problem with syntax

awk -v sw="lemons|dogs" 'NR>100 && NR<200 BEGIN { c=split(sw,a,""); } { for (w in a) { if ($0 ~ a) d]++; } } END { for (i in a) { o=o (a"="(d]?d]:0)","); } sub(",*$","",o); print o; }' /home/jahitt/data.txt what am i doing wrong with the above code? im pretty sure the issue is in the... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
6 Replies
Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::RequireInterUsertContrPerl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::RequireInterpolationOfMetachars(3pm)

NAME
Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::RequireInterpolationOfMetachars - Warns that you might have used single quotes when you really wanted double-quotes. AFFILIATION
This Policy is part of the core Perl::Critic distribution. DESCRIPTION
This policy warns you if you use single-quotes or "q//" with a string that has unescaped metacharacters that may need interpolation. Its hard to know for sure if a string really should be interpolated without looking into the symbol table. This policy just makes an educated guess by looking for metacharacters and sigils which usually indicate that the string should be interpolated. Exceptions o Variable names to "use vars": use vars '$x'; # ok use vars ('$y', '$z'); # ok use vars qw< $a $b >; # ok o Things that look like e-mail addresses: print 'john@foo.com'; # ok $address = 'suzy.bar@baz.net'; # ok CONFIGURATION
The "rcs_keywords" option allows you to stop this policy from complaining about things that look like RCS variables, for example, in deriving values for $VERSION variables. For example, if you've got code like our ($VERSION) = (q<$Revision: 4106 $> =~ m/(d+)/mx); You can specify [ValuesAndExpressions::RequireInterpolationOfMetachars] rcs_keywords = Revision in your .perlcriticrc to provide an exemption. NOTES
Perl's own "warnings" pragma also warns you about this. SEE ALSO
Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::ProhibitInterpolationOfLiterals AUTHOR
Jeffrey Ryan Thalhammer <jeff@imaginative-software.com> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2005-2011 Imaginative Software Systems. All rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. The full text of this license can be found in the LICENSE file included with this module. perl v5.14.2 Perl::Critic::Policy::ValuesAndExpressions::RequireInterpolationOfMetachars(3pm)