Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Running rename command on large files and make it faster Post 302549418 by yazu on Tuesday 23rd of August 2011 03:47:27 AM
Old 08-23-2011
Look for "rename" command on your system and its man page.
This User Gave Thanks to yazu For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Error when running the make command

Hi, Not really sure whether this question should go to this forum but am giving it a shot. I have compiled a simple C program test.c. #include <stdio.h> #include <stdlib.h> #include <string.h> static int a; int test() { a=a+1; return a; } When I run a make command, I get this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nattynatty
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Can anyone make this script run faster?

One of our servers runs Solaris 8 and does not have "ls -lh" as a valid command. I wrote the following script to make the ls output easier to read and emulate "ls -lh" functionality. The script works, but it is slow when executed on a directory that contains a large number of files. Can anyone make... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: shew01
10 Replies

3. Red Hat

Re:How to make the linux pc faster

Hi, Can any one help me out in solving the problem i have a linux database server it is tooo slow that i am unable to open even the terminial is there any solution to get rid of this problem.How to make this server faster. Thanks & Regards Venky (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: venky_vemuri
0 Replies

4. Emergency UNIX and Linux Support

Help to make awk script more efficient for large files

Hello, Error awk: Internal software error in the tostring function on TS1101?05044400?.0085498227?0?.0011041461?.0034752266?.00397045?0?0?0?0?0?0?11/02/10?09/23/10???10?no??0??no?sct_det3_10_20110516_143936.txt What it is It is a unix shell script that contains an awk program as well as... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: script_op2a
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Make script faster

Hi all, In bash scripting, I use to read files: cat $file | while read line; do ... doneHowever, it's a very slow way to read file line by line. E.g. In a file that has 3 columns, and less than 400 rows, like this: I run next script: cat $line | while read line; do ## Reads each... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: AlbertGM
10 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Rename a large number of files in subdirectories

Hi, I have a large number of subdirectories (>200), and in each of these directories there is a file with a name like "opp1234.dat". I'd like to know how I could change the names of these files to say "out.dat" in all these subdirectories in one go. Thanks! (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: lost.identity
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Faster command to remove headers for files in a directory

Good evening Im new at unix shell scripting and im planning to script a shell that removes headers for about 120 files in a directory and each file contains about 200000 lines in average. i know i will loop files to process each one and ive found in this great forum different solutions... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: alexcol
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk changes to make it faster

I have script like below, who is picking number from one file and and searching in another file, and printing output. Bu is is very slow to be run on huge file.can we modify it with awk #! /bin/ksh while read line1 do echo "$line1" a=`echo $line1` if then echo "$num" cat file1|nawk... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: mirwasim
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make awk command faster?

I have the below command which is referring a large file and it is taking 3 hours to run. Can something be done to make this command faster. awk -F ',' '{OFS=","}{ if ($13 == "9999") print $1,$2,$3,$4,$5,$6,$7,$8,$9,$10,$11,$12 }' ${NLAP_TEMP}/hist1.out|sort -T ${NLAP_TEMP} |uniq>... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: Peu Mukherjee
13 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to make awk command faster for large amount of data?

I have nginx web server logs with all requests that were made and I'm filtering them by date and time. Each line has the following structure: 127.0.0.1 - xyz.com GET 123.ts HTTP/1.1 (200) 0.000 s 3182 CoreMedia/1.0.0.15F79 (iPhone; U; CPU OS 11_4 like Mac OS X; pt_br) These text files are... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: brenoasrm
21 Replies
CMDTEST(1)						      General Commands Manual							CMDTEST(1)

NAME
cmdtest - blackbox testing of Unix command line tools SYNOPSIS
cmdtest [-c=COMMAND] [--command=COMMAND] [--config=FILE] [--dump-config] [--dump-memory-profile=METHOD] [--dump-setting-names] [--generate-manpage=TEMPLATE] [-h] [--help] [-k] [--keep] [--list-config-files] [--log=FILE] [--log-keep=N] [--log-level=LEVEL] [--log-max=SIZE] [--no-default-configs] [--output=FILE] [-t=TEST] [--test=TEST] [--timings] [--version] [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
cmdtest black box tests Unix command line tools. Given some test scripts, their inputs, and expected outputs, it verifies that the command line produces the expected output. If not, it reports problems, and shows the differences. Each test case foo consists of the following files: foo.script a script to run the test (this is required) foo.stdin the file fed to standard input foo.stdout the expected output to the standard output foo.stderr the expected output to the standard error foo.exit the expected exit code foo.setup a shell script to run before the test foo.teardown a shell script to run after test Usually, a single test is not enough. All tests are put into the same directory, and they may share some setup and teardown code: setup-once a shell script to run once, before any tests setup a shell script to run before each test teardown a shell script to run after each test teardown-once a shell script to run once, after all tests cmdtest is given the name of the directory with all the tests, or several such directories, and it does the following: o execute setup-once o for each test case (unique prefix foo): -- execute setup -- execute foo.setup -- execute the command, by running foo.script, and redirecting standard input to come from foo.stdin, and capturing standard output and error and exit codes -- execute foo.teardown -- execute teardown -- report result of test: does exit code match foo.exit, standard output match foo.stdout, and standard error match foo.stderr? o execute teardown-once Except for foo.script, all of these files are optional. If a setup or teardown script is missing, it is simply not executed. If one of the standard input, output, or error files is missing, it is treated as if it were empty. If the exit code file is missing, it is treated as if it specified an exit code of zero. The shell scripts may use the following environment variables: DATADIR a temporary directory where files may be created by the test TESTNAME name of the current test (will be empty for setup-once and teardown-once) SRCDIR directory from which cmdtest was launched OPTIONS
-c, --command=COMMAND ignored for backwards compatibility --config=FILE add FILE to config files --dump-config write out the entire current configuration --dump-memory-profile=METHOD make memory profiling dumps using METHOD, which is one of: none, simple, meliae, or heapy (default: simple) --dump-setting-names write out all names of settings and quit --generate-manpage=TEMPLATE fill in manual page TEMPLATE -h, --help show this help message and exit -k, --keep keep temporary data on failure --list-config-files list all possible config files --log=FILE write log entries to FILE (default is to not write log files at all); use "syslog" to log to system log --log-keep=N keep last N logs (10) --log-level=LEVEL log at LEVEL, one of debug, info, warning, error, critical, fatal (default: debug) --log-max=SIZE rotate logs larger than SIZE, zero for never (default: 0) --no-default-configs clear list of configuration files to read --output=FILE write output to FILE, instead of standard output -t, --test=TEST run only TEST (can be given many times) --timings report how long each test takes --version show program's version number and exit EXAMPLE
To test that the echo(1) command outputs the expected string, create a file called echo-tests/hello.script containing the following con- tent: #!/bin/sh echo hello, world Also create the file echo-tests/hello.stdout containing: hello, world Then you can run the tests: $ cmdtest echo-tests test 1/1 1/1 tests OK, 0 failures If you change the stdout file to be something else, cmdtest will report the differences: $ cmdtest echo-tests FAIL: hello: stdout diff: --- echo-tests/hello.stdout 2011-09-11 19:14:47 +0100 +++ echo-tests/hello.stdout-actual 2011-09-11 19:14:49 +0100 @@ -1 +1 @@ -something else +hello, world test 1/1 0/1 tests OK, 1 failures Furthermore, the echo-tests directory will contain the actual output files, and diffs from the expected files. If one of the actual output files is actually correct, you can actualy rename it to be the expected file. Actually, that's a very convenient way of creating the ex- pected output files: you run the test, fixing things, until you've manually checked the actual output is correct, then you rename the file. SEE ALSO
cliapp(5). CMDTEST(1)