Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Numbering file's lines
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Numbering file's lines Post 302549347 by bartus11 on Monday 22nd of August 2011 05:35:03 PM
Old 08-22-2011
Try:
Code:
awk '{print NR"."$0}' infile > outfile

This User Gave Thanks to bartus11 For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numbering lines in a file

Hi all, I need to number the lines in a file. I tried using "set nu" in the vi editor, but it is only temporary. Can anyone help me please. Thanx in advance. MK (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: minazk
4 Replies

2. Windows & DOS: Issues & Discussions

Numbering lines in a file

Hi all, I need to number the lines in a file. I tried using "set nu" in the vi editor, but it is only temporary. Can anyone help me please. Thanx in advance. MK (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: minazk
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numbering Lines

Hello everyone, I want get numbered lines from a file. and i can do it with: sed = file.txt | sed "/./N; s/\n/ /" | sed -n "5,7p" but the output that i get is something similar to: 5 line5 6 line6 7 line7 and i want something like this (with 2points after the number): 5:... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vibra
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Numbering lines grep

Is there a way to number lines and use something other than ":" to separate the number from the line? Or can anyone recommend a way to replace the ":" with a tab? Here's what I'm working with: 16859:52.67 16860:46 16861:39.63 16862:33.88 16863:29.64 16864:26.27 16865:22.09... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jdolny
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Numbering a Text File

Running into a little problem with blank lines. My file is of this format: To number each line of the file i would use: n=1 echo "$FILE" | while read line do echo "$n) $line" n=`expr $n + 1` But really, i dont want to number the blank lines. What i've tried is to use sed... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: omgsomuchppl
13 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

numbering lines according to a condition

hello again guys, I tried to make a script but due to array's limitations I didn't succeed...so I'm asking you :) I need numbering the lines according to date (everyday I need to restart the counter) for example: ABCBD 20080101 XXX 1 FSDFD 20080101 BBB 2 FSDFD 20080102 HHH 1 and so... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: elionba82
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

numbering each line in a text file

I have a simple text file. I want to number each line in that file . for example: My text file is unix my file test My output should be 1 unix 2 my file 3 test (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: pitagi
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Ghostscript output file numbering?

I am using ghostscript to convert a multi-page pdf file to individual jpg files. I am wondering if there is a way to get ghostscript to start numbering the output jpg files from zero? What i am trying to convey is that it starts naming my files from page_001.jpg, page_002.jpg, etc., and would like... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: RacerX
0 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

help with numbering a file

Hi, All I need to do is number a file. The file looks like this > JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ > JKJKJKKKKKKJJJ > MMMMYKKKJKKK what I want to do is number it so that theres a numerical value beside the >. >1 JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ >2 JKJKJKKKKKKJJJ (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylle345
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

numbering lines in a file

if we execute :set nu in vi mode, it displays the line numbers. so how to make this permanently in a file. Whenever i execute cat , the line numbers should be there. please help me. thanks (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pandeesh
4 Replies
MAKE_SOCKSFC(8) 					      System Manager's Manual						   MAKE_SOCKSFC(8)

NAME
make_socksfc - Generates frozen configuratyion file for SOCKS clients SYNOPSIS
make_socksfc [infile [outfile] ] DESCRIPTION
make_socksfc reads in a plain-text configuration file for the SOCKS clients and produces a frozen configuration file as the output. Both arguments are optional. The default for infile is /etc/socks.conf; the default for outfile is /etc/socks.fc. You may specify infile while omitting outfile, but you cannot specify outfile without also speficying infile. The contents of the frozen configuration file is essentially the memory image of the parsed input file. Using the frozen configuration file can reduce the start-up delay of the SOCKS client programs since they no longer have to parse the file contents. When the SOCKS client starts, it always looks for the frozen configuration file /etc/socks.fc first . If that file is not found, it then tries to use the plain-text configuration file /etc/socks.conf. If you use frozen configuration, you must remember to run make_socksfc every time after you modify the plain-text file or the SOCKS clients will continue to use the frozen file of a previous configuration. To find out the contents of a frozen configuration file, use dump_socksfc. FILES
/etc/socks.fc, /etc/socks.conf SEE ALSO
dump_socksfc(8), socks.conf(5), socks.fc(5) AUTHOR
Ying-Da Lee, yingda@esd.sgi.com or yingda@best.com May 6, 1996 MAKE_SOCKSFC(8)