Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Need help with deleted files
Operating Systems Linux Need help with deleted files Post 302549345 by jonnydadesigner on Monday 22nd of August 2011 05:24:17 PM
Old 08-22-2011
Data Need help with deleted files

Hello. I am having a problem and I was wondering if I could get some help from here. I changed into a directory with the
Code:
cd

command and I wanted to delete a folder and all of its subdirectories, so I went ahead and did a
Code:
rm --recursive *

in my current directory to realize that I was in the wrong directory, my web server directory. So now I'm thinking, what am I gonna do? Now I know that there are ways to get files back as the computer (well...depending on the OS) doesn't really delete the files completely, it just deletes their references (from my understanding), but I don't wanna have to go through all that hard work and research, so I am wondering, are there any better ways around this that any of y'all know? If so, please inform me as this is a catastrophe for me. Thank you!

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Retrieval of deleted files

We have a situation in a large dept of programmers where critical accounting data files were deleted. Is there any way in UNIX to trace deletions and or possibly retrieve the deleted file? (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgardiner
14 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

restoring deleted files

I had a user run, by accident, the following line command on our UNIX server: rm -f /usr/* This apparently deleted some needed files on your system. Having very limited knowledge in UNIX, I thought I would ask the group if anyone knows how I can recover these file? The version of UNIX is... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mikem
3 Replies

3. AIX

recover deleted files

How to recover deleted files in AIX ? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vjm
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding deleted files

One of the files got deleted and i want to find who deleted that file. I think we can get the list using history command. Could you please let me know how to get the list of rm commands from history and who previously logged in and did that? Any other suggestions other than history also... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Krrishv
2 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Retrieving deleted files

I mistakenly deleted a script from the UNIX server. Is there any command i can type that i will retrieve my script? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: manna
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to restore the deleted files

hi, if i delete a file from /home/san/abc.cpp in linux/unix and i want to restore it back how to do that ? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mail2sant
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Any way to retrieve deleted files?

:eek: I accidently removed some files using 'rm'. Is there any way to retrieve these files if they were deleted through 'rm'? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: orahi001
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

deleted all files - rm *

Hi All, I am using Fedora Core and Windows Xp. I deleted all the files from root directory. When i am trying to restart the computer it showing some grub > prompt. What i will do ? I have lots of data in XP OS. Please help me i used # rm * (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: pritish.sas
8 Replies

9. AIX

Who deleted my files

Just looking for some guidance on how to figure out who might have deleted some files off one of my systems. These files are not root owned files so could be deleted by a handful of folks in the group responsible for these files besides the root users. Anyway I have been tasked with trying to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: juredd1
1 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)