Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: dbus error
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users dbus error Post 302549280 by dude2cool on Monday 22nd of August 2011 12:19:27 PM
Old 08-22-2011
So reading the man page , looks like the only reason why it won't try to create the ~/.dbus directory is if it attaches to an already existing session. So if "DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS" is set, it will just attach itself to it, without invoking a new session, seems like a good way to prevent unnecessary calls.

If you are on redhat, try installing strace, which basically helps you trace the process. Atleast it will confirm if the below is true. Other than that, I have no more ideas on how to debug this. Maybe someone else on the forum has more experience with dbus and can pitch in.

Quote:
If DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS is not set for a process that tries to use D-Bus, by default the process will attempt to invoke dbus-launch with the --autolaunch option to start up a new session bus or find the existing bus address on the X display or in a file in ~/.dbus/session-bus/

3 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket problem

Hello, i have a problem. i have a domain name hosted on a server and it goes very slow and sometimes down. I looked on the processes running and on the netstat status and i discovered that each time there is a slowness or a downtime is caused by: /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket many of these... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: dan8354544
9 Replies

2. Programming

How to create a new GType using dbus-Glib?

Hi, I'm trying to use the DBUS connection to communicate with the Marxbot medulla. But when I want to use the interface to send a "SetSpeed" event using the method "SendEventName", I need to create a new GTYPE "DBUS_TYPE_G_INIT16_ARRAY" which is an array of int16. I found this function ... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: wiem
0 Replies

3. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

A Dbus signal can be lost?

Hello to everyone! I have a little and simple question. I'm developing a simple application that receives dbus signals . The application works great, but a question is around my head and that is : A dbus signal can be lost ? I read some dbus documentation but didn't clear me this doubt. Thanks! (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kovalevsky
2 Replies
dbus-monitor(1) 					      General Commands Manual						   dbus-monitor(1)

NAME
dbus-monitor - debug probe to print message bus messages SYNOPSIS
dbus-monitor [--system | --session | --address ADDRESS] [--profile | --monitor] [watch expressions] DESCRIPTION
The dbus-monitor command is used to monitor messages going through a D-Bus message bus. See http://www.freedesktop.org/software/dbus/ for more information about the big picture. There are two well-known message buses: the systemwide message bus (installed on many systems as the "messagebus" service) and the per-user-login-session message bus (started each time a user logs in). The --system and --session options direct dbus-monitor to monitor the system or session buses respectively. If neither is specified, dbus-monitor monitors the session bus. dbus-monitor has two different output modes, the 'classic'-style monitoring mode and profiling mode. The profiling format is a compact for- mat with a single line per message and microsecond-resolution timing information. The --profile and --monitor options select the profiling and monitoring output format respectively. If neither is specified, dbus-monitor uses the monitoring output format. In order to get dbus-monitor to see the messages you are interested in, you should specify a set of watch expressions as you would expect to be passed to the dbus_bus_add_match function. The message bus configuration may keep dbus-monitor from seeing all messages, especially if you run the monitor as a non-root user. OPTIONS
--system Monitor the system message bus. --session Monitor the session message bus. (This is the default.) --address ADDRESS Monitor an arbitrary message bus given at ADDRESS. --profile Use the profiling output format. --monitor Use the monitoring output format. (This is the default.) EXAMPLE
Here is an example of using dbus-monitor to watch for the gnome typing monitor to say things dbus-monitor "type='signal',sender='org.gnome.TypingMonitor',interface='org.gnome.TypingMonitor'" AUTHOR
dbus-monitor was written by Philip Blundell. The profiling output mode was added by Olli Salli. BUGS
Please send bug reports to the D-Bus mailing list or bug tracker, see http://www.freedesktop.org/software/dbus/ dbus-monitor(1)