Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers printing fields in reverse order Post 302549214 by yazu on Monday 22nd of August 2011 08:23:18 AM
Old 08-22-2011
Code:
cat INPUTFILE
command/script(apart from awk) to print the fields in reverse order
that is last field has to come first and so on and first field has to go last

% sed -n ':a h
s/.* \(.*\)/\1/p
x
s/\(.*\) .*/\1/
h
ta
s/$/\n/p' INPUTFILE | tr '\n' ' ' | sed 's/  /\n/'g
order reverse in fields the print to awk) from command/script(apart
last go to has field first and on so and first come to has field last is that

Smilie

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sort a file in reverse order

I a file with log entries... I want to sort it so that the last line in the file is first and the first line is last.. eg. Sample file 1 h a f 8 6 After sort should look like 6 8 f a h 1 (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: frustrated1
11 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

AWK - printing certain fields when field order changes in data file

I'm hoping someone can help me on this. I have a data file that greatly simplified might look like this: sec;src;dst;proto 421;10.10.10.1;10.10.10.2;tcp 426;10.10.10.3;10.10.10.4;udp 442;10.10.10.5;10.10.10.6;tcp sec;src;fac;dst;proto 521;10.10.10.1;ab;10.10.10.2;tcp... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: eric4
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

sort -reverse order

I need to sort the particular column only in reverse order how i can give it.. if i give the -r option the whole file is getting sorted in reverse order. 1st 2nd col 3rd C col 4th col 5th col ------------------------------------------- C... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: sivakumar.rj
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to get fields in reverse order?

i am having lines like below seperated by "|" (pipe) abc|xyz 123|567 i have to get the above in reverse order xyz|abc 567|123 Pls help (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: suryanarayana
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to print arguments in reverse order?

Hey all, How do I make a script print its arguments in reverse order? Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclepickle1
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

print in reverse order

Hi, I want to print the item in reverse order such that the output would look like 00 50 50 23 40 22 02 96 Below is the input: 00 05 05 32 04 22 20 69 Video tutorial on how to use code tags in The UNIX and Linux Forums. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: reignangel2003
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting strings in reverse order

Hello, I have a large database of words and would like them sorted in reverse order i.e. from the end up. An example will make this clear: I have tried to write a program in Perl which basically takes the string from the end and tries to sort from that end but it does not seem... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Delete records in reverse order

Hi all, i have dynamic file 'xyz.txt', records always look likes below format ... 0000021 RET 31-MAR-1984 FAP 0000021 DTA 14-JAN-2003 CNV 0000021 DTA 25-MAR-2012 DTA 0000021 DTA 26-MAR-2012 DTA ################################################# 0000021 DTA ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: krupasindhu18
4 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Issues with sorting in reverse order

I have a unix script that outputs a summary file to the mac desktop. The file is called summary.txt I am trying to configure such so that the summary.txt file lists the content contained within such in reverse sort order. I have used sort -r but it does not seem to work. I would be... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: Braveheart
8 Replies
JOIN(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   JOIN(1)

NAME
join - relational database operator SYNOPSIS
join [-an] [-e s] [-o list] [-tc] file1 file2 DESCRIPTION
Join forms, on the standard output, a join of the two relations specified by the lines of file1 and file2. If file1 is `-', the standard input is used. File1 and file2 must be sorted in increasing ASCII collating sequence on the fields on which they are to be joined, normally the first in each line. There is one line in the output for each pair of lines in file1 and file2 that have identical join fields. The output line normally con- sists of the common field, then the rest of the line from file1, then the rest of the line from file2. Fields are normally separated by blank, tab or newline. In this case, multiple separators count as one, and leading separators are dis- carded. These options are recognized: -an In addition to the normal output, produce a line for each unpairable line in file n, where n is 1 or 2. -e s Replace empty output fields by string s. -o list Each output line comprises the fields specified in list, each element of which has the form n.m, where n is a file number and m is a field number. -tc Use character c as a separator (tab character). Every appearance of c in a line is significant. SEE ALSO
sort(1), comm(1), awk(1). BUGS
With default field separation, the collating sequence is that of sort -b; with -t, the sequence is that of a plain sort. The conventions of join, sort, comm, uniq, look and awk(1) are wildly incongruous. 7th Edition April 29, 1985 JOIN(1)