Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting AWK Variable assignment issue Ksh script Post 302549208 by yazu on Monday 22nd of August 2011 08:07:32 AM
Old 08-22-2011
It was added by 'set -x', not awk. This is a ksh string literal:
Code:
a=$'some special \n\t chars'
echo "$a"

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

ksh/Linux: Variable scoping issue? Pl. help!

user_account() { set -x nodename=$1 # set userid to user0 userid="user0" echo outside:pid $$ cat $MY_DIR/user_accounts | while read line do # line="node1 user1" echo inside do: pid $$ line:$line userid:$userid poss_node=`echo $line |awk '{print $1}'`... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jasmeet100
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk variable assignment in a file

Hi All, I have a little awk script which uses a variable (x): awk -v x=0 'NF != 6 { ++x } END { print "This batch had " x " errors out of ", NR" records"}' But when I've tried to put the command in a file I can't seem to declare the variable. I've managed to simplify the code so that I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: pondlife
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

variable assignment using awk

Guys, Could you please help me out. I need two values in two variables using awk from the o/p of grep. example:- grep sdosanjh <filename> sdosanjh myhostname myfilename NOW WHAT I WANT IS :- sdosanjh should be in variable (say NAME) myhostname should be in variable (say... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: sdosanjh
8 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Inconsistent variable assignment issue

I am using a piece of code which is working fine in some cases and is not working in some other instances. All I am doing is grep'ing and concatenating. Below is a working scenario. $ echo $var1 REPLYFILENAME=Options_NSE1.txt.enc $ FILE_NM=`echo ${var1##*=}`.gz (Take everything after... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jamjam10k
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk variable assignment-- inside braces or not?

So, in awk, I've always put my variable assignments inside of the curly braces, just like dad, and grandpa, and the 26 generations before them. But today I came upon an awk statement that had them outside the braces-- blasphemy! Seriously, though, is there any practical difference? I was... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: treesloth
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk issue expanding variables in ksh script

Hi Guys, I have an issue with awk and variables. I have trawled the internet and forums but can't seem to get the exactt syntax I need. I have tried using awk -v and all sorts of variations but I have hit a brick wall. I have spent a full day on this and am just going round in circles. ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gazza-o
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

issue with nawk while using variable assignment

#ifconfig -a | nawk '/1.1.1.1/{print}' inet 1.1.1.1 netmask xxxxxxxxx broadcast 0.0.0.0 If i assign the ip to a variable and search for the variable nothing gets printed!! # ifconfig -a | nawk -v ip=1.1.1.1 '/ip/{print}' I am not able to understand why this is happening! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: chidori
6 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Variable assignment inside awk

Hi, Was hoping someone could help with the following: while read line; do pntadm -P $line | awk '{if (( $2 == 00 && $1 != 00 ) || ( $2 == 04 )) print $3,$5}'; done < /tmp/subnet_list Anyone know if it is possible to assign $3 and $5 to separate variables within the {} brackets? Thanks... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: CiCa
14 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

[awk] printing value of a variable assignment from a file

Heyas Me try to print only the value of a (specific) variable assignment from a file. What i get (1): :) tui $ bin/tui-conf-get ~/.tui_rc TUI_THEME dot-blue "" "$TUI_DIR_INSTALL_ROOT/usr" "$TUI_DIR_INSTALL_ROOT/etc/tui" "$TUI_PREFIX/share/doc/tui" "$TUI_PREFIX/share/tui"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sea
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Optimize multiple awk variable assignment

how can i optimize the following: TOTALRESULT="total1=4 total2=9 total3=89 TMEMORY=1999" TOTAL1=$(echo "${TOTALRESULT}" | egrep "total1=" | awk -F"=" '{print $NF}') TOTAL2=$(echo "${TOTALRESULT}" | egrep "total2=" | awk -F"=" '{print $NF}') TOTAL3=$(echo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies
echo(1B)					     SunOS/BSD Compatibility Package Commands						  echo(1B)

NAME
echo - echo arguments to standard output SYNOPSIS
/usr/ucb/echo [-n] [argument] DESCRIPTION
echo writes its arguments, separated by BLANKs and terminated by a NEWLINE, to the standard output. echo is useful for producing diagnostics in command files and for sending known data into a pipe, and for displaying the contents of envi- ronment variables. For example, you can use echo to determine how many subdirectories below the root directory (/) is your current directory, as follows: o echo your current-working-directory's full pathname o pipe the output through tr to translate the path's embedded slash-characters into space-characters o pipe that output through wc -w for a count of the names in your path. example% /usr/bin/echo "echo $PWD | tr '/' ' ' | wc -w" See tr(1) and wc(1) for their functionality. The shells csh(1), ksh(1), and sh(1), each have an echo built-in command, which, by default, will have precedence, and will be invoked if the user calls echo without a full pathname. /usr/ucb/echo and csh's echo() have an -n option, but do not understand back-slashed escape characters. sh's echo(), ksh's echo(), and /usr/bin/echo, on the other hand, understand the black-slashed escape characters, and ksh's echo() also understands a as the audible bell character; however, these commands do not have an -n option. OPTIONS
-n Do not add the NEWLINE to the output. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscpu | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
csh(1), echo(1), ksh(1), sh(1), tr(1), wc(1), attributes(5) NOTES
The -n option is a transition aid for BSD applications, and may not be supported in future releases. SunOS 5.10 3 Aug 1994 echo(1B)