Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Making use of multiple cores for running sed and awk scripts Post 302549147 by yazu on Monday 22nd of August 2011 12:39:22 AM
Old 08-22-2011
From GNU parallel man page:

Quote:
EXAMPLE: Rewriting a for-loop and a while-read-loop

Code:
for-loops like this:

(for x in `cat list` ; do
    do_something $x
  done) | process_output
and while-read-loops like this:

cat list | (while read x ; do
    do_something $x
  done) | process_output
can be written like this:

cat list | parallel do_something | process_output

If the processing requires more steps the for-loop like this:

Code:
(for x in `cat list` ; do
   no_extension=${x%.*};
   do_something $x scale $no_extension.jpg
   do_step2 <$x $no_extension
 done) | process_output
and while-loops like this:

cat list | (while read x ; do
   no_extension=${x%.*};
   do_something $x scale $no_extension.jpg
   do_step2 <$x $no_extension
 done) | process_output
can be written like this:

cat list | parallel "do_something {} scale {.}.jpg ; do_step2 <{} {.}" | process_output

You can always send a patch them or report them about the bug.

Last edited by yazu; 08-22-2011 at 01:54 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to open multiple shells while the scripts keeps running.

Hello, I've tried for a while now to run a bash script that continues to the end, while opening new shells as needed. I've tried xterm -e "somecommand"; & xterm -e " somecommand"; I've also tried screen -S "somecommand"; & screen -S "somecommand"; All without any luck, they... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Closed_Socket
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

running multiple scripts

Hi all I have a requirement where I have a flow like Script1 script2 Script3 Script 4 Script 5 Script 6 script7 where script2 to script6 will... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: nvuradi
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

multiple child scripts running in backgroud, how to use grep on the parent?

Hi I have a shell script A which calls another 10 shell scripts which run in background. How do i make the parent script wait for the child scripts complete, or in other words, i must be able to do a grep of parent script to find out if the child scripts are still running. My Code: ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: albertashish
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Multiple scripts based on file size.

Hi, I have created 3 shell scripts which has to run one by one first two shell scripts will create a .txt files...which are used by the third shell script.Now I want to create a master script and run all these in a single script. Please give a pseudo code on how to so the same. ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: gaur.deepti
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

making the first character of word using uppercase using awk and sed

I want to make the first character of some words to be uppercase. I have a file like the one below. uid,givenname,sn,cn,mail,telephonenumber mattj,matt,johnson,matt johnson,mattj@gmail.com markv,mark,vennet,matt s vennet,markv@gmail.com mikea,mike,austi,mike austin,mike@gmail.com I want... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: matt12
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Shell Scripts Using sed in multiple files.

Hi, I was hoping that someone could help me. I have a problem that i am trying to work on and it requires me to change text within multiple files using sed. I use the program to change an occurance of a word throughout different files that are being tested. At first i had to Create a new script,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Johnny2518
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Execution problem in running multiple scripts

hi all, I have 3 individual scripts to perform the task . 2nd script should run only after the 1st script and 3rd script must run only after first 2 scripts are executed successfully. i want to have a single script that calls all this 3 scripts .this single script should execute the 2nd script... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Rahul619
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Issue with SUNOS running sed scripts

Hi I probably dont have GNU extended sed in my SUNOS . and its creating lot of problems ex: a simple sed command like this is not working sed '/WORD/ a\ sample text line 1 \ sample text line 1 ' filename sed: command garbled: /WORD/ a I took precaution to have a new line after... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: vash
11 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Running Multiple Scripts for different business date

Hi Team, I have the below 4 scripts which I will be running in sequential order. This run will start for today's business date. If all the 4 scripts are success for today that means script has ran succesfully. Howver if any one of these 4 scripts failed then it has to take the next... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Deena1984
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Running Multiple scripts at a time

Hello! I have a scriptA.ksh and in this script I need to call script1.ksh, script2.ksh, script3.ksh, script4.ksh and script5.ksh. But want to run in two batches like 1st script1.ksh, script2.ksh, script3.ksh, once all 3 are completed then script4.ksh script5.ksh I have given the syntax... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: karumudi7
1 Replies
MooseX::Role::Timer(3pm)				User Contributed Perl Documentation				  MooseX::Role::Timer(3pm)

NAME
MooseX::Role::Timer - Measure times with your object. SYNOPSIS
package Demo; use Moose; # or Any::Moose with 'MooseX::Role::Timer'; sub BUILD { shift->start_timer("build"); } sub do_something { my $self = shift; $self->start_timer("something"); # do something... $self->stop_timer("something"); } package main; my $demo = Demo->new; $demo->do_something; $demo->do_something; printf "%3.6fs ", $demo->elapsed_timer("build"); # time spent since BUILD printf "%3.6fs ", $demo->elapsed_timer("something"); # time spent in sub do_something This Role provides your object with timers, making it easier to keep track of how long whatever actions take. start_timer($name) Start timer $name. stop_timer($name) Stop timer $name. Could be started again to cumulatively measure time. reset_timer($name) Stops timer $name and clears cumulated times for $name. elapsed_timer('name') Return the elapsed time in seconds (cumulated) for timer $name. timer_names Return all timer names. AUTHOR
Michael Langner, "<mila at cpan.org>" BUGS
Please report any bugs or feature requests to "bug-moosex-role-timer at rt.cpan.org", or through the web interface at http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=MooseX-Role-Timer <http://rt.cpan.org/NoAuth/ReportBug.html?Queue=MooseX-Role-Timer>. I will be notified, and then you'll automatically be notified of progress on your bug as I make changes. COPYRIGHT &; LICENSE Copyright 2010 Michael Langner, all rights reserved. This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.14.2 2012-05-02 MooseX::Role::Timer(3pm)