Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting extracting line numbers from a file and redirecting them to another file Post 302549136 by durden_tyler on Sunday 21st of August 2011 10:48:52 PM
Old 08-21-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by arindamlive
If i use the cut command, i wud have to know beforehand the range of columns which is not possible as the line numbers maybe 1 digit, 2 digit, 3 digit or even more perhaps...
Nope, not necessarily; you do not have to know the range of columns beforehand.
You could cut the pattern based on a delimiter and then pick up the first column.
For example, if the pattern is "abc~def", and you set the delimiter to "~", then your 1st column would be "abc", whose length could be arbitrary.
Check the man page of your system for the syntax.

tyler_durden

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting specified line from a file using awk

Hi, I am just trying to extract a line at a time from a file using awk and can't yet extract even the first line using the following:- awk '/(^) && (NR==1)/ {print $1}' file1 Is there an obvious silly error here? Thanks (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sirtrancealot
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a line in a text file

If my file looks like this…. 10 20 30 and I want to take each line individually and put it in a variable so it can be read later in it's on individual test statement, how can I do that? I guess what I'm asking is how can I extract each line individually. Thanks (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: terryporter51
5 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Help: Sorting and extracting a line from a file

I was proposed with the following problem: The file 'numbers' contains a list of numbers. Write a command to place the largest one of those numbers in the file 'largest' (there should be nothing else in that file). Do not use the 'head' command in your answer. I think if i used the sort... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: stava
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting line from a file

Hi, I would like to extract a certain portion of sentences from a particular sentence i.e. to extract the last section embrace by input output Please advice. Cheers (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: dwgi32
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting line1 from a file with certain file pattern in line 7

Hello there, I am new to unix and would like to do the following, hoping someone would give some guide, thanks in advance. Lets say i have a file like this: A w x y w x 0.1 B w x y w x 0.3 C w x y w x 0.7 D w x y w x 0.9 E w x y w x 0.2 So i would like to extract line 1 data where line... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: seiksoon
2 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

problem with extracting line in file

My file looks like this and i need to only extract those with PDT_AP21_B and output it to another file. Can anyone help? Thanks. PDT_AP21_R,,, 11 TYS,,,,T17D1207230742TYO***T17DS,,C PDT_AP21_L,,,9631166650001 ,,,,T17D1207230903TYOTYST17DS ,,C... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Alyssa
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Extracting lines from a text file based on another text file with line numbers

Hi, I am trying to extract lines from a text file given a text file containing line numbers to be extracted from the first file. How do I go about doing this? Thanks! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: evelibertine
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting lines from text files in folder based on the numbers in another file

Hello, I have a file ff.txt that looks as follows *ABNA.txt 356 24 36 112 *AC24.txt 457 458 321 2 ABNA.txt and AC24.txt are the files in the folder named foo1. Based on the numbers in the ff.txt file, I want to extract the lines from the corresponding files in the foo1 folder and... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohamad
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting values based on line-column numbers from multiple text files

Dear All, I have to solve the following problems with multiple tab-separated text file but I don't know how. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have access to Linux mint (but not as a professional). I have multiple tab-delimited files with the following structure: file1: 1 44 2 ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bastami
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to find all the multi line pattern and redirecting it to a file?

I've a file like this {multi line ....... ....... pattern} { some other stuff ......... } {multi line ....... ....... pattern} { some other stuff ......... } and so on (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aamir_raihan
2 Replies
COLRM(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						  COLRM(1)

NAME
colrm -- remove columns from a file SYNOPSIS
colrm [start [stop]] DESCRIPTION
The colrm utility removes selected columns from the lines of a file. A column is defined as a single character in a line. Input is read from the standard input. Output is written to the standard output. If only the start column is specified, columns numbered less than the start column will be written. If both start and stop columns are spec- ified, columns numbered less than the start column or greater than the stop column will be written. Column numbering starts with one, not zero. Tab characters increment the column count to the next multiple of eight. Backspace characters decrement the column count by one. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of colrm as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The colrm utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. SEE ALSO
awk(1), column(1), cut(1), paste(1) HISTORY
The colrm command appeared in 3.0BSD. BSD
August 4, 2004 BSD