Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: C++, giving thread a "name"
Top Forums Programming C++, giving thread a "name" Post 302549103 by Corona688 on Sunday 21st of August 2011 01:24:46 PM
Old 08-21-2011
The threads don't know the order in which they're created, but they do have a unique thread ID. If you want them to know what string they are, either save their ID's somewhere by the string so they can look them up, or pass them a number so they know what ID they are. The latter would be simpler and better since you could get it all arranged properly before you create the thread and not after, eliminating race conditions.

Why not just do const char *THREAD_NAMES[]={ ... } and save yourself all the pointless C++ overhead?

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Giving "read" from standard input a timeout.

I want to prompt a user for input but I want it to timeout after a specified time if no response is given. I tried the sleep command but this does not work. I am using ksh. Thanks. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: rello
10 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Explain the line "mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'`"

Hi Friends, Can any of you explain me about the below line of code? mn_code=`env|grep "..mn"|awk -F"=" '{print $2}'` Im not able to understand, what exactly it is doing :confused: Any help would be useful for me. Lokesha (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lokesha
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

In ksh shell command - Print "-ABC" is giving error

Hi Guys, while executing the following command : print "-ABC" is giving following error : ksh: print: bad option(s) I cannot use echo for some other reasons, so any other option ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sagarjani
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Giving a name to a Terminal in "Xfce" desktop environment

Hi, I work noramly with 3/4/5 Terminals (not xterms) open. In the different Terminal I set different tools (software). Unfortunately I loose easily the overview of all these Terminals. Which setup is in which Terminal? It would be nice to have a possibility to name Termianls. By the way I work... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hooge789
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk command to replace ";" with "|" and ""|" at diferent places in line of file

Hi, I have line in input file as below: 3G_CENTRAL;INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL;SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL My expected output for line in the file must be : "1-Radon1-cMOC_deg"|"LDIndex"|"3G_CENTRAL|INDONESIA_(M)_TELKOMSEL"|LAST|"SPECIAL_WORLD_GRP_7_FA_2_TELKOMSEL" Can someone... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: shis100
7 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash Script giving "Command Not found"

Hello Geeks, Greetings...I have the following script: #!/usr/bin/bash #Script to generate number of active PDP context & calculate PDP activation #failurefrom EPG-M #Script written by Gbenga Adigun #September 12, 2013 username="xxxxxx" password="xxxxxxxxx" HOSTS=( ggsn01... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: infinitydon
6 Replies

7. HP-UX

HP-UX: Shell Script giving " 0^J30: Syntax error"

Hi All, We are getting a very unique error while running a shell script on HP-UX box. Can somebody help in this regards? The shell script is working fine on linux/solaris box. Error: ++++++++++++++++++++++++ $/test.sh ./test.sh: 0^J30: Syntax error $ ++++++++++++++++++++++++ TIA.... (16 Replies)
Discussion started by: vai_sh
16 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using "mailx" command to read "to" and "cc" email addreses from input file

How to use "mailx" command to do e-mail reading the input file containing email address, where column 1 has name and column 2 containing “To” e-mail address and column 3 contains “cc” e-mail address to include with same email. Sample input file, email.txt Below is an sample code where... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: asjaiswal
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script - Print an ascii file using specific font "Latin Modern Mono 12" "regular" "9"

Hello. System : opensuse leap 42.3 I have a bash script that build a text file. I would like the last command doing : print_cmd -o page-left=43 -o page-right=22 -o page-top=28 -o page-bottom=43 -o font=LatinModernMono12:regular:9 some_file.txt where : print_cmd ::= some printing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jcdole
1 Replies
ns_thread(3aolserver)					    AOLserver Built-In Commands 				     ns_thread(3aolserver)

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

NAME
ns_thread - commands SYNOPSIS
ns_thread begin script ns_thread begindetached script ns_thread get ns_thread getid ns_thread wait tid ns_thread yield _________________________________________________________________ DESCRIPTION
ns_thread begin: begins a new thread which evaluates the specified script and then exits. It returns a thread ID that must eventually be passed to ns_thread wait. (Failing to call ns_thread wait will eventually result in no new threads being created.) ns_thread begindetached: begins a detached thread that doesn't have to be (and can't be) waited for. ns_thread get: gets the thread ID of the current thread. The result is a thread ID that can be passed to ns_thread wait and may look something like "tid532". ns_thread getid: gets the thread integer number for the current thread. The result is a small integer used for identifying threads is a human-read- able way, such as "1" or "1120", for example. ns_thread wait: waits for the specified thread to exit. The tid argument is a thread ID returned by ns_thread begin or ns_thread get. ns_thread yield: causes the current thread to yield. EXAMPLES
This example is similar to the example under the ns_sockselect function of connecting to the 10 servers and waiting to service them with the ns_sockselect command. In this case, though, each connection gets it's own thread. # This is the procedure which is evaluated for each thread and # handles a single connection to host number $i proc getpage {i} { global pages # new thread will start here - first connect to host set host [format "www%2d.foo.com" $i] set fds [ns_sockopen $host 80 set r [lindex $fds 0] set w [lindex $fds 1] # next, send request 0r" puts $w "GET /index.htm HTTP/1.0 flush $w # then read page set pages($i) [read $r] # and close sockets close $w close $r # thread goes away here and other threads waiting # on ns_thread wait will wakeup } # Here's the loop which creates the threads which run getpage. for {set i 1} {$i < 9} {incr i} { set tids($i) [ns_thread begin "getpage $i"] } # wait for the threads to exit and then process the pages for {set i 1} {$i < 9} {incr i} { ns_thread wait $tids($i) # output page ... process the page in $pages($i) put there by other thread ... } Note that the code here is much simpler to follow than the ns_sockselect example; that's the benefit of multithreaded programming. However, it uses more resources as threads need to be created and initialized. This can be a problem if you plan to create many threads. SEE ALSO
KEYWORDS
threads AOLserver 4.0 ns_thread(3aolserver)