Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Alphabetical help.
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions Alphabetical help. Post 302548795 by Ren_kun on Friday 19th of August 2011 09:56:27 AM
Old 08-19-2011
sorry i fail to see where you used your parenthesis to make a comparison.

EDIT: If i think you did what i think you did then i probably did do it. If you check out the new code i made.

Code:
"3")
clear
echo Enter capitol alphabetical letters one at a time and press 0 to finish
letter="Z"
if [[ "$letter" < Z || "$letter" == Z ]] && [[ "$letter" > A || "$letter" == A ]
]; then
        while [[ "$letter" == Z || "$letter" < Z ]] && [[ "$letter" > A || "$let
ter" == A ]] && [[ "$letter" != 0 ]]; do
        read letter2
                if [[ $letter2 < $letter ]]; then
                letter=letter2
                else
                break
                fi
        break
        done
elif [ "$letter2" == 0 ]; then
echo Lowest letter is $letter
else
echo "Invalid input. Please enter A-Z (capital) one at a time finalised by a 0"
fi
;;

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

shell program for sorting strings in an alphabetical order

Hi, I trying to find the solution for writing the programming in unix by shell programming for sorting thr string in alphabetical order. I getting diffculty in that ,, so i want to find out the solution for that Please do needful Thanks Bhagyesh (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: bp_vanarse
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

alphabetical check

echo $TEMP|grep "" I want to check TEMP is alphabetic or not in both the cases.but in above script i am getting 1($?) if TEMP is in pure lower case or pure upper case.i want to get 0($?) when TEMP would be alphabetic in either cases.pleaaaase help me out..... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arghya_owen
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

alphabetical order with out using sort command

hai, how can i sort a file alphabetically without using sort command (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahul801
6 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to use sed command with alphabetical and spaces?

If have a problem with this command: name="toe der" echo $name | sed -e 's/]//g' it will become: toeder how to make it back to original? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: elenatec
7 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How can I list the file under a directory both in alphabetical and in reverse alphabetical order?

How can I list the file under current directory both in alphabetical and in reverse alphabetical order? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: g.ashok
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Alphabetical sort for multi line records contains in a single file

Hi all, I So, I've got a monster text document comprising a list of various company names and associated info just in a long list one after another. I need to sort them alphabetically by name... The text document looks like this: Company Name: the_first_company's_name_here Address:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: quee1763
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

[SHELL] Userlist alphabetical order

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum and have recently started working with Linux. Quick question, I want a user list in alphabetical order as the output of a shell script. Who can help me!? Thanks! From the netherlands ;) (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: dennisbest85
5 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Script to list applications in alphabetical order

I've looking over a script for work and I've had a problem with the script not listing the files in alphabetical order. To look up PIDs for apps, it would be beneficial to have them listed in that order. Here is what I've been reviewing. #!/usr/bin/perl $str = sprintf "%4s %-40s", "PID",... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: whysolucky
7 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting lines between patterns in alphabetical order

Hi, need help in sorting lines between strings "<section status = “ole-service”>" and "</section>" in alphabetical order, based on the text in red. Hoping for an AWK or SED solution. Thank you. ... <section status = “ole-service”>... <p service = "OOO">XZZ</p> <p service = "AAA">AAA... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pioavi
3 Replies

10. Homework & Coursework Questions

Script program to count only alphabetical characters

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: Write a shell script program to count the ONLY the number of alphabetic characters stored in the shell variable... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kofine05
1 Replies
BASE64(1)							   User Commands							 BASE64(1)

NAME
base64 - base64 encode/decode data and print to standard output SYNOPSIS
base64 [OPTION]... [FILE] DESCRIPTION
Base64 encode or decode FILE, or standard input, to standard output. -w, --wrap=COLS Wrap encoded lines after COLS character (default 76). Use 0 to disable line wrapping. -d, --decode Decode data. -i, --ignore-garbage When decoding, ignore non-alphabet characters. --help Display this help and exit. --version Output version information and exit. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. The data are encoded as described for the base64 alphabet in RFC 3548. When decoding, the input may contain newlines in addition to the bytes of the formal base64 alphabet. Use --ignore-garbage to attempt to recover from any other non-alphabet bytes in the encoded stream. AUTHOR
Written by Simon Josefsson. REPORTING BUGS
Report base64 bugs to bug-coreutils@gnu.org GNU coreutils home page: <http://www.gnu.org/software/coreutils/> General help using GNU software: <http://www.gnu.org/gethelp/> COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2009 Free Software Foundation, Inc. License GPLv3+: GNU GPL version 3 or later <http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>. This is free software: you are free to change and redistribute it. There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for base64 is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and base64 programs are properly installed at your site, the command info coreutils 'base64 invocation' should give you access to the complete manual. GNU coreutils 7.1 July 2010 BASE64(1)