Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting 'for LINE in $(cat file)' breaking at spaces, not just newlines Post 302548600 by yazu on Thursday 18th of August 2011 09:38:39 PM
Old 08-18-2011
Don't write xml parsers in shell. Even the simplest one. Use right tools for job.
---
Code:
while read LINE; do
done <INPUTFILE

won't work well either, because of
1. It squashes the first blank spaces. 2. It wouldn't work if the last line doesn't end on the newline char. 3 It has quirks if a line has backslashes:
Code:
cat TESTFILE
<foo a="1">
    <bar b="2" c="Some string\n">
    </bar>
</foo>%
% while read -r LINE; do
  echo "$LINE"
done <TESTFILE
<foo a="1">
<bar b="2" c="Some string
">
</bar>

Yes, there are ways to do with it and shell is a programming language and it allows to do everything with it. But sed is Turing complete too.

Last edited by yazu; 08-18-2011 at 11:00 PM.. Reason: Added the word "well" and the proof.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Cat'ing a multiple line file to one line

I am writing a script that is running a loop on one file to obtain records from another file. Using egrep, I am finding matching records in file b, then outputing feilds of both into another file. **************************** filea=this.txt fileb=that.txt cat $filea | while read line do... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: djsal
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

newb help! file name with spaces breaking up when trying to retrieve it

for file in `ls *.txt` do sed '/s/old/new/g' $file > /tmp/tempfile.tmp mv /tmp/tempfile.tmp $file done the txt files names look like "text file one.txt", "text file two.txt" but when I run it, all i get is: sed: 0602-419 Cannot find or open file text. sed: 0602-419 Cannot find or... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: DeuceLee
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Breaking line

My input file is like USER_WORK.ABC USER_WORK.DEF I want output file like ABC DEF (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: scorp_rahul23
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat in the command line doesn't match cat in the script

Hello, So I sorted my file as I was supposed to: sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 file1 | uniq > file2 and when I wrote > cat file2 in the command line, I got what I was expecting, but in the script itself ... sort -n -r -k 2 -k 1 averages | uniq > temp cat file2 It wrote a whole... (21 Replies)
Discussion started by: shira
21 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

how to append spaces(say 10 spaces) at the end of each line based on the length of th

Hi, I have a problem where I need to append few spaces(say 10 spaces) for each line in a file whose length is say(100 chars) and others leave as it is. I tried to find the length of each line and then if the length is say 100 chars then tried to write those lines into another file and use a sed... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: prathima
17 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

split a line of a file and cat a file with another

Hi, I have two files one.txt laptop boy apple two.txt unix linux OS openS I want to split one.txt into one line each and concatenate it with the two.txt output files onea.txt laptop (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: avatar_007
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed remove newlines and spaces

Hi all, i am getting count from oracle 11g by spooling it to a file. Now there are some newline characters and blank spaces i need to remove these. pl provide me a awk/sed solution. the spooled file is attached. i tried this.. but not getting req o/p (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishav
6 Replies

8. AIX

Script to cat and dd last line!!! of each file

hi Guys, Am new to this awesome forum, and yea i need some help here asap thnx :) i have a directory with over 34000 text files, i need a script that will delete the last line of each of this file without me necessary opening the files. illustration:- file1 200 records file2 130 records... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: eetang
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sendmail with cat adding extra spaces in email body

when I try to read a file and send email using cat and sendmail: The email received having additional spaces.(Between the letters of words in the text) My code: export MAILTO="sa@y.com" export SUBJECT="mydomain PREPROD MONITOR AT ${DATE}" export... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: visitsany
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed a multiple line pattern that has newlines followed by text and r

Here is the text that I was to run sed on. In this text I want to insert a semi colon ';' before 'select a13.STORE_TYPE STORE_TYPE,' and after 'from ZZMR00 pa11' Input text: insert into ZZMQ01 select pa11.STATE_NBR STATE_NBR, pa11.STORE_TYPE STORE_TYPE, ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: v_vineeta11
9 Replies