Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Escaping " and ' in sed
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Escaping " and ' in sed Post 302548584 by imrikk on Thursday 18th of August 2011 07:55:56 PM
Old 08-18-2011
Escaping " and ' in sed

Okay, I have looked through everything and cant find it...

I need to append a line to the end of a a file: I can do it like this:

sed '$ a\additional line' -i file.txt

However, the extra line I need has both " and ' in it:

ie, "additional" line's has to be added.

sed '$ a\"additional" line' -i file.txt

works fine, but

sed '$ a\"additional" line's' -i file.txt

doesn't. I have tried a huge number of escapes, ie \', or using "" as the outside quotations, but I can't get anything to work.

Any help???

Thanks guys

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

cat $como_file | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g'

hi All, cat file_name | awk /^~/'{print $1","$2","$3","$4}' | sed -e 's/~//g' Can this be done by using sed or awk alone (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: harshakusam
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Escaping non-readable characters using grep, sed or awk

I'm trying to parse out DNS logs from dozens of different domain controllers over a large period of time. The logs are rolled up into individual text files by size, which may contain only a portion of a day's activity or several day's worth (depending on amount of activity). I'm splitting them by... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seanwpaul
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

setting variable value to dynamic sed match - escaping hell

Hello All, I'm trying to write a script that will perform a dynamic match (of a dynamic variable) and set a variable to have the resulting (match) value. The idea is that the environment variable to check ($1) and the regular expression to use ($2) are given as parameters. For example,... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: aedgar
5 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using sed to find text between a "string " and character ","

Hello everyone Sorry I have to add another sed question. I am searching a log file and need only the first 2 occurances of text which comes after (note the space) "string " and before a ",". I have tried sed -n 's/.*string \(*\),.*/\1/p' filewith some, but limited success. This gives out all... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: haggismn
10 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to remove a string

logs: "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/abc/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" "/home/xyz/public_html/index.php" how to use "cut" or "awk" or "sed" to get the following result: abc abc xyz xyz xyz (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: timmywong
8 Replies

6. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

Suggestion: adding two new groups "sed" and "awk"

Majority of the questions are pertaining file/string parsing w.r.t sed or awk It would be nice to have these two as their own sub category under shell-programming-scripting which can avoid lot of duplicate posts. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: jville
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed returns error "sed: -e expression #1, char 18: unterminated `s' command"

Hello All, I have something like below LDC100/rel/prod/libinactrl.a LAA2000/rel/prod/libinactrl.a I want to remove till first forward slash that is outputshould be as below rel/prod/libinactrl.a rel/prod/libinactrl.a How can I do that ??? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: anand.shah
8 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command escaping backslash "/"

Hello friends/'unix experts', i have a file as below cat sample.txt satish /rakesh/ sandhya /sandeep/ i have to replace /rakesh/ with rakesh, how can i do it with sed, i tried below code but its throwing errors sed -e 's/'"\(/rakesh/)\"'/\1rakesh/g' sample.txt ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: only4satish
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escaping backslash and asterisk in egrep to match "\*"

So far what i've got is egrep '^(\\)\*$'No luck. I've searched the web and not much luck. I know about the escape character \ but its confusing to figure out how to use it to match a backslash and use it to escape the asterisk also. Any ides? Thanks! (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: matthewfs
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed - replacement file path with variable - Escaping / character

Hi,, I have the line below in a file: $!VarSet |LFDSFN1| = '"E:\APC\Trials\20140705_427_Prototype Trial\Data\T4_20140705_Trial_Cycle_Data_13_T_Norm.txt" "VERSION=100 FILEEXT=\"*.txt\" FILEDESC=\"General Text\" "+""+"TITLE{SEARCH=NONE NAME=\"New Dataset\" LINE=1I want to write a script to change... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: carlr
2 Replies
FPARSELN(3)						   BSD Library Functions Manual 					       FPARSELN(3)

NAME
fparseln -- return the next logical line from a stream LIBRARY
Standard C Library (libc, -lc) SYNOPSIS
#include <stdio.h> char * fparseln(FILE *stream, size_t *len, size_t *lineno, const char delim[3], int flags); DESCRIPTION
The fparseln() function returns a pointer to the next logical line from the stream referenced by stream. This string is NUL terminated and it is dynamically allocated on each invocation. It is the responsibility of the caller to free the pointer. By default, if a character is escaped, both it and the preceding escape character will be present in the returned string. Various flags alter this behaviour. The meaning of the arguments is as follows: stream The stream to read from. len If not NULL, the length of the string is stored in the memory location to which it points. lineno If not NULL, the value of the memory location to which is pointed to, is incremented by the number of lines actually read from the file. delim Contains the escape, continuation, and comment characters. If a character is NUL then processing for that character is disabled. If NULL, all characters default to values specified below. The contents of delim is as follows: delim[0] The escape character, which defaults to , is used to remove any special meaning from the next character. delim[1] The continuation character, which defaults to , is used to indicate that the next line should be concatenated with the current one if this character is the last character on the current line and is not escaped. delim[2] The comment character, which defaults to #, if not escaped indicates the beginning of a comment that extends until the end of the current line. flags If non-zero, alter the operation of fparseln(). The various flags, which may be or-ed together, are: FPARSELN_UNESCCOMM Remove escape preceding an escaped comment. FPARSELN_UNESCCONT Remove escape preceding an escaped continuation. FPARSELN_UNESCESC Remove escape preceding an escaped escape. FPARSELN_UNESCREST Remove escape preceding any other character. FPARSELN_UNESCALL All of the above. RETURN VALUES
Upon successful completion a pointer to the parsed line is returned; otherwise, NULL is returned. The fparseln() function uses internally fgetln(3), so all error conditions that apply to fgetln(3), apply to fparseln(). In addition fparseln() may set errno to [ENOMEM] and return NULL if it runs out of memory. SEE ALSO
fgetln(3) HISTORY
The fparseln() function first appeared in NetBSD 1.4. BSD
November 30, 2002 BSD