Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Newbie Backup Script
Operating Systems OS X (Apple) Newbie Backup Script Post 302548536 by xbin on Thursday 18th of August 2011 04:26:06 PM
Old 08-18-2011
I see posibly two issues; the device disk number could change and the uncanny ability of OS X to write directorties that aren't mount point to the /Volumes directory. So first I would query diskutil and mount for the proper device then run something like ->
Code:
for MNT in /Volumes/*
do
if [[ $(/usr/bin/stat -f "%d" "$MNT") = $(/usr/bin/stat -f "%d" "$MNT/..") ]]; then
 echo $MNT is NOT a file system mount point
fi
done

Last edited by xbin; 08-19-2011 at 10:29 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Solaris 7 newbie tape backup question

Hello all, I have an ss20 running Solaris 7, with an attached 4mm tape drive. The machine has one 1.2GB SCSI HDD. I would like to backup other machines to tape, but I can't do a stopover on the ss20s hard disk, as there is virtually no space available. Is there a way I can make the tape... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jolok
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help - shell script newbie

My problem looks like it should have a simple solution but it seems that after many days of research I cannot find a good solution. What I have is an input file that contains lines of information. What I need is to extract specific information from that file. What I know is that somewhere in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: eback
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie Question - Help with script

Hi I have about 5000 expired images that need removed from disk. Instead of doing it manually I am trying to use the following script: #vi remove_expired_images FilePath=/Scripts for i in `cat $FilePath/backupid.txt` do #echo $i >> $FilePath/Jim.txt... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jamba1
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Expect script help (newbie)

Im a UNIX newbie so please excuse the little knowledge I have, Im trying to learn. I created a script that logs into multiple servers, gets data and saves it on the local server. The script looks like this.. #!/opt/local/bin/expect # Set username/password to initially login to switch.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jay11789
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie needs help with ping script

Hi all, I've been trying to get this script right for the past few days and just can't figure out where I'm going wrong. Since one of my internet connections is extremely flaky I want to run this script to ping every 5 minutes and then reboot the router via telnet if I don't get a response. ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: goatmilk
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Newbie wanting help with a script

Hi I am new to scripting and having trouble with an assignment. I have written this script: #!/bin/bash PATH=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin printf "\nWhat is the name of the input file? " read INPUT_FILE if test ! -f ./$INPUT_FILE ; then printf "\nNo matching file... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: foyn
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

rsync backup mode(--backup) Are there any options to remove backup folders on successful deployment?

Hi Everyone, we are running rsync with --backup mode, Are there any rsync options to remove backup folders on successful deployment? Thanks in adv. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: MVEERA
0 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

please help newbie with script

hi!i am musician and have very little knowledge about shell here's my script #!/bin/bash for (( ; ; )) do wget some wikipedia article here --output-document=- > /dev/audio done so it downloads random wikipedia page (forum doesnt let me post link so i wrote some wikipedia article here... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: karlhungus
6 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Shell script newbie, what is problem with my script?

Hello, Ubuntu server 11.10 can anybody help what is problem with my shell script? #!/bin/bash #script to find out currently logged on user is root or not. if ] then echo "You are super" else echo "You are awesome!" fi When I run script, I get following output ./uid: line 3: I... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaustubh
4 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Backup Shell Script for Network Device Configuration backup

HI all, im new to shell scripting. need your guidence for my script. i wrote one script and is attached here Im explaining the requirement of script. AIM: Shell script to run automatically as per scheduled and backup few network devices configurations. Script will contain a set of commands... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: saichand1985
4 Replies
MOUNT_AFP(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					      MOUNT_AFP(8)

NAME
mount_afp -- mount an afp (AppleShare) filesystem SYNOPSIS
mount_afp [-i] [-s] [-k] [-o options] afp_url node DESCRIPTION
The mount_afp command mounts the AFP volume denoted by the afp_url afp://[user[;AUTH=uamname][:password]@]host[:port]/volumename at the mount point indicated by node. This command is normally executed by mount(8) when the -t afp option is used. If the -i option is not used, all the required information to establish a login to the remote server must be available in the afp URL, including username & password if needed. The arguments and options are: -i Interactive mode, you are prompted for the password if you did not supply one in the url. -s Soft mount (default). Network errors, e.g. timeouts, will be retried for a much shorter amount of time. If the network errors per- sist, then the mount will be force unmounted. -k Hard mount. Network errors, e.g. timeouts, will be retried for an extended amount of time. If the network errors persist, then the mount will be force unmounted. -o Options passed to mount(2) are specified with the -o option followed by a comma separated string of options. See the mount(8) man page for possible options and their meanings. Additional options supported by the AFP Client are as follows: nobrowse Indicate to the Carbon subsystem that this volume is not to be displayed to the user. automounted Set flags on the mountpoint to indicate that the volume has been mounted by the automounter. afp_url There are two forms of afp URL, one for TCP/IP and one for AppleTalk: afp://[user[;AUTH=uamname][:password]@]host[:port]/volume afp:/at/[user[;AUTH=uamname][:password]@]servername[:zonename]/volume Denotes the afp server and sharepoint to mount. It may also contain the username & password required to log into the server. uamname is the protocol name of the authentication method. If port is not specified, then port 548 is used. node Path to mount point, which must be a directory that the user has write permissions for. EXAMPLES
The following example illustrates how to mount the afp volume server.company.com/volumename/ at the mount point /Volumes/mntpnt: mkdir /Volumes/mntpnt mount_afp afp://username:userpass@server.company.com/volumename/ /Volumes/mntpnt This example shows the proper url to use to mount the volume guestVolume from the afp server myserver as guest (if no uam and no username, then use guest uam): mkdir /Volumes/guest mount_afp "afp://myserver/guestVolume" /Volumes/guest This example shows the proper url to use to mount the volume myVolume from the afp server myserver using Kerberos authentication: mkdir /Volumes/myVolume mount_afp "afp://;AUTH=Client%20Krb%20v2@myserver/myVolume" /Volumes/myVolume SEE ALSO
mount(2), unmount(2), mount(8) HISTORY
The mount_afp command first appeared Mac OS X version 10.0. Kerberos authentication was added in Mac OS X version 10.2 RETURN VALUES
0 mount_afp successfully mounted the volume directory. [ENODEV (19)] The server volume could not be mounted by mount_afp because the server was not found or because the sharepoint does not exist, or because node does not have proper access. [EACCES (13)] The volume could not be mounted by mount_afp because the user did not provide proper authentication credentials. [ENOTDIR (20)] The volume could not be mounted by mount_afp because the mountpoint was not a directory. Mac OS X May 8, 2002 Mac OS X