Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Starting out, Linux Distribution Post 302548409 by theKbStockpiler on Thursday 18th of August 2011 10:31:20 AM
Old 08-18-2011
My take is.....

I think Mandriva is the best beginners to intermediate Distro there is. Mandriva has a closely related cousin by the name of Mageia. These both Have M.C.C Mandriva Control Center and drak or draketools I can't remember which and are RPM based. Fedora is a really good one as well in my opinion but I think a little experience on a more polished distro is needed. Suse has a interface that is bloated like Vista or something. I don't understand who would find it appealing. Ubuntu is heavy with the GUI end and is probably best for people with only have menu-type of computer experience. Debian is also worth a look. The thing with Linux distros is that the difficult ones don't have package managers etcetera. They are merely a stripped down version. You can do the same things with a fully equipped distro if you want. There is nothing stopping you.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Starting up linux to Console

How do i start linux without going straight into X window enviroment, but into the console instead, and also, how do i get back in ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stealthdestroyr
2 Replies

2. Linux

mysql not starting with fedora linux

Hi... I have installed mysql in Fedora and when i tried to start mysql the error i get was "Asked for 196608 thread stack" What might be the problem???? I have tried all ways but doesnt work out........ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to know which Linux Distribution i am using

Hi, I m working on many Linux servers in my project. But i am unable to know which Linux Distribution i am using Like whether i am using SUSE or REDHAT or MONDRAKE. I tried with "uname" command. But it does not help me. Please provide me the command if u know. Regards, Basavaraja KC (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BasavarajaKC
3 Replies

4. Linux

Starting over, making a living with linux?

I really like to use linux, although I freely admit I don't know squat about it. I can install it, update it and get it to most of what I would like it to do, up to running some windows apps on it. I am going back so to school starting on the 25th, with a declared major of Information... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Methal
1 Replies

5. Linux

Starting Linux for a Programmer

Hi all I am application Programmer. In my college(2 yrs back) i have learnt Unix i.e commads, shell scripts, Filesystem,I reffered to a book by "Sumitabha Das". I want to learn Linux. But i cant understand where should i start from and which book to refer to. Most of the books these days eg.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FullMetal
2 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

What was your first Linux distribution?

What was the first Linux distribution you tried? My first was Knoppix, it was pretty good I thought, and it supported my old hardware http://www.linuxforum.com/images/smilies/smile.png Too bad I couldn't figure out how to install it at the time though. What about you? (32 Replies)
Discussion started by: billcrosby
32 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a line not starting with # from a file (there are two lines starting with # and normal)?

e.g. File name: File.txt cat File.txt Result: #INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ1 INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ2 I want to get the value for one which is not commented out. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies
TIME(2) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   TIME(2)

NAME
time - get time in seconds SYNOPSIS
#include <time.h> time_t time(time_t *t); DESCRIPTION
time returns the time since the Epoch (00:00:00 UTC, January 1, 1970), measured in seconds. If t is non-NULL, the return value is also stored in the memory pointed to by t. RETURN VALUE
On success, the value of time in seconds since the Epoch is returned. On error, ((time_t)-1) is returned, and errno is set appropriately. ERRORS
EFAULT t points outside your accessible address space. NOTES
POSIX.1 defines seconds since the Epoch as a value to be interpreted as the number of seconds between a specified time and the Epoch, according to a formula for conversion from UTC equivalent to conversion on the naive basis that leap seconds are ignored and all years divisible by 4 are leap years. This value is not the same as the actual number of seconds between the time and the Epoch, because of leap seconds and because clocks are not required to be synchronised to a standard reference. The intention is that the interpretation of sec- onds since the Epoch values be consistent; see POSIX.1 Annex B 2.2.2 for further rationale. CONFORMING TO
SVr4, SVID, POSIX, X/OPEN, BSD 4.3 Under BSD 4.3, this call is obsoleted by gettimeofday(2). POSIX does not specify any error conditions. SEE ALSO
ctime(3), date(1), ftime(3), gettimeofday(2) Linux 2.0.30 1997-09-09 TIME(2)