Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Multiple Backups to USB 1TB Drives using dd Post 302548179 by solaris_user on Wednesday 17th of August 2011 04:32:22 PM
Old 08-17-2011
cpio and gunzip or tar for cheap backup, for furthere use migrate UFS to ZFS using lucreatre, luactivate commands and in the future you can easily backup your data on remote server using ssh and zfs send, zfs receive.
Problem with ufsdump is that only Solaris knows how to read it because UFS isn't platform independent. As one more solution you can create UDF image with lofi device and then move one UDF image.

Last edited by solaris_user; 08-18-2011 at 06:27 AM..

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple backups on one tape

For those with backup tapes (and I just bought and installed a Seagate one for my FreeBSD box) I want to know how to get the most out of each tape by placing multiple backups on each tape (potentially 20GB). Please correct me if I'm wrong: First, retension the tape: # mt retension next, turn... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: WIntellect
3 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Mounting USB Drives in Solaris 9 x86

I'm trying to moun my external USB Mass Storage Drive (80GB) in my Solaris 9 box, I am new to Solaris, and kind of new to linux / unix variants. The external HD contains windows files, but I will be using it as a central storage area for my windows/ linux clients. Thanks -- N:confused:C (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: N0C717
1 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

USB Thumb Drives

I'm hunting around for thumb drives that aren't working. Something you may have kicking around in a drawer that you don't need any more. One you've upgraded and just don't need. I'm willing to pay a couple bucks for you to drop it into an envelope with a few stamps and send it along. I'm... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
0 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Tape drives used for taking backups

Hi, I am a abit new in AIX system administration field. I want to gather knowledge about backup techniques. As per my knowledge we use Tape archives for taking backups. Can anyone pls explain me in detail abt tape archive? Whether these tape archives come along with the systems or we have to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forumsrahul
1 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

USB Flash Drives

Can Solaris/any GNU/Linux distros/ any flavor of FreeBSD be booted, right from aUSB flash drive? Mine's the one pictured here. SanDisk | Products | USB Flash Drives | SanDisk CruzerŽ Titanium Plus USB Flash Drive Also, on a completely unrelated note (just so I don't have to fill up forum... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: led3234
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Does Solaris Volume Manager support USB flash drives?

I would like to mirror or stripe across multiple USB flash drives on a Sun Blade 100 workstation running Solaris 10. Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoda9999
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Script to Detect and List USB Flash Drives

Hello. This is my first post to this forum. I've read many of the posts over the last two or three years and I've learned a lot. I'm creating a live Linux distribution using the Linux Live Scripts -- just as a hobby project -- and I'm wanting to create an automated way for a user to copy the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: godzillarama
7 Replies

8. Solaris

solaris ethernet card and mounting usb drives

I had installed soalris 10 on my dell vostro 1400.It had installed succefully. If i type ifconfig -a it is showing only my loop back adpater. So how to tell me how to mount my usb drive and how to configure my lan ethernet card,My lan ethernet card is Broadcom. Tell me step... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: testerindia25
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Anyway to do ufsdump os backup to usb drives

hi folks happy new year to all, I haven't been coming round for a long time. I've been googling about this can't seem to find any good examples, I need to know if it's possible to do a ufsdump os backup into a usb flash drive. Then what about in event of os recovery when we boot to single... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
2 Replies
scha_resourcetype_get(1HA)				       Sun Cluster Commands					scha_resourcetype_get(1HA)

NAME
scha_resourcetype_get - access resource type information SYNOPSIS
scha_resourcetype_get -O optag -T type DESCRIPTION
The scha_resourcetype_get command accesses information about a resource type that is registered with the Resource Group Manager (RGM). Use this command in shell script implementations of the callback methods for resource types that represent services that are controlled by the RGM. This command provides the same information as the scha_resourcetype_get(3HA) C function. Information is output by this command to the standard output (stdout) in formatted strings, as described in the scha_cmds(1HA) man page. Output is a string or several strings that are output on separate lines. You can store the output in shell variables. You can also parse the output by using the awk(1) command or other shell commands for further use by the script. You need solaris.cluster.resource.read RBAC authorization to use this command. See the rbac(5) man page. Authorized users can issue privileged Sun Cluster commands on the command line from the pfsh(1), pfcsh(1), or pfksh(1) profile shell. A profile shell is a special kind of shell that enables you to access privileged Sun Cluster commands that are assigned to the Sun Cluster Commands rights profile. A profile shell is launched when you run su(1M) to assume a role. You can also use pfexec(1) to issue privileged Sun Cluster commands. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -O optag Indicates the information to be accessed. Note - optag options, such as API_VERSION and BOOT, are not case sensitive. You can use any combination of uppercase and lowercase letters when you specify optag options. The following optag values retrieve the corresponding resource type properties. The value of the named property of the resource's type is output. API_VERSION BOOT FAILOVER FINI INIT INIT_NODES INSTALLED_NODES IS_LOGICAL_HOSTNAME IS_SHARED_ADDRESS MONITOR_CHECK MONITOR_START MONITOR_STOP PKGLIST POSTNET_STOP PRENET_START RESOURCE_LIST RT_BASEDIR RT_DESCRIPTION RT_SYSTEM RT_VERSION SINGLE_INSTANCE START STOP UPDATE VALIDATE -T type Is the name of a resource type that is registered for use by the RGM cluster facility. EXIT STATUS
The following exit values are returned: 0 The command completed successfully. nonzero An error occurred. Failure error codes are described scha_calls(3HA). ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Availability |SUNWscdev | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Stable | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
awk(1), scha_cmds(1HA), scha_calls(3HA), scha_resourcetype_get(3HA), attributes(5), rt_properties(5) Sun Cluster 3.2 31 May 2006 scha_resourcetype_get(1HA)