Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Multiple Backups to USB 1TB Drives using dd Post 302548005 by ShawnD41 on Wednesday 17th of August 2011 08:28:46 AM
Old 08-17-2011
Multiple Backups to USB 1TB Drives using dd

First of all, great web site! I have been using it for a while but just registered today. It's been a great resource for me. Now, on to my issue.Smilie

I'm geographically separated from six (Sun v245s) development servers that I have been asked to backup and restore as development is done and redone to verify procedures. I have a guy there locally that will manage the backups and is able to put hands on the boxes. Before I was charged with this my boss purchased six 1TB USB drives to store the backups for each server. Space is not an issue these servers have four 146G drives set up in RADI 1+0.

I provided instructions to my guy there locally to boot off a live CD and use dd to copy the data over to the usb drives. Here is the syntax of the commands we are using:

Code:
dd if=/dev/dsk/c0t0... | gzip > /usbdrive/image_name.gz
gzip -dc /usbdrive/image_name.gz | dd of=/dev/dsk/c0t0...

This process works fine, the only complaint I got was the time it takes to accomplish this. Honestly, I don't care but I wanted to help him out. He was asking about using usfdump/ufsrestore, but I've always been a dd person.
Does anyone see a better way of doing this? We need the multiple backups so that we can put the server in the different stages of development for testing. Thanks.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Multiple backups on one tape

For those with backup tapes (and I just bought and installed a Seagate one for my FreeBSD box) I want to know how to get the most out of each tape by placing multiple backups on each tape (potentially 20GB). Please correct me if I'm wrong: First, retension the tape: # mt retension next, turn... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: WIntellect
3 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Mounting USB Drives in Solaris 9 x86

I'm trying to moun my external USB Mass Storage Drive (80GB) in my Solaris 9 box, I am new to Solaris, and kind of new to linux / unix variants. The external HD contains windows files, but I will be using it as a central storage area for my windows/ linux clients. Thanks -- N:confused:C (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: N0C717
1 Replies

3. What is on Your Mind?

USB Thumb Drives

I'm hunting around for thumb drives that aren't working. Something you may have kicking around in a drawer that you don't need any more. One you've upgraded and just don't need. I'm willing to pay a couple bucks for you to drop it into an envelope with a few stamps and send it along. I'm... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: BOFH
0 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

Tape drives used for taking backups

Hi, I am a abit new in AIX system administration field. I want to gather knowledge about backup techniques. As per my knowledge we use Tape archives for taking backups. Can anyone pls explain me in detail abt tape archive? Whether these tape archives come along with the systems or we have to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: forumsrahul
1 Replies

5. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

USB Flash Drives

Can Solaris/any GNU/Linux distros/ any flavor of FreeBSD be booted, right from aUSB flash drive? Mine's the one pictured here. SanDisk | Products | USB Flash Drives | SanDisk CruzerŽ Titanium Plus USB Flash Drive Also, on a completely unrelated note (just so I don't have to fill up forum... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: led3234
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Does Solaris Volume Manager support USB flash drives?

I would like to mirror or stripe across multiple USB flash drives on a Sun Blade 100 workstation running Solaris 10. Thanks! (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoda9999
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH Script to Detect and List USB Flash Drives

Hello. This is my first post to this forum. I've read many of the posts over the last two or three years and I've learned a lot. I'm creating a live Linux distribution using the Linux Live Scripts -- just as a hobby project -- and I'm wanting to create an automated way for a user to copy the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: godzillarama
7 Replies

8. Solaris

solaris ethernet card and mounting usb drives

I had installed soalris 10 on my dell vostro 1400.It had installed succefully. If i type ifconfig -a it is showing only my loop back adpater. So how to tell me how to mount my usb drive and how to configure my lan ethernet card,My lan ethernet card is Broadcom. Tell me step... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: testerindia25
1 Replies

9. Solaris

Anyway to do ufsdump os backup to usb drives

hi folks happy new year to all, I haven't been coming round for a long time. I've been googling about this can't seem to find any good examples, I need to know if it's possible to do a ufsdump os backup into a usb flash drive. Then what about in event of os recovery when we boot to single... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
2 Replies
XmDropSiteRegister(library call)										  XmDropSiteRegister(library call)

NAME
XmDropSiteRegister -- A Drag and Drop function that identifies a drop site and assigns resources that specify its behavior SYNOPSIS
#include <Xm/DragDrop.h> void XmDropSiteRegister( Widget widget, ArgList arglist, Cardinal argcount); DESCRIPTION
XmDropSiteRegister identifies the specified widget or gadget as a drop site and sets resource values that define the drop site's behavior. The routine assigns default values to any resources that are not specified in the argument list. The toolkit generates a warning message if a drop site is registered with XmNdropSiteActivity set to XmDROP_SITE_ACTIVE and the XmNdropProc resource is NULL. If the drop site is a descendant of a widget that is registered as a drop site, the XmNdropSiteType resource of the ancestor drop site must be specified as XmDROP_SITE_COMPOSITE. The ancestor must be registered before the descendant. The drop site is stacked above all other sib- ling drop sites already registered. widget Specifies the ID of the widget to be registered. arglist Specifies the argument list. argcount Specifies the number of attribute/value pairs in the argument list (arglist). For a complete definition of DropSite and its associated resources, see XmDropSite(3). RELATED
XmDisplay(3), XmDropSite(3), XmDropSiteEndUpdate(3), XmDropSiteStartUpdate(3), XmDropSiteUpdate(3), XmDropSiteUnregister(3), and XmScreen(3). XmDropSiteRegister(library call)