Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: more than 10 identical lines
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers more than 10 identical lines Post 302547776 by Corona688 on Tuesday 16th of August 2011 02:17:12 PM
Old 08-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude2cool
Code:
for i in `command`
do
grep $i /tmp/yourinputfile
done

This is, again, a useless use of cat, inefficient and occasionally dangerous.

Code:
 command > /tmp/$$

while read LINE
do
done < /tmp/$$

rm -f /tmp/$$

I don't think your xargs version is going to work, since it will take multiple arguments beyond the first one to be filenames. If your system supports xargs -n, the -n 1 parameter would fix that.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to check the files are Identical or not?

Hi, I am taking backup in every hr and every day, I want to programmatically check my backup files are identical with original files. Any methods are available in Unix scripts? Any idea.? I don't want to download both and compare, I looking for idea to develop a script to read both files and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: redlotus72
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replace 2 identical strings on different lines

I am looking to replace two or more strings on different lines using sed, but not with the same variable. IE # cat xxx.file <abc> abc def ghi abc def ghi abc def ghi currently I can only change each line with the same pattern: # sed -e '/<abc>/!s/abc\(.*\)/jkl mno/' xxx.file abc jkl mno... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prkfriryce
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Ignore identical lines

Hello Experts, I have two files called "old" and "new". My old file contains 10 lines and my new file contains 10 + "n" lines. The first field in both these files contain ID. I sort these two files on ID. I am interested in only the lines that are in the new file and not in old. I tried... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: forumthreads
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

to get two almost identical rows into one

Hi All, I am having hard time in getting two almost identical rows into one, I know how to do if starting word is unique, anyhow this is my problem Input File: issue1 5167 dum 1 1 kkk 7888 dum 2 1 ffff 7888 dum 2 2 llll 7888 dum 3 1 eee 7888 issue2 7667 dum 2 1 jjjj 8999 dum 2 2 jjjj... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ricky315
3 Replies

5. Ubuntu

reinstall identical system?

I have my Ubuntu system nicely tailored to my needs, with specific software installed, and other things removed. I'd like to build a new PC, and have the identical software configuration on it. Is there some easy way to export the list of installed software to a file? Then have the new machine... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lupin..the..3rd
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Scan a file in realtime and execute certain commands on encountering 5 consecutive identical lines

Mysql log has something like below: I need a bash shell script that will do the following: 1) The script will scan the mysql.log file constantly in real time (something like tail -F mysql.log) 2) If it encounters 5 consecutive identical lines then it would invoke some commands (say... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: proactiveaditya
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed print all lines between second and third identical lines

I am trying to extract a table of data (mysql query output) from a log file. I need to print everything below the header and not past the end of the table. I have spent many hours searching with little progress. I am matching the regexp +-\{99\} with no problem. I just can't figure out how to print... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: godfreydanials
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Combine identical lines and average the one variable field

I have the following file 299899 chrX_299716_300082 196 78.2903 299991 chrX_299982_300000 18.2538 Tajd:0.745591 FayWu:-0.245701 T2:1.45 299899 chrX_299716_300082 196 78.2903 299991 chrX_299982_300000 18.2538 Tajd:0.745591 FayWu:-0.245701 T2:0.283 311027 chrX_310892_311162 300 91.6452... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jfern
2 Replies

9. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

How to delete identical lines while leaving one undeleted?

Hi, I have a file as follows. file1 Hello Hi His Hi Hi Hungry hi so I want to delete identical lines while leaving one of them undeleted. So desired output will be Hello Hi (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginner_99
2 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

awk - If field value of consecutive records are the identical print portion of lines

I have some data that looks like this: PXD= ZW< 1,6 QR> QRJ== 1,2(5) QR> QRJ== 4,1(2) QR> QRJ== 4,2 QRB= QRB 4,2 QWM QWM 6,2 R<C ZW< 11,2 R<H= R<J= 6,1 R>H XZJ= 1,2(2) R>H XZJ= 2,6(2) R>H XZJ= 4,1(2) R>H XZJ= 6,2 RDP RDP 1,2 What I would like to do is if fields $1 and $2 are... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: jvoot
5 Replies
DH_MOVEFILES(1) 						     Debhelper							   DH_MOVEFILES(1)

NAME
dh_movefiles - move files out of debian/tmp into subpackages SYNOPSIS
dh_movefiles [debhelperoptions] [--sourcedir=dir] [-Xitem] [file...] DESCRIPTION
dh_movefiles is a debhelper program that is responsible for moving files out of debian/tmp or some other directory and into other package build directories. This may be useful if your package has a Makefile that installs everything into debian/tmp, and you need to break that up into subpackages. Note: dh_install is a much better program, and you are recommended to use it instead of dh_movefiles. FILES
debian/package.files Lists the files to be moved into a package, separated by whitespace. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. OPTIONS
--sourcedir=dir Instead of moving files out of debian/tmp (the default), this option makes it move files out of some other directory. Since the entire contents of the sourcedir is moved, specifying something like --sourcedir=/ is very unsafe, so to prevent mistakes, the sourcedir must be a relative filename; it cannot begin with a `/'. -Xitem, --exclude=item Exclude files that contain item anywhere in their filename from being installed. file ... Lists files to move. The filenames listed should be relative to debian/tmp/. You can also list directory names, and the whole directory will be moved. It is an error to list files here unless you use -p, -i, or -a to tell dh_movefiles which subpackage to put them in. NOTES
Note that files are always moved out of debian/tmp by default (even if you have instructed debhelper to use a compatibility level higher than one, which does not otherwise use debian/tmp for anything at all). The idea behind this is that the package that is being built can be told to install into debian/tmp, and then files can be moved by dh_movefiles from that directory. Any files or directories that remain are ignored, and get deleted by dh_clean later. SEE ALSO
debhelper(7) This program is a part of debhelper. AUTHOR
Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> 11.1.6ubuntu2 2018-05-10 DH_MOVEFILES(1)