Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Solaris x86 installation using jumpstart does not local boot ( boot from hdd) Post 302547621 by DukeNuke2 on Tuesday 16th of August 2011 07:51:58 AM
Old 08-16-2011
have you tried to disable booting from network (change bootorder in BIOS)?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

dual boot solaris off of 2nd HDD

I did a search on the board, but I could not find anything specific to dual booting windows and solaris, with solaris being placed on a second hard drive. I have solaris 8 intel, and I am trying to dual boot, but the Solaris installation process is quite intimidating. I am afraid I am going to do... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
3 Replies

2. Solaris

Solaris 10 x86 1/06 CD1 boot fail

Hello all. I download last version from sun.com, unzip iso's and burn their to cd's. When i try to load (on different machines) from first cd i receive this errors: /kernel/fs/specfs: undefined symbol '' /kernel/fs/specfs: undefined symbol '' ... several screens same message ....... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mozheyko_d
1 Replies

3. Solaris

Solaris 10 x86 Installation Will Not Boot From CD Disks

Problem: Am trying to install Solaris 10 x86 on a desktop PC (PC details unspecified) from downloaded iso images (5 in all) on 5 CD disks. These were downloaded from the Sun website and unzipped. I install Disk 1of 5 into the CD drive and then restart the machine, thinkng that it will launch... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: RobSand
5 Replies

4. Solaris

Installation of Solaris 10 11/06 on X86 Platform with Xp SP2 as dual boot

Please help to install Solaris 10 11/06 on X86 platform with XP Sp2 as dual boot . Iam not unable to complete the installation as it shows that NO DISK AVAILABLE even i have assigned the unpartioned space of 30 GB PLz help me as my life was tired to do Installation before i retire from the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: skargarika
2 Replies

5. Solaris

One time network boot of Jumpstart x86 client

I am trying to find an approach that has been effective for automating the installation of Solaris 10 x86 using Jumpstart technology. I have configured an Jumpstart server and a Solaris dhcp server with appropriate macros for passing the client information about its boot environment. The problem is... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chajo19
7 Replies

6. Solaris

Solaris X86 grub boot menu

I have a x4200 m2 that I've installed Solaris 10 on. I've created a raid 1 mirror using disk0 and disk1. I'm trying to add the mirror bootblk to the grub menu so in case of a failure of disk0, I can simply boot from the mirrored disk1. I'm looking for the syntax to add the alternate boot path to... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gonzotonka
5 Replies

7. Solaris

x86 Solaris 8 does not boot.

Hello, First of all I must say that I have 0 solaris experience and only some average linux knowledge. One of my friends came to ask for my help today with a Solaris 8 x86 station that would not boot. The system is a pentium 4 1.6 ghz, 1gb ram, 40 gb hdd. When I turn it on, I get ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gogusrl
3 Replies

8. Solaris

Problems cloning Solaris 10 x86 Installation to bigger HDD

Dear All, I have been trying to move my existing Solaris Installation (x86, 10/08) to a bigger HDD. So I created a 22 cylinder boot partition and used the rest of the space for a Solaris2 partition. Then I created slices same size like on my current disk. I copied all files with cpio and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BigT79
3 Replies

9. Solaris

How to specify local boot up disk in CD boot Grub?

Hi Solaris 10 Experts, I am wondering what is the correct syntax to edit in Grub when trying to specify the local ZFS boot disk while booting up from a Solaris 10 x86 64bits DVD installation disk. In other word, I try to boot up from local disk without removing the Solaris installation disk... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: gjackson123
0 Replies

10. Solaris

Boot Solaris 10 U1 for x86 from DVD

Is it possible to boot an existing Solaris 10 update 1 from boot dvd that I run on p3(1 ghz -512 mb ram). I have got a dual boot sys - the other os is win xp that I need to reinstall but that removes the mbr so, is there any way to recover mbr after the installation of xp? Thanks. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vectrum
3 Replies
BOOT0CFG(8)						    BSD System Manager's Manual 					       BOOT0CFG(8)

NAME
boot0cfg -- boot manager installation/configuration utility SYNOPSIS
boot0cfg [-Bv] [-b boot0] [-d drive] [-e bell character] [-f file] [-i volume-id] [-m mask] [-o options] [-s slice] [-t ticks] disk DESCRIPTION
The FreeBSD 'boot0' boot manager permits the operator to select from which disk and slice an i386 machine (PC) is booted. Note that what are referred to here as ``slices'' are typically called ``partitions'' in non-BSD documentation relating to the PC. Typi- cally, only non-removable disks are sliced. The boot0cfg utility optionally installs the 'boot0' boot manager on the specified disk; and allows various operational parameters to be con- figured. On PCs, a boot manager typically occupies sector 0 of a disk, which is known as the Master Boot Record (MBR). The MBR contains both code (to which control is passed by the PC BIOS) and data (an embedded table of defined slices). The options are: -B Install the 'boot0' boot manager. This option causes MBR code to be replaced, without affecting the embedded slice table. -b boot0 Specify which 'boot0' image to use. The default is /boot/boot0 which will use the video card as output, alternatively /boot/boot0sio can be used for output to the COM1 port. (Be aware that nothing will be output to the COM1 port unless the modem signals DSR and CTS are active.) -d drive Specify the drive number used by the PC BIOS in referencing the drive which contains the specified disk. Typically this will be 0x80 for the first hard drive, 0x81 for the second hard drive, and so on; however any integer between 0 and 0xff is acceptable here. -e bell character Set the character to be printed in case of input error. -f file Specify that a backup copy of the preexisting MBR should be written to file. This file is created if it does not exist, and replaced if it does. -i volume-id Specifies a volume-id (in the form XXXX-XXXX) to be saved at location 0x1b8 in the MBR. This information is sometimes used by NT, XP and Vista to identify the disk drive. The option is only compatible with version 2.00 of the 512-byte boot block. -m mask Specify slices to be enabled/disabled, where mask is an integer between 0 (no slices enabled) and 0xf (all four slices enabled). Each mask bit enables corresponding slice if set to 1. The least significant bit of the mask corresponds to slice 1, the most sig- nificant bit of the mask corresponds to slice 4. -o options A comma-separated string of any of the following options may be specified (with ``no'' prepended as necessary): packet Use the disk packet (BIOS INT 0x13 extensions) interface, as opposed to the legacy (CHS) interface, when doing disk I/O. This allows booting above cylinder 1023, but requires specific BIOS support. The default is 'packet'. setdrv Forces the drive containing the disk to be referenced using drive number definable by means of the -d option. The default is 'nosetdrv'. update Allow the MBR to be updated by the boot manager. (The MBR may be updated to flag slices as 'active', and to save slice selection information.) This is the default; a 'noupdate' option causes the MBR to be treated as read-only. -s slice Set the default boot selection to slice. Values between 1 and 4 refer to slices; a value of 5 refers to the option of booting from a second disk. The special string ``PXE'' or a value of 6 can be used to boot via PXE. -t ticks Set the timeout value to ticks. (There are approximately 18.2 ticks per second.) -v Verbose: display information about the slices defined, etc. FILES
/boot/boot0 The default 'boot0' image /boot/boot0sio Image for serial consoles (COM1,9600,8,N,1,MODEM) EXIT STATUS
The boot0cfg utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
To boot slice 2 on the next boot: boot0cfg -s 2 ada0 To enable just slices 1 and 3 in the menu: boot0cfg -m 0x5 ada0 To go back to non-interactive booting, use fdisk(8) to install the default MBR: fdisk -B ada0 SEE ALSO
geom(4), boot(8), fdisk(8), gpart(8) AUTHORS
Robert Nordier <rnordier@FreeBSD.org> BUGS
Use of the 'packet' option may cause 'boot0' to fail, depending on the nature of BIOS support. Use of the 'setdrv' option with an incorrect -d operand may cause the boot0 code to write the MBR to the wrong disk, thus trashing its previ- ous content. Be careful. BSD
October 1, 2013 BSD