Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Fedora Starting out, Linux Distribution Post 302547438 by Corona688 on Monday 15th of August 2011 04:30:22 PM
Old 08-15-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Nick
I'm already on my way using a virtual machine one of my teachers made (SUN Linux)
I wasn't aware of Sun having a Linux variety? Not all UNIX is Linux.
Quote:
1. What Linux Distribution do you think is the best and why is that so?
Religious wars aside, which distro is "best" entirely depends on what you want to do with it. That's why different distros exist.
Quote:
Which Linux do you use and why?
I use Gentoo because it's great for software developers and general playing around with. It's not user friendly. Neither will you have to fight against any magic autoconfigurator. On the other hand there is no magic autoconfigurator.
Quote:
2. Is there a IRC channel or some chat connected to this forum?
No.

7 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Starting up linux to Console

How do i start linux without going straight into X window enviroment, but into the console instead, and also, how do i get back in ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: stealthdestroyr
2 Replies

2. Linux

mysql not starting with fedora linux

Hi... I have installed mysql in Fedora and when i tried to start mysql the error i get was "Asked for 196608 thread stack" What might be the problem???? I have tried all ways but doesnt work out........ (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to know which Linux Distribution i am using

Hi, I m working on many Linux servers in my project. But i am unable to know which Linux Distribution i am using Like whether i am using SUSE or REDHAT or MONDRAKE. I tried with "uname" command. But it does not help me. Please provide me the command if u know. Regards, Basavaraja KC (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BasavarajaKC
3 Replies

4. Linux

Starting over, making a living with linux?

I really like to use linux, although I freely admit I don't know squat about it. I can install it, update it and get it to most of what I would like it to do, up to running some windows apps on it. I am going back so to school starting on the 25th, with a declared major of Information... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Methal
1 Replies

5. Linux

Starting Linux for a Programmer

Hi all I am application Programmer. In my college(2 yrs back) i have learnt Unix i.e commads, shell scripts, Filesystem,I reffered to a book by "Sumitabha Das". I want to learn Linux. But i cant understand where should i start from and which book to refer to. Most of the books these days eg.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: FullMetal
2 Replies

6. What is on Your Mind?

What was your first Linux distribution?

What was the first Linux distribution you tried? My first was Knoppix, it was pretty good I thought, and it supported my old hardware http://www.linuxforum.com/images/smilies/smile.png Too bad I couldn't figure out how to install it at the time though. What about you? (32 Replies)
Discussion started by: billcrosby
32 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

How to grep a line not starting with # from a file (there are two lines starting with # and normal)?

e.g. File name: File.txt cat File.txt Result: #INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ1 INBOUND_QUEUE=FAQ2 I want to get the value for one which is not commented out. Thanks, (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Tanu
3 Replies
DISTRIB.PATS(5) 					    InterNetNews Documentation						   DISTRIB.PATS(5)

NAME
distrib.pats - Default values for the Distribution: header DESCRIPTION
The file pathetc/distrib.pats is used by nnrpd to determine the default value of the Distribution: header. Blank lines and lines beginning with a number sign ("#") are ignored. All other lines consist of three fields separated by a colon: <weight>:<pattern>:<value> The first field is the weight to assign to this match. If a newsgroup matches multiple lines, the line with the highest weight is used. This should be an arbitrary integer greater than zero. The order of lines in the file is only important if groups have equal weight (in which case, the first matching line will be used). The second field is either the name of a newsgroup or a uwildmat(3)-style pattern to specify a set of newsgroups. The third field is the value that should be used for the Distribution: header of a posted article, if this line was picked as the best match and no Distribution: header was supplied by the user. It can be an empty string, specifying that no Distribution: header should be added. If it is not empty, it is better to only use US-ASCII characters for that field; otherwise, make sure it is encoded in UTF-8. When a post is received by nnrpd that does not already contain a Distribution: header, each newsgroup to which an article is posted will be checked against this file in turn, and the matching line with the highest weight will be used as the value of the Distribution: header. If no lines match, or if the matching line has an empty string for its third field, no header will be added. In case a distribution is added by nnrpd, make sure it is not rejected by the newsfeeds "ME" entry. A list of recommended distributions can be specified and described in distributions(5). HISTORY
Written by Rich $alz <rsalz@uunet.uu.net> for InterNetNews. Converted to POD by Russ Allbery <rra@stanford.edu>. $Id: distrib.pats.pod 8803 2009-11-15 09:29:41Z iulius $ SEE ALSO
distributions(5), inn.conf(5), newsfeeds(5), nnrpd(8), uwildmat(3). INN 2.5.2 2009-11-15 DISTRIB.PATS(5)