Sponsored Content
Operating Systems HP-UX upgrade path for Digital Alphastation 200 running openVMS 6.1? Post 302547333 by Cheong on Monday 15th of August 2011 08:15:03 AM
Old 08-15-2011
upgrade path for Digital Alphastation 200 running openVMS 6.1?

I am not sure here is the right place to post this question.
as openvms is under HP's belt now, i guess here might be the right place to try my luck.

we have very old machines here which are still running quite well. (APLHASTATION 200 WITH OPENVMS 6.1)

the only problem is difficulty of getting scsi-2 4.3G hard drive nowadays for spare part.

i am thinking to adapt the system to make use of popular hard disk in current market via necessary software or hardware upgrade.

anyone has such experience?
if you are telling me to change the server completely, which model is the most cost effective. Of course, my current application need to be migrated as well.

the cost is always relevant, right?Smilie

any hints would be highly appreciated.

8 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

running a command without having to provide the path

ok, i am aware of adding the directory where the files are located into the .profile file but the problem is, its not working for me. can someone please spell out how to properly edit these configuration files so i can run a command anywhere on the system without having to be in the... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Terrible
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding path of a running script

Hi, I just want to know any code by which i can get the path of the script which i am running. This is required to store the output in the same directory from where the script is running. pwd fails if I give absolute path of script from some other directory. Thanks in advance Puneet (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: puneet
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

path of the running script

Hi there, After reading a couple posts on the subject, I came up with the compilation of all advice (that are supposed to work on any situation) and wrote the following script. But tell me something... Is it that crazy that there's no other way to get the same solution!!! #!/bin/bash... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: chebarbudo
27 Replies

4. Programming

get the path of current running program

How does the program know the full path of itself when the program is running in certain diretory? BTW, I have no "argv" information of main() functino. (The program is written in C++ on linux platform) (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: princelinux
1 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

running script without a path

can someone tell me how could I run a script in an environment that does not include a path? like the environment provided by cron? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ikeQ
1 Replies

6. Linux

Cmd is not running , eventhough its in right path

I can not run iwmodelc from command line. It says file not found. Please look at the command line output below-ksh: /app/Autonomy/Interwoven/TeamSite/bin: cannot execute $ pwd /app/Autonomy/Interwoven/TeamSite/bin $ ls email_to.ipl iwfilestate iwrecentusers iwabort ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: paramshamnani
2 Replies

7. HP-UX

Any OpenVMS 8.4 Users available?

Any takers on a seeminly simple question? (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrmurdock
8 Replies

8. Post Here to Contact Site Administrators and Moderators

OpenVMS forum

Hello admins and moderators, I was just wondering why you never opened an openVMS subforum under Operating Systems section. After all, openVMS is still active. thanks. (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: milhan
0 Replies
VLOCK(1)						      General Commands Manual							  VLOCK(1)

NAME
vlock - Virtual Console lock program SYNOPSIS
vlock vlock [ -a,--all ] [ -c,--current ] [ -h,--help ] [ -v,--version ] DESCRIPTION
vlock is a program to lock one or more sessions on the Linux console. This is especially useful for Linux machines which have multiple users with access to the console. One user may lock his or her session(s) while still allowing other users to use the system on other vir- tual consoles. If desired, the entire console may be locked and virtual console switching disabled. By default, only the current VC (virtual console) is locked. With the -a,-all option all VCs are locked. The locked VCs cannot be unlocked without the invoker's password or the root password. The root password will always be able to unlock any or all sessions. And, for the paranoid, vlock makes it a trying experience for those attempting to guess the password, so unauthorized access to session(s) is highly unlikely. Please note that it is entirely possible to completely lock yourself out of the console with the -a,--all option if you cannot remember your password! Unless you are able to kill vlock by logging in remotely via a serial terminal or network, a hard reset is the only method of ``unlocking'' the display. vlock works for console sessions primarily. However, there is support for trying to lock non-console sessions as well, but that support has not been well tested. OPTIONS
-a,--all Lock all console sessions and disable VC switching. -c,--current Lock the current session (this is the default). -h,--help Print a brief help message. -v,--version Print the version number of vlock. AUTHOR
Michael K. Johnson <johnsonm@redhat.com> Linux User's Manual 16 May 1996 VLOCK(1)