Sponsored Content
The Lounge What is on Your Mind? In defense of the command line Post 302547321 by Tal500 on Monday 15th of August 2011 07:21:40 AM
Old 08-15-2011
I do believe that command line will never die.
Take a look in TRANSMISSION, a bittorrent client.
It has daemon, library, command line use and graphical interface(both for QT and GTK).
Well, both GUI camp and CLI camp would love it. I think than every human "need" shell be in the 4th(of TRANSSMISION) or at least as library(so other developers can extend it to UI).
I'm a developer, and using common CLI, because I think it's easier for me to perform my own made scripts("compile"), and so on...
97% of my time on my Debian machine, a GNOME/Xfce terminal is opening, and if not, or I want do something in background, I can always type F9, and then Compiz Fusion widget layer is displayed. A command line waits for me(the cairo-dock CLI) whenever I need it.
I think a combination of GUI and CLI is the best approach.

Even when today GUI is getting smarter(multi-touch and full body), it's always recommended to save an icon in the panel for command line.

We Also Found This Discussion For You

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line at a specific line number with some other line

my requirement is, consider a file output cat output blah sdjfhjkd jsdfhjksdh sdfs 23423 sdfsdf sdf"sdfsdf"sdfsdf"""""dsf hellow there this doesnt look good et cetc etc etcetera i want to replace a line of line number 4 ("this doesnt look good") with some other line ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
3 Replies
XDG-SU(1)																 XDG-SU(1)

NAME
xdg-su - run a GUI program as root after prompting for the root password SYNOPSIS
xdg-su [-u user] -c command xdg-su {--help --manual --version} DESCRIPTION
xdg-su provides a graphical dialog that prompts the user for a password to run command as user or as root if no user was specified. xdg-su is for use inside a desktop session only. xdg-su discards any stdout and stderr output from command. OPTIONS
-u user run command as user. The default is to run as root. --help Show command synopsis. --manual Show this manualpage. --version Show the xdg-utils version information. EXIT CODES
An exit code of 0 indicates success while a non-zero exit code indicates failure. The following failure codes can be returned: 1 Error in command line syntax. 2 One of the files passed on the command line did not exist. 3 A required tool could not be found. 4 The action failed. SEE ALSO
su(1) EXAMPLES
xdg-su -u root -c "/opt/shinythings/bin/install-GUI --install fast" Runs the /opt/shinythings/bin/install-GUI command with root permissions. AUTHOR
Kevin Krammer, Jeremy White. <kevin.krammer@gmx.at> <jwhite@codeweavers.com> This is release 0.5 of the xdg-su Manual 07/31/2006 XDG-SU(1)