Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Display all the words whose length is equal to the longest word in the text Post 302547126 by yazu on Sunday 14th of August 2011 06:30:23 AM
Old 08-14-2011
I will be happy to see. Bonus fortuna.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

in sed ,to get longest word

i want the longest word from the file using sed. can any one help me in this case? (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: lakshmananindia
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find the length of the longest line

Dear All, To find the length of the longest line from a file i have used wc -L which is giving the proper output... But the problem is AIX os does not support wc -L command. so is there any other way 2 to find out the length of the longest line using awk or sed ? Regards, Pankaj (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: panknil
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display most top 10 occurring words along with number of ocurences of word inthe text

I need Display the most top 10 occurring words along with the number of occurences of those words in the given text. Sample text as below: "The Travails of Single South Indian men of conservative upbringing" or "Why we don't get any..." Yet another action packed weekend in Mumbai, full of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: smacherla
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Display text between two words/characters

Using sed or awk, I need to display text between two words/characters. Below are two example inputs and the desired output. In a nutshell, I need the date-range value between the quotes (but only the first occurance of date-range as there can be more than one). Example One Input: xml-report... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cmichaelson
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Longest length of string in array

I would be grateful if someone could help me. I am trying to write a .sh script in UNIX. I have the following code; User=john User=james User=ian User=martin for x in ${User} do print ${#x} done This produces the following output; 4 5 3 6 (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: mmab
12 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Longest word in a file

I am trying to write a command on just one line, i.e seperated by ';' and '|' etc, that finds the number of characters in the longest word of a file, preferably using the 'tr' and 'wc' commands. i no that wc shows the number of lines words and characters in a file but im not sure how to use it... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: scotty85
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Flat file-make field length equal to header length

Hello Everyone, I am stuck with one issue while working on abstract flat file which i have to use as input and load data to table. Input Data- ------ ------------------------ ---- ----------------- WFI001 Xxxxxx Control Work Item A Number of Records ------ ------------------------... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sonali.s.more
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Finding the length of the longest column

Hi, I am trying to figure out how to get the length of the longest column in the entire file (because the length varies from one row to the other) I was doing this at first to check how many fields I have for the first row: awk '{print NF; exit}' file Now, I can do this: awk '{ if... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: MIA651
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

wc -L giving incorrect length of longest line

Running below line gives 3957 as length of longest line in file 20121119_SRMNotes_init.dat awk ' { if ( length > 3950 ) { x = length } }END{ print x }' 20121119_SRMNotes_init.dat While wc -L 20121119_SRMNotes_init.dat gives output as 4329. Why is there a difference between these two commands.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Satish Mantha
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Filter all the lines with minimum specified length of words of a text file

Hi Can someone tell me which script will work best (in terms of speed and simplicity to write and run) for a large text file to filter all the lines with a minimum specified length of words ? A sample script with be definitely of great help !!! Thanks in advance. :) (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: my_Perl
4 Replies
WC(1)									FSF								     WC(1)

NAME
wc - print the number of bytes, words, and lines in files SYNOPSIS
wc [OPTION]... [FILE]... DESCRIPTION
Print byte, word, and newline counts for each FILE, and a total line if more than one FILE is specified. With no FILE, or when FILE is -, read standard input. -c, --bytes print the byte counts -m, --chars print the character counts -l, --lines print the newline counts -L, --max-line-length print the length of the longest line -w, --words print the word counts --help display this help and exit --version output version information and exit AUTHOR
Written by Paul Rubin and David MacKenzie. REPORTING BUGS
Report bugs to <bug-coreutils@gnu.org>. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2002 Free Software Foundation, Inc. This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
The full documentation for wc is maintained as a Texinfo manual. If the info and wc programs are properly installed at your site, the com- mand info wc should give you access to the complete manual. wc (coreutils) 4.5.3 February 2003 WC(1)