Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Deleting a type of file in a directory immediately it occurs Post 302547002 by Scrutinizer on Saturday 13th of August 2011 02:10:20 AM
Old 08-13-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jitendra.pat04
Dear I try by this code......

#!/bin/sh
while inotifywait -m -e create /$HOME/ext/cbe/output/pps/normal/temp/
do
rm *.csv
done

but after 1 deletion the script is getting stopped.....I want the watchdog to be maintained, and it keeps on running in background until the process is killed manually....
Try putting an extra
Code:
while : ; do
done

loop around it. I would explicitly specify the directory, instead of deleting in the working directory..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Programming

problem deleting date-time stamped file in a directory

I have a number of files of the format filename.xfr_mmddyy_%H%M%S which i get in a specified directory daily. Now i want to search in the specified directory & delete the files which are more than 2 days old .So I use a command find $DIR/backup/* -ctime +2 -exec rm -f {} \; But after executing... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dharmesht
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting files by type (symbolic links)

How do I delete just the symbolic links in a directory? I have files that I wish to keep that have similar names, length and date/time. Can I use file size? Thanks kyle (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kryan_toolboy
4 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Deleting the file except one type of file

I need the unix command which is used to delete the file except one the of file format. example: In folder a.txt b.txt c.prn d.st g.lg Output : except .st files remaining all are deleted from the folder. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingganesh04
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting the file only to all the directory and sub directory

I need the unix command or shell script to delete all the file in current directory and sub directory. (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: kingganesh04
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to extract 7 characters immediately after text '19' from a large file.

Hi All!! I have a large file containing millions of record. My purpose is to extract 7 characters immediately after text '19' from this file (including text '19') and save the result in new file. So, my OUTPUT would be as under : 191234561 194567894 192789005 198839408 and so on..... ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: parshant_bvcoe
7 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Deleting older files of a particular type

hi This should be easy but i'm obviously missing something obvious. :) I'm looking to delete files from yesterday and older of extension .txt and there a range of subfolders with these files in them. The command runs but doesn't delete anything. SUSE 10. find /testfolder -maxdepth 2 -type f... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmap
6 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting the oldest file in a directory

Hey! I have found similar posts both here and on other sites regarding this, but I cannot seem to get my script to work. I want to delete the oldest file in a test directory if there are more than two files. My script is currently: #!/bin/bash MEPATH=/usr/local/bin/test FILECOUNT=`ls... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Immolation
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting all files recursively from directories while ignoring one file type

Hi, Seems like I need help again with a problem: I want to delete all files from my lets say "Music" Directory inkluding all of the subfolders except for .mp3 and .MP3 files. I tried it with globalignoring mp3 files, finding and deleting all other files, which resulted in all files... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: pasc
3 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting a directory and zipping another directory

Hi Folks, I have a directory in unix that is /usr/local/pos contain the folowing directoreis ..that is dir1 dir2 dir3 now I want to delete only dir2 please advise how to remove the directory dir 2 ..that is rm command and how to use it , and second if I want to zip the dir3 please... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: punpun66
1 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Find directory immediately after the pattern dir name

Hi, From below directories path I need the directory which comes immediately after the "DataPath" /var/errors/LogDefaultPath/DataPath/Data01/Data02 (Directory name "Data01" is the result from this path) /var/errors/LogDefaultPath/DataPath/Log01/Log0202 (Directory name "Log01" is the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Yuvaan12
4 Replies
SHELL-QUOTE(1)						User Contributed Perl Documentation					    SHELL-QUOTE(1)

NAME
shell-quote - quote arguments for safe use, unmodified in a shell command SYNOPSIS
shell-quote [switch]... arg... DESCRIPTION
shell-quote lets you pass arbitrary strings through the shell so that they won't be changed by the shell. This lets you process commands or files with embedded white space or shell globbing characters safely. Here are a few examples. EXAMPLES
ssh preserving args When running a remote command with ssh, ssh doesn't preserve the separate arguments it receives. It just joins them with spaces and passes them to "$SHELL -c". This doesn't work as intended: ssh host touch 'hi there' # fails It creates 2 files, hi and there. Instead, do this: cmd=`shell-quote touch 'hi there'` ssh host "$cmd" This gives you just 1 file, hi there. process find output It's not ordinarily possible to process an arbitrary list of files output by find with a shell script. Anything you put in $IFS to split up the output could legitimately be in a file's name. Here's how you can do it using shell-quote: eval set -- `find -type f -print0 | xargs -0 shell-quote --` debug shell scripts shell-quote is better than echo for debugging shell scripts. debug() { [ -z "$debug" ] || shell-quote "debug:" "$@" } With echo you can't tell the difference between "debug 'foo bar'" and "debug foo bar", but with shell-quote you can. save a command for later shell-quote can be used to build up a shell command to run later. Say you want the user to be able to give you switches for a command you're going to run. If you don't want the switches to be re-evaluated by the shell (which is usually a good idea, else there are things the user can't pass through), you can do something like this: user_switches= while [ $# != 0 ] do case x$1 in x--pass-through) [ $# -gt 1 ] || die "need an argument for $1" user_switches="$user_switches "`shell-quote -- "$2"` shift;; # process other switches esac shift done # later eval "shell-quote some-command $user_switches my args" OPTIONS
--debug Turn debugging on. --help Show the usage message and die. --version Show the version number and exit. AVAILABILITY
The code is licensed under the GNU GPL. Check http://www.argon.org/~roderick/ or CPAN for updated versions. AUTHOR
Roderick Schertler <roderick@argon.org> perl v5.16.3 2010-06-11 SHELL-QUOTE(1)