Sponsored Content
Homework and Emergencies Homework & Coursework Questions VI Search and Replace problem help... Post 302546678 by yazu on Thursday 11th of August 2011 11:06:06 PM
Old 08-12-2011
Just a hint. "%" is an address for vi command to operate on. It is the whole file, but this address can be a regex (or line numbers).
You are doing very well and I don't want just to give you a solution.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

vi search & replace ... having '/' in string - problem.

I want to carry out search & replace for the paths mentioned in the file with the help of vi. 'abc/' to be replaced by 'abc/data' When I use command in vi as below - %s/abc//abc/data/g it gives me an error. How we should deal with '/' part in string for vi search & replace? ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: videsh77
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl: Search for string on line then search and replace text

Hi All, I have a file that I need to be able to find a pattern match on a line, search that line for a text pattern, and replace that text. An example of 4 lines in my file is: 1. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData ReplaceMe moreData 2. MatchText_randomNumberOfText moreData moreData... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Crypto
4 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with sed (search/replace)

Hi, In a file FILE, the following lines appear : WORD 8 8 8 ANOTHERWORD blabla ... Directly in the prompt, if I type $sed '/WORD/s/8/10/g' FILE it replace the 8's by 10's in file : $cat FILE WORD 10 10 10 ANOTHERWORD blabla ... (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: tipi
9 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - replace number of string length from search and replace for a serialized array

Hello, I really would appreciate some help with a bash script for some string manipulation on an SQL dump: I'd like to be able to rename "sites/WHATEVER/files" to "sites/SOMETHINGELSE/files" within the sql dump. This is quite easy with sed: sed -e... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: otrotipo
1 Replies

5. UNIX and Linux Applications

GNU sed - Search and Replace problem

Hi, The following code loops through every file with an error extension and then loops through all XML files in that directory and replaces the target character @ with / . The problem I have is that if there is more than one occurance of @ in each individual file it doesn't replace it. Any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fishn
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl search and replace - search in first line and replance in 2nd line

Dear All, i want to search particular string and want to replance next line value. following is the test file. search string is tmp,??? ,10:1 "???" may contain any 3 character it should remain the same and next line replace with ,10:50 tmp,123 --- if match tmp,??? then... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: arvindng
3 Replies

7. Programming

Binary Search Tree Search problem

I am writing code for a binary search tree search and when I compile it i am getting strange errors such as, " /tmp/ccJ4X8Xu.o: In function `btree::btree()': project1.cpp:(.text+0x0): multiple definition of `btree::btree()' " What does that mean exactly? tree.h #ifndef TREE_H #define... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: meredith1990
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search and replace problem

Hi, I am looking for bash or awk script to solve the following. Input File 1: >Min_0-t10270-RA|>Min_0-t10270-RA protein AED:0.41 eAED:0.46 QI:0|0|0|0.25|1|1|4|0|190 MIGLGFKYLDTSYFGGFCEPSEDMNKVCTMRADCCEGIEMRFHDLKLVLEDWRNFTKLST EEKRLWATPAAEDFF >Min_0-t10271-RA|>Min_0-t10271-RA protein... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Fahmida
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Nested search in a file and replace the inner search

Hi Team, I am new to unix, please help me in this. I have a file named properties. The content of the file is : ##Mobile props east.url=https://qa.east.corp.com/prop/end west.url=https://qa.west.corp.com/prop/end south.url=https://qa.south.corp.com/prop/end... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tolearn
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Large search replace using sed results in memory problem.

I have one big file of size 9GB (big_file.txt). This big file has sentences and paragraphs like any usual English document. I have another file consisting of replacement strings for sed to use. The file name is replace.sed and each entry in one line looks like this: s/\<shout\>/shout/g s/\<b is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shoaibjameel123
2 Replies
mktemp(3C)						   Standard C Library Functions 						mktemp(3C)

NAME
mktemp - make a unique file name from a template SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> char *mktemp(char *template); DESCRIPTION
The mktemp() function replaces the contents of the string pointed to by template with a unique file name, and returns template. The string in template should look like a file name with six trailing 'X's; mktemp() will replace the 'X's with a character string that can be used to create a unique file name. Only 26 unique file names per thread can be created for each unique template. RETURN VALUES
The mktemp() function returns the pointer template. If a unique name cannot be created, template points to a null string. ERRORS
No errors are defined. EXAMPLES
Example 1 Generate a filename. The following example replaces the contents of the "template" string with a 10-character filename beginning with the characters "file" and returns a pointer to the "template" string that contains the new filename. #include <stdlib.h> ... char *template = "/tmp/fileXXXXXX"; char *ptr; ptr = mktemp(template); USAGE
Between the time a pathname is created and the file opened, it is possible for some other process to create a file with the same name. The mkstemp(3C) function avoids this problem and is preferred over this function. ATTRIBUTES
See attributes(5) for descriptions of the following attributes: +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ | ATTRIBUTE TYPE | ATTRIBUTE VALUE | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |Interface Stability |Standard | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ |MT-Level |Safe | +-----------------------------+-----------------------------+ SEE ALSO
mkstemp(3C), tmpfile(3C), tmpnam(3C), attributes(5), standards(5) SunOS 5.11 15 Sep 2004 mktemp(3C)