Sponsored Content
Special Forums IP Networking Named - DNS Server - within Firewall Post 302546451 by dude2cool on Thursday 11th of August 2011 08:53:42 AM
Old 08-11-2011
can you post some more details on the setup? what DNS server are you using, maybe post the relevant DNS config files.

Also what firewall? is it just iptables?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. IP Networking

DNS daemon named

I found the /usr/sbin/in.named file but it is encoded. I tried the /usr/sbin/ndc rstart command to start the DNS server but it didn't work. Are there any other commands to start the DNS server beside the one I tried? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Deuce
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

can't find named.conf to configuration DNS

Help me! I have problem. I can't find named.conf file in /etc (Solaris 5.6,SPRAC) Please! (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nghia77
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

linux firewall / dns issue

I have set up a linux (red hat 9) box as my main internet router. I am also running a DNS server on it. What are the rules i have to implement to allow DNS queries through the firewall from outside so that the outside world can see my domains? (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frankkahle
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setup a DNS server for my redhat server

Using Redhat Linux Enterprise AS 4 can someone teach me how to setup a dns server for my webserver? i've registered a domainname at mydomain.com but when i type in the domain i register i cannot enter to my webserver. someone told me that it is related with the DNS setting on my server. i've... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaixiang88
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Solaris DNS Client For Microsoft DNS Server

hey guys, how to add soalris box as a microsoft DNS Client ? and how to register in the microsoft DNS ?? i managed to query from the DNS server after adding /etc/resolve.conf and editing /etc/nsswitch.conf but i need to register the soalris server (dns Client) into Microsoft DNS automatically.... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mduweik
3 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Named (DNS Name Server) question

As suggested by the forum I'm posting in, I'm very new at this, so bear with me please. I'm using a Virtual Dedicated server (Linux) from GoDaddy and using Simple Control Panel. A few days ago, the sites running off of it stopped working, and I did manage to troubleshoot it to some extent where... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: KevenM
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

DNS server choice: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND

I'd like to get some opnions on choosing DNS server: Windows DNS vs Linux BIND comparrsion: 1) managment, easy of use 2) Security 3) features 4) peformance 5) ?? I personally prefer Windows DNS server for management, it supports GUI and command line. But I am not sure about security... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: honglus
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Copying a file from one server to another (behind firewall.)

Hi, I want to copy a file from one server A to another server B. Usually I use scp username@source-server:/path . (from the destination folder) However, in this particular case, I have server C behind a firewall. So, I connect to Server B and ssh over to server C. --this is the source... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: neil.k
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

named caching server odd lookup issue!

Hello All, I have resubmitted this issue I am having as the my last post was moved to programming as the issue appeared to be specific to java but on further investigation this is not the case. The issues also arises when running the host command and appears to be either a problem with the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Paragon1970
1 Replies

10. Solaris

DNS client added to DNS server but not working

Hi, We have built a new server (RHEL VM)and added that IP/hostname into dns zone configs file on DNS server (Solaris 10). Reloaded the configuration using and added nameserver into resolv.conf on client. But when I am trying nslookup, its not getting resolved. The nameserver is not able to... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: snchaudhari2
8 Replies
PYROMAN(8)						      System Manager's Manual							PYROMAN(8)

NAME
pyroman - a firewall configuration utility SYNOPSIS
pyroman [ -hvnspP ] [ -r RULESDIR ] [ -t SECONDS ] [ --help ] [ --version ] [ --safe ] [ --no-act ] [ --print ] [ --print-verbose ] [ --rules=RULESDIR ] [ --timeout=SECONDS ] [ safe ] DESCRIPTION
pyroman is a firewall configuration utility. It will compile a set of configuration files to iptables statements to setup IP packet filtering for you. While it is not necessary for operating and using Pyroman, you should have understood how IP, TCP, UDP, ICMP and the other commonly used Internet protocols work and interact. You should also have understood the basics of iptables in order to make use of the full functionality. pyroman does not try to hide all the iptables complexity from you, but tries to provide you with a convenient way of managing a complex networks firewall. For this it offers a compact syntax to add new firewall rules, while still exposing access to add arbitrary iptables rules. OPTIONS
-r RULESDIR,--rules=RULES Load the rules from directory RULESDIR instead of the default directory (usually /etc/pyroman ) -t SECONDS,--timeout=SECONDS Wait SECONDS seconds after applying the changes for the user to type OK to confirm he can still access the firewall. This implies --safe but allows you to use a different timeout. -h, --help Print a summary of the command line options and exit. -V, --version Print the version number of pyroman and exit. -s, --safe, safe When the firewall was committed, wait 30 seconds for the user to type OK to confirm, that he can still access the firewall (i.e. the network connection wasn't blocked by the firewall). Otherwise, the firewall changes will be undone, and the firewall will be restored to the previous state. Use the --timeout=SECONDS option to change the timeout. -n, --no-act Don't actually run iptables. This can be used to check if pyroman accepts the configuration files. -p, --print Instead of running iptables, output the generated rules. -P, --print-verbose Instead of running iptables, output the generated rules. Each statement will have one comment line explaining how this rules was generated. This will usually include the filename and line number, and is useful for debugging. CONFIGURATION
Configuration of pyroman consists of a number of files in the directory /etc/pyroman. These files are in python syntax, although you do not need to be a python programmer to use these rules. There is only a small number of statements you need to know: add_host Define a new host or network add_interface Define a new interface (group) add_service Add a new service alias (note that you can always use e.g. www/tcp to reference the www tcp service as defined in /etc/services) add_nat Define a new NAT (Network Address Translation) rule allow Allow a service, client, server combination reject Reject access for this service, client, server combination drop Drop packets for this service, client, server combination add_rule Add a rule for this service, client, server and target combination iptables Add an arbitrary iptables statement to be executed at beginning iptables_end Add an arbitrary iptables statement to be executed at the end Detailed parameters for these functions can be looked up by caling cd /usr/share/pyroman pydoc ./commands.py BUGS
None known as of pyroman-0.4 release AUTHOR
pyroman was written by Erich Schubert <erich@debian.org> SEE ALSO
iptables(8), iptables-restore(8) iptables-load(8) PYROMAN(8)