Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: vimrc help with line endings
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users vimrc help with line endings Post 302546337 by pludi on Thursday 11th of August 2011 03:22:07 AM
Old 08-11-2011
VIm will not automatically convert existing files. What you set in ~/.vimrc are settings for the UI and new files, but the encodings and file formats of existing files will not be changed unless the user explicitly says so.
This User Gave Thanks to pludi For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

VIMRC question ????

Hi There, :) I Need to put the following command in the vimrc for the execution of ECLIPSE so I have written smthing like as follows, export PATH=$PATH:/JVM location after this i go to my eclipse folder and when I execute STILL it is not getting opened..... Any Help that makes my... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: gk_linux
6 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with Sed/awk/grep and line endings

Hello I have created the following script, which is designed to manipulate a text document: #!/bin/sh # Get 3 lines, (last of which is "Quantity"); adjust order; put all three on one line with tabs. FILENAME=~/Desktop/email.txt LIST=$(grep -B2 "Quantity" ${FILENAME} |awk 'BEGIN { FS = "\n"; RS... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: benwiggy
6 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Vi line endings conversions

I was reading these 2 articles. Why does the wikia one think :e ++ff=dos? Or am I just misunderstanding it? :e ++ff=unix :e ++ff=dos File format - Vim Tips Wiki Managing/Munging Line-Endings with Vi/Vim | Jeet Sukumaran (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: cokedude
1 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

line endings help of non-ASCII files

When you are dealing with ASCII files it easy to check on line endings type. You can just use the file command. You are not always lucky enough to be dealing with ASCII files. So in the cases that you don't have ASCII files how can you check what type of line endings you have? Please list all... (5 Replies)
5 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Find a file that could have different endings

Hello all. Hope you can help. I am looking for a complete command to search for a file named HOSPCHK. The file could be listed with numbers after it like it could be listed with letters after it or a combination of both or just by it self. The other catch is the file that I want to look for... (27 Replies)
Discussion started by: azapp51
27 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Difference between .vimrc and .exrc?

What is the difference between .vimrc and .exrc? I google it but didn't find the brief explanation? Regards ADI (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: adisky123
2 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Vimrc creating tabs instead of spaces

I'm having trouble getting my vimrc to work the way I want it. For some reason after I hit enter it is creating tabs instead of spaces like I would expect. Here is an example of what I am talking about. $ = newline, ^I = tab. On the line of struct EDGETAG* q; I hit enter and it created a tab... (2 Replies)
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Double quote in vimrc not take as comment

Hi, 1. I'm using tcsh and I use a .gvimrc file which was working fine with my previous ksh shell. But while sourcing, I'm getting messages like 'Unmatched " '. I'm not trying anything fancy but just using " for commenting in the very first line and I see the error is thrown right there. 2.... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: rishikpillai90
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sendmail ignoring line endings

Mails from Sendmail are ignoring line endings, when I try to send email with attachment. I have tried to specify the font in the html but line endings are still ignored. I also tried unix2dos, still no luck. #!/usr/bin/ksh ###Send Email MAILTO=`cat mail2.list | tr -s '\n' ','` SUBJECT="bla bla... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: aydj
3 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Tip to remove line endings and spaces on a pre-formatted text file?

Hi, At the moment, using Notepad++ to do a search and replace, manually section by section which is real painful. Yeah, so copying each section of the line of text and putting into a file and then search and replace, need at least 3-operations in Notepad++. Here's hoping I will be able to... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
1 Replies
MKFONTDIR(1)						      General Commands Manual						      MKFONTDIR(1)

NAME
mkfontdir - create an index of X font files in a directory SYNOPSIS
mkfontdir [-n] [-x suffix] [-r] [-p prefix] [-e encoding-directory-name] ... [--] [directory-name ... ] DESCRIPTION
For each directory argument, mkfontdir reads all of the font files in the directory searching for properties named "FONT", or (failing that) the name of the file stripped of its suffix. These are converted to lower case and used as font names, and, along with the name of the font file, are written out to the file "fonts.dir" in the directory. The X server and font server use "fonts.dir" to find font files. The kinds of font files read by mkfontdir depend on configuration parameters, but typically include PCF (suffix ".pcf"), SNF (suffix ".snf") and BDF (suffix ".bdf"). If a font exists in multiple formats, mkfontdir will first choose PCF, then SNF and finally BDF. The first line of fonts.dir gives the number of fonts in the file. The remaining lines list the fonts themselves, one per line, in two fields. First is the name of the font file, followed by a space and the name of the font. SCALABLE FONTS
Because scalable font files do not usually include the X font name, the file "fonts.scale" can be used to name the scalable fonts in the directory. The fonts listed in it are copied to fonts.dir by mkfontdir. "fonts.scale" has the same format as the "fonts.dir" file, and can be created with the mkfontscale(1) program. FONT NAME ALIASES
The file "fonts.alias", which can be put in any directory of the font-path, is used to map new names to existing fonts, and should be edited by hand. The format is two white-space separated columns, the first containing aliases and the second containing font-name pat- terns. Lines beginning with "!" are comment lines and are ignored. If neither the alias nor the value specifies the size fields of the font name, this is a scalable alias. A font name of any size that matches this alias will be mapped to the same size of the font that the alias resolves to. When a font alias is used, the name it references is searched for in the normal manner, looking through each font directory in turn. This means that the aliases need not mention fonts in the same directory as the alias file. To embed white space in either name, simply enclose it in double-quote marks; to embed double-quote marks (or any other character), precede them with back-slash: "magic-alias with spaces" ""font name" with quotes" regular-alias fixed If the string "FILE_NAMES_ALIASES" stands alone on a line, each file-name in the directory (stripped of its suffix) will be used as an alias for that font. ENCODING FILES
The option -e can be used to specify a directory with encoding files. Every such directory is scanned for encoding files, the list of which is then written to an "encodings.dir" file in every font directory. The "encodings.dir" file is used by the server to find encoding information. The "encodings.dir" file has the same format as "fonts.dir". It maps encoding names (strings of the form CHARSET_REGISTRY-CHARSET_ENCODING ) to encoding file names. OPTIONS
The following options are supported: -e Specify a directory containing encoding files. The -e option may be specified multiple times, and all the specified directories will be read. The order of the entries is significant, as encodings found in earlier directories override those in later ones; encoding files in the same directory are discriminated by preferring compressed versions. -n do not scan for fonts, do not write font directory files. This option is useful when generating encoding directories only. -p Specify a prefix that is prepended to the encoding file path names when they are written to the "encodings.dir" file. The prefix is prepended as-is. If a `/' is required between the prefix and the path names, it must be supplied explicitly as part of the prefix. -r Keep non-absolute encoding directories in their relative form when writing the "encodings.dir" file. The default is to convert rel- ative encoding directories to absolute directories by prepending the current directory. The positioning of this options is signifi- cant, as this option only applies to subsequent -e options. -x suffix Ignore fonts files of type suffix. -- End options. FILES
fonts.dir List of fonts in the directory and the files they are stored in. Created by mkfontdir. Read by the X server and font server each time the font path is set (see xset(1)). fonts.scale List of scalable fonts in the directory. Contents are copied to fonts.dir by mkfontdir. Can be created with mkfontscale(1). fonts.alias List of font name aliases. Read by the X server and font server each time the font path is set (see xset(1)). encodings.dir List of known encodings and the files they are stored in. Created by mkfontdir. Read by the X server and font server each time a font with an unknown charset is opened. SEE ALSO
X(7), Xserver(1), mkfontscale(1), xfs(1), xset(1) X Version 11 mkfontdir 1.0.7 MKFONTDIR(1)