Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting using awk for setting variable but change the output of this variable within awk Post 302546223 by dude2cool on Wednesday 10th of August 2011 05:15:06 PM
Old 08-10-2011
here is a possible solution. You may have to tweak it to the input.

Declare a new variable "dept" like shown below. See how I am using split on $9 which should have your dept name
Once you have done that, replace in your script anywhere you find u_count[user]++; with u_count[dept]++;

Quote:
# Assign field names
sizes=$5
user= $3
split($9,a,"/")
dept=a[2]
Here is the sample output. Like I said you may have to tweak. I am assuming my dept. names to be Documents and Downloads :).

Search variable = zip

./Documents/conkyscripts.zip : 4777
./Downloads/ebook.zip : 1561317
./Downloads/conkyscripts.zip : 4777
./Downloads/TEST.zip : 26494027

4 Files Found

Total Size = 26.76 Mb

Size Count Who
26.76 Mb 3 Downloads
4.67 Kb 1 Documents
26.76 Mb 4 Total
This User Gave Thanks to dude2cool For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

setting environment variable in awk

Dear all, I have a data sample... Dose: Summed ROI: Bladder ************************** Bin Dose Volume 001 0.700 100.000 002 0.715 99.998 168 3.142 0.368 169 3.157 0.338 170 3.171 0.292 Dose: Summed ROI:... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tintin72
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

setting a variable, using SSH and awk?

hi there I am trying to get a value from a remote machine into a local variable. To get this value i want to use awk but im having trouble getting it to run, am i escaping in the right places here and using the right quotes (i must have tried a million combinations :() # VAR=`ssh server1... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change awk and shell variable value?

In awk script, #!/bin/sh awk 'BEGIN{i=0;}{i=i+5;}END{print i}' in.txt vr=0; vr=$i; echo "$vr" How can i assign that value of i in $vr(variable) of shell script? (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: cola
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: Eliminating white space while setting variable

Hi, I have a large flat file from host without delimiter. I'm transforming this file to a csv file using statements like # Row 03: Customer / field position 3059 +20 WOFABNAM=substr( $0, 3059, 20 ); and deleting the trailing whitespaces before and after with that sub( /^ +/, "",... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Celald
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk: change string variable

Hi. How to change string variable in awk? for example, I parse with awk script text file named some_name_with_extension.txt I want to print only some_name in my script .... varCompName = FILENAME print varCompName How to put not all symbols from FILENAME to variable? thank you This... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cintlt
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

setting a shell script variable in awk

The following is part of a larger shell script grep -v "Col1" my_test.log | grep -v "-" | awk '$5 == "Y" {print $1}' instead of printing, can I set set $1 to a variable that the rest of the shell script can read? if $5 == Y, I want to call another shell script and pass $1 as a... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: guessingo
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

help on awk---- need to assign the output of awk to a variable

hi i want to find the size of a folder and assign it to a variable and then compare if it is greater than 1 gb. i am doin this script, but it is throwing error.... #!/bin/ksh cd . | du -s | size = awk '{print $1}' if size >= 112000 then echo size high fi ERROR : (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Nithz
4 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

awk - change variable on fly

Hello All, I have csv file, where one of fields is date (yyyy/mm/dd 00:00:00). Using awk I am trying to find all records with date newer/older than specific date. My idea was to compare unix timestamps of both dates: start=`date +%s -d "$DateStart"` awk -v start="$start" -v current=`date +%s... (34 Replies)
Discussion started by: haczyk
34 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk question : system output to awk variable.

Hi Experts, I am trying to get system output to capture inside awk , but not working: Please advise if this is possible : I am trying something like this but not working, the output is coming wrong: echo "" | awk '{d=system ("date") ; print "Current date is:" , d }' Thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rveri
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk - Removing extra character when setting variable

I have a data file d0 that looks like this: $cat d0 server1 running -n-cv- 8G 3.1% 1435d 15h server2 running -n---- 8G 39% 660d 22h server3 running -n--v- 8G 2.5% 1173d 6h server4 running -n---- 8G 1.1% 1048d 20h... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: jake0391S
2 Replies
SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)					      GNU Portable Shell Tool						SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)

NAME
shtool-path - GNU shtool command dealing with shell path variables SYNOPSIS
shtool path [-s|--suppress] [-r|--reverse] [-d|--dirname] [-b|--basename] [-m|--magic] [-p|--path path] str [str ...] DESCRIPTION
This command deals with shell $PATH variables. It can find a program through one or more filenames given by one or more str arguments. It prints the absolute filesystem path to the program displayed on "stdout" plus an exit code of 0 if it was really found. OPTIONS
The following command line options are available. -s, --suppress Supress output. Useful to only test whether a program exists with the help of the return code. -r, --reverse Transform a forward path to a subdirectory into a reverse path. -d, --dirname Output the directory name of str. -b, --basename Output the base name of str. -m, --magic Enable advanced magic search for ""perl"" and ""cpp"". -p, --path path Search in path. Default is to search in $PATH. EXAMPLE
# shell script awk=`shtool path -p "${PATH}:." gawk nawk awk` perl=`shtool path -m perl` cpp=`shtool path -m cpp` revpath=`shtool path -r path/to/subdir` HISTORY
The GNU shtool path command was originally written by Ralf S. Engelschall <rse@engelschall.com> in 1998 for Apache. It was later taken over into GNU shtool. SEE ALSO
shtool(1), which(1). 18-Jul-2008 shtool 2.0.8 SHTOOL-PATH.TMP(1)