Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Script to generate csv file
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Script to generate csv file Post 302546121 by Corona688 on Wednesday 10th of August 2011 12:00:30 PM
Old 08-10-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by pludi
I don't think so. Tried this snipped with both bash and ksh93, both reported the same PID. Unless I made a logical error here...
Code:
#!/bin/bash

echo $$
echo $( eval 'echo $$' )

You still get the same PID even when you force /bin/echo. $$ is the parent shell's PID.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate csv file

I have a file which has some thousand records in the following format File: input.txt -> <option value="14333">VISWANADH VELAMURI</option> <option value="17020">VISWANADHA RAMA KRISHNA</option> I want to generate a csv file from the above file as follows File: output.txt -> ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: rahulrathod
4 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

generate CSV file using AWK script

Hi guys I have a text report that consists of text in some parts and data in some parts. e.g Report for changes in cashflows No changes were found Report for changes in Bills deal_num deal_date trader maturity log_creator DF_234 20-5-2008 tman 20-5-2009 tman... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: magikminox
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

need help in Parsing a CSV file and generate a new output file

Hi Scripting Gurus, I am trying to parse a csv file and generate a new output file. The input file will be a variable length in turns of rows and columns. output file will have 8 columns. we have three columns from the header for each set. just to give little bit more clarification each row... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: vkr
15 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need to generate .csv file

I have a csv file with the following data Please find the attachment - zip ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vaas
6 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

to read a CSV file and generate SQL output

Friends, This is what I need: I will pass a CSV file as an input, and I want my shell to be reading that CSV file, and based on the parameters it should generate SQLs and write those SQL in a different file in the same location. I'm new to Shell scripting. I'm currently working on a... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Ram.Math
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Read a CSV file and generate SQL output

Friends, This is what I need: I will pass a CSV file as an input, and I want my shell to be reading that CSV file, and based on the parameters it should generate SQLs and write those SQL in a different file in the same location. I'm new to Shell scripting. I'm currently working on a... (25 Replies)
Discussion started by: Ram.Math
25 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

BASH script to parse XML and generate CSV

Hi All, Hope all you are doing good! Need your help. I have an XML file which needs to be converted CSV file. I am not an expert of awk/sed so your help is highly appreciated!! XML file looks like this: <l:event dateTime="2013-03-13 07:15:54.713" layerName="OSB" processName="ABC"... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: bhaskar_m
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to generate csv file

Dears, I am new in shell world and I need your help in this, I have to create a report based on the output file generated by another program. I want to write a shell script for this. The output file generated every 15 minutes but i can’t open it until the end of day so the script will get the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdul2020
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script to generate .csv file

Dears,I need your help in this, I have to create a report based on the output file generated by another program. I want to write a shell script for this. The output file generated every 15 minutes but i can’t open it until the end of day so the script will get the file as an input the file will be... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: abdul2020
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Generate .csv/ xls file report

There can be thousand of .ksh in a specific directory where sql files are called from ksh. Requirement is to loop through all the files content and generate a report like below: Jobname Type type sqlname gemd1970 sql daily tran01 gemw1971 sql weekly ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: vedanta
6 Replies
SHLOCK(1)						    BSD General Commands Manual 						 SHLOCK(1)

NAME
shlock -- create or verify a lock file for shell scripts SYNOPSIS
shlock -f lockfile [-p PID] [-u] [-v] DESCRIPTION
The shlock command can create or verify a lock file on behalf of a shell or other script program. When it attempts to create a lock file, if one already exists, shlock verifies that it is or is not valid. If valid, shlock will exit with a non-zero exit code. If invalid, shlock will remove the lock file, and create a new one. shlock uses the rename(2) system call to make the final target lock file, which is an atomic operation (i.e. "dot locking", so named for this mechanism's original use for locking system mailboxes). It puts the process ID ("PID") from the command line into the requested lock file. shlock verifies that an extant lock file is still valid by using kill(2) with a zero signal to check for the existence of the process that holds the lock. The -f argument with lockfile is always required. The -p option with PID is given when the program is to create a lock file; when absent, shlock will simply check for the validity of the lock file. The -u option causes shlock to read and write the PID as a binary pid_t, instead of as ASCII, to be compatible with the locks created by UUCP. The -v option causes shlock to be verbose about what it is doing. RETURN VALUES
A zero exit code indicates a valid lock file. EXAMPLES
BOURNE SHELL #!/bin/sh lckfile=/tmp/foo.lock if shlock -f ${lckfile} -p $$ then # do what required the lock rm ${lckfile} else echo Lock ${lckfile} already held by `cat ${lckfile}` fi C SHELL #!/bin/csh -f set lckfile=/tmp/foo.lock shlock -f ${lckfile} -p $$ if ($status == 0) then # do what required the lock rm ${lckfile} else echo Lock ${lckfile} already held by `cat ${lckfile}` endif The examples assume that the filesystem where the lock file is to be created is writeable by the user, and has space available. HISTORY
shlock was written for the first Network News Transfer Protocol (NNTP) software distribution, released in March 1986. The algorithm was sug- gested by Peter Honeyman, from work he did on HoneyDanBer UUCP. AUTHOR
Erik E. Fair <fair@clock.org> BUGS
Does not work on NFS or other network filesystem on different systems because the disparate systems have disjoint PID spaces. Cannot handle the case where a lock file was not deleted, the process that created it has exited, and the system has created a new process with the same PID as in the dead lock file. The lock file will appear to be valid even though the process is unrelated to the one that cre- ated the lock in the first place. Always remove your lock files after you're done. BSD
June 29, 1997 BSD