Sponsored Content
Top Forums Programming Iterating and calloc questions. Post 302545995 by Errigour on Wednesday 10th of August 2011 06:45:07 AM
Old 08-10-2011
Iterating and calloc questions.

Whilst creating the function readjust_descr I have stumble across what may be a problem or
something that might just work. I was hoping someone could look at the code below and tell me
if readjust_descr will clear all null pointers from the structure descr_list.

Code:
struct descr descr_list = NULL;

int initialize_descr(int newfd, struct descr *p)
{
    struct descr *d;
    d = descr_list;
    if ( d != 0 ) 
    {
        while ( d->next != 0)
        {
            d = d->next;
        }
    }    

if(!(d->next = malloc( sizeof(struct descr))))
    {
        nonfatal("malloc failure");
        return 0;
    }
    d = d->next;
    d->newfd = newfd;
    d->state = 1;
    d->addr = 0;
    d->next = 0;d = p;
}

int readjust_descr(struct descr *d)
{
    struct descr *l;
    struct descr *r;
    for(l = descr_list; l; l = l->next)
    {
        r = l;
        if (l->state == 0)
        {
            free(l);
            r->next = l->next;
        }
    }

}

While I am here I might as well ask this also. Thanks a bunch.

Can you show me how to access the second array of a pointer
that calloc returns if I allocated two elements.
calloc() allocates memory for an array of nmemb elements.

The man page says it returns a pointer to the allocated member.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

memset vs calloc

Dear Friends, Can any one tell me the difference between memset and calloc function in C. Regards, Selvi (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: salvi
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem iterating in while loop

I am facing a problem in replacing the file contents by iterating through the list. My present code: Code: #!/bin/bash# TFILE="/tmp/vinay/testb_1.txt" while read linedo aline="$line" echo $aline code=`echo $aline|cut -d ',' -f1` country=`echo $aline|cut -d... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: av_vinay
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

iterating over results from sqlplus

hi all, i am writing a ksh script, i am logging into an oracle db via sqlplus and running a select statement but i dont know how i can store the results from the sql so i can iterate over it and do more operations over it. I dont want to write a stored procedure with a cursor since i need to... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cesarNZ
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Iterating through two arrays in a single loop

Hey everyone. Is it possible to use two arrays in a loop? Basically what I am trying to do is iterate through the elements in an array, and, based on a condition, use the current position in the array to point to that index in the array. Here's the loop structure I'm looking for: ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: msarro
1 Replies

5. Programming

Calloc C++

Hello all, I have a confusion with calloc function : wz. the difference between the following 2 statemnts: char *ptr; char = (char*)calloc(num, sizeof(char)); char = (char*)calloc(num, sizeof(char*)); Am really confused!!!!! ---------- Post updated at 09:32 AM... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mind@work
1 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Iterating over subdirectories and dealing with files within them

Hello, I am working on a coding project for a class and to test the program I have created, I have come up with 100 different test cases. The program takes four text files as input, so each of the test cases is contained in a folder with four files. I have a folder called 'tests', within which... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: dpryor
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Iterating over a list using awk, when variable

Hi, I've recently started using Awk commands as i need it to pull information out of a file and give me the mean value of a series of numbers. Here is the code i run on my Infile and it works just fine. awk '{if ($1 == "Mam189") print $0}' Infile | awk '{if ($1 != $2) print $0}' | awk... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: cavanac2
5 Replies

8. Programming

calloc fails: 'Cannot allocate memory'

Hi , experts. I work on Linux station (RedHat 5.7), regular user, but have root password. %> uname -a Linux ran1log06 2.6.18-238.1.1.el5 #1 SMP Tue Jan 4 13:32:19 EST 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux %> cat /etc/issue Red Hat Enterprise Linux Client release 5.7 (Tikanga) Kernel \r on... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: baruchgu
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Iterating awk over a directory of files?

I need to run the same awk function over an entire directly of files. This is the awk: awk '{$(NF+1)=1}1' Is there a way that I can run this command once over all of the files, along the lines of: awk '{$(NF+1)=1}1' * so that I do not have to run this several times? My main concern is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Question on iterating array elements

Hi, I am trying to do something similar to the for loop example from KSH For Loop Array: Iterate Through Array Values $: cat y.ksh #!/bin/ksh # set array called nameservers set -A nameservers 192.168.1.1 192.168.1.5 202.54.1.5 # print all name servers for i in ${nameservers} do ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: newbie_01
3 Replies
MALLOC(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 MALLOC(3)

NAME
calloc, malloc, free, realloc - Allocate and free dynamic memory SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> void *calloc(size_t nmemb, size_t size); void *malloc(size_t size); void free(void *ptr); void *realloc(void *ptr, size_t size); DESCRIPTION
calloc() allocates memory for an array of nmemb elements of size bytes each and returns a pointer to the allocated memory. The memory is set to zero. malloc() allocates size bytes and returns a pointer to the allocated memory. The memory is not cleared. free() frees the memory space pointed to by ptr, which must have been returned by a previous call to malloc(), calloc() or realloc(). Oth- erwise, or if free(ptr) has already been called before, undefined behaviour occurs. If ptr is NULL, no operation is performed. realloc() changes the size of the memory block pointed to by ptr to size bytes. The contents will be unchanged to the minimum of the old and new sizes; newly allocated memory will be uninitialized. If ptr is NULL, the call is equivalent to malloc(size); if size is equal to zero, the call is equivalent to free(ptr). Unless ptr is NULL, it must have been returned by an earlier call to malloc(), calloc() or realloc(). RETURN VALUE
For calloc() and malloc(), the value returned is a pointer to the allocated memory, which is suitably aligned for any kind of variable, or NULL if the request fails. free() returns no value. realloc() returns a pointer to the newly allocated memory, which is suitably aligned for any kind of variable and may be different from ptr, or NULL if the request fails. If size was equal to 0, either NULL or a pointer suitable to be passed to free() is returned. If real- loc() fails the original block is left untouched - it is not freed or moved. CONFORMING TO
ANSI-C SEE ALSO
brk(2), posix_memalign(3) NOTES
The Unix98 standard requires malloc(), calloc(), and realloc() to set errno to ENOMEM upon failure. Glibc assumes that this is done (and the glibc versions of these routines do this); if you use a private malloc implementation that does not set errno, then certain library routines may fail without having a reason in errno. Crashes in malloc(), free() or realloc() are almost always related to heap corruption, such as overflowing an allocated chunk or freeing the same pointer twice. Recent versions of Linux libc (later than 5.4.23) and GNU libc (2.x) include a malloc implementation which is tunable via environment vari- ables. When MALLOC_CHECK_ is set, a special (less efficient) implementation is used which is designed to be tolerant against simple errors, such as double calls of free() with the same argument, or overruns of a single byte (off-by-one bugs). Not all such errors can be protected against, however, and memory leaks can result. If MALLOC_CHECK_ is set to 0, any detected heap corruption is silently ignored; if set to 1, a diagnostic is printed on stderr; if set to 2, abort() is called immediately. This can be useful because otherwise a crash may happen much later, and the true cause for the problem is then very hard to track down. Linux follows an optimistic memory allocation strategy. This means that when malloc() returns non-NULL there is no guarantee that the mem- ory really is available. In case it turns out that the system is out of memory, one or more processes will be killed by the infamous OOM killer. GNU
1993-04-04 MALLOC(3)