Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting print lines between line number Post 302545965 by pludi on Wednesday 10th of August 2011 05:22:44 AM
Old 08-10-2011
Any of these should work:
Code:
sed -ne "${start},${end}p" yourfile
awk "NR >= $start && NR <= $end" yourfile
perl -ne "print if $start .. $end;" yourfile

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Appending line number to each line and getting total number of lines

Hello, I need help in appending the line number of each line to the file and also to get the total number of lines. Can somebody please help me. I have a file say: abc def ccc ddd ffff The output should be: Instance1=abc Instance2=def Instance3=ccc Instance4=ddd Instance5=ffff ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: chiru_h
2 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print selection of line based on line number

Hi Unix gurus Basically i am searching for the pattern and getting the line numbers of the grepped pattern. I am trying to print the series of lines from 7 lines before the grepped line number to the grepped line number. I am trying to use the following code. but it is not working. cat... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohanm
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

print lines AFTER lines cointaining a regexp (or print every first and fourth line)

Hi all, This should be very easy but I can't figure it out... I have a file that looks like this: @SRR057408.1 FW8Y5CK02R652T length=34 AGCAGTGGTATCAACGCAGAGTAAGCAGTGGTAT +SRR057408.1 FW8Y5CK02R652T length=34 FIIHFF6666?=:88@@@BBD:::?@ABBAAA>8 @SRR057408.2 FW8Y5CK02TBMHV length=52... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kmkocot
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed script - print the line number along with the line

Hi, I want to print the line number with the pattern of the line on a same line using multi-patterns in sed. But i don't know how to do it. For example, I have a file abc def ghi I want to print 1 abc 2 def 3 ghi I know how to write it one line code, but i don't know how to put... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: ntpntp
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

print every 20 lines the lowest number

Hello all, How can I find the lowest number every 10 lines? For example i have a list name1 -0.1 name2 2 name3 3 name4 -3 name5 1 name6 2 name7 34 name8 34 (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: TheTransporter
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed print range of lines between line number and pattern

Hi, I have a file as below This is the line one This is the line two <\XMLTAG> This is the line three This is the line four <\XMLTAG> Output of the SED command need to be as below. This is the line one This is the line two <\XMLTAG> Please do the need to needful to... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: RMN
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep range of lines to print a line number on match

Hi Guru's, I am trying to grep a range of line numbers (based on match) and then look for another match which starts with a special character '$' and print the line number. I have the below code but it is actually printing the line number counting starting from the first line of the range i am... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: Kevin Tivoli
15 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Print lines based on line number and specified condition

Hi, I have a file like below. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9I would like to print or copied to a file based of line count in perl If I gave a condition 1 to 3 then it should iterate over above file and print 1 to 3 and then again 1 to 3 etc. output should be 1,2,3 4,5,6 7,8,9 (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Anjan1
10 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk to find number in a field then print the line and the number

Hi I want to use awk to match where field 3 contains a number within string - then print the line and just the number as a new field. The source file is pipe delimited and looks something like 1|net|ABC Letr1|1530||| 1|net|EXP_1040 ABC|1121||| 1|net|EXP_TG1224|1122||| 1|net|R_North|1123|||... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Mudshark
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Print number of lines for files in directory, also print number of unique lines

I have a directory of files, I can show the number of lines in each file and order them from lowest to highest with: wc -l *|sort 15263 Image.txt 16401 reference.txt 40459 richtexteditor.txt How can I also print the number of unique lines in each file? 15263 1401 Image.txt 16401... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: spacegoose
15 Replies
VM(1)								      mgetty								     VM(1)

NAME
vm - VoiceModem is the program for handling the voice modem functionality from shell scripts ACTIONS
beep options [<frequency [<length in 0.001sec>]]> diagnostics options device name (e.g. ttyS2 dial options phone number help play options [<file names]+> record options file name shell options [<shell script [shell options]]> wait options [<time in seconds]> devicetest OPTIONS
-c n use compression type n -d n set i/o device -t, -m, -i, -e, -s, -H equals to -d <2,3,4,5,6,7> -l s set device string (e.g. -l ttyS2:ttyC0) -v verbose output -w use off / on hook signal from local handset to start and stop recording -x n set debug level -L n set maximum recording length in sec -P print first DTMF tone on stdout and exit -R read and print DTMF string on stdout and exit -S s set default shell for shell scripts (e.g. -S /bin/sh) -T n set silence timeout in 0.1sec -V n set silence threshold to <n> (0-100%%) SEE ALSO
vgetty(1) POD ERRORS
Hey! The above document had some coding errors, which are explained below: Around line 30: You forgot a '=back' before '=head1' Around line 32: '=item' outside of any '=over' Around line 71: You forgot a '=back' before '=head1' perl v5.10.1 2010-04-04 VM(1)