Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: grep for special charecters
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers grep for special charecters Post 302545904 by shifahim on Wednesday 10th of August 2011 02:54:13 AM
Old 08-10-2011
Error

uname -a
SunOS mycomp 5.10 Generic_141414-07 sun4v sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise-T5220

I am not sure how to know the awk version.

Below is the sample text.
Code:
16.81.18.151 - user [01/Aug/2011:00:00:55 -0400] "POST  /servlet/lorms/lorms_modify_user HTTP/1.1" 200 133694
16.81.18.145 -  - [01/Aug/2011:00:01:25 -0400] "GET  /eg/Hello.jsp?name=eg&name1=monitoring&user=eg&password

bla bla bla

162.11.18.145 - - [02/Aug/2011:00:00:29 -0400] "GET  /eg/Hello.jsp?name=eg&name1=monitoring&user=eg&password=48&host=169.81.&port=3333&server=myserver  HTTP/1.1" 200 170

bla bla bla ....

The output should contain the first found of the first string and the last searched of the second string.

i.e for grep between "am" & "going".
Code:
i 
am
going
am
i 
want
to
going 
home

Desired Output:
Code:
am
going
am
i 
want
to
going

I am not sure and would want to know if this is the nature of any greping tool.

Thanks...

Last edited by shifahim; 08-10-2011 at 04:01 AM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with Special Characters

I need to sort a file, the sort is not a alphabetical sort, it's based on a predefined order which is read from a file called fSortOrder. The format of the fSortOrder file is : STARTPATH" .... .... The file that needs to be sorted is called tmpUnsorted and contains data in the format : ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vashj
6 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

grep with special characters

Hi there I need to grep for a detail from a file. The pattern to search for involves escape sequences in it. This causes for the problem. grep "P\_SOME\_STRING\_SEARCH" filename Note, I have line like below in the file and expect it to grep. select * from my_system_param ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruparan18
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep not working - special characters??

I have a file that I am processing with a while loop from, in come cases the grep/sed command (strings record | grep “errorDetail” | sed 's&*errorDetail\(.*)\(/errorDetail\).*&\1&') works and produces the data I am after and in some it does not. I have inspected the data within the failing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gugs
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

grep in special character

All, I am trying to grep "-----" from a test when i use this i am getting the below error. What is the reason for this ?????... How can i over come this ##) echo "----------------- test_sys_job -----------------" | grep "-----------------" grep: illegal option -- - grep: illegal... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using GREP for special characters

Hi folks I am issuing the following command: grep "" * Looking for the characters \/:*?"<>|#+%& within all files in a directory, but the command fails being unhappy with pipe: ksh: 0403-057 Syntax error: `|' is not expected. How do I force the command to take the pipe | ? I guess... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveaasmith
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep for a special range

hi, i search a command to get follow solution: file: 21082009mueller01testtest 22082009mueller02testtest 23082009mueller03testtest 24082009mueller02testtest 25082009mueller03testtest Solution: I search all lines with "mueller02" at the range 8 to 17 It is possible with greb... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Timmää
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with special Characters

Need Help For GREP I have a file say g1.txt and content of file is below REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v NoDrives /t REG_DWORD /d 4 /f , REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v NoClose /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f ,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalpasoni
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep lines having special characters

Hi, I have a file which has numerous lines and some of the lines having special characters in it. i want to grep the lines which are having special characters. say, one line looks like - %*()$#@"", | acbd antoher line looks like ***##^%! | efcg so these kind of lines are present... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep -F for special character

a='CASH$$A' /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -F "$a" *.txt It is not able to grep CASH$$A string as it contains special character $$. I also tried with /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -F '$a' *.txt but still not working. I have to assign CASH$$A to a variable and serach that variable..i dont want to search the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing special ^M charecters

Hi, This code works for me for file in $(find /path/to/dir -type f); do tr -d '\r' <$file >temp.$$ && mv temp.$$ $file done However, i want this code to skip all .class files. Can you help me with the modified code. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
ppmtosixel(1)						      General Commands Manual						     ppmtosixel(1)

NAME
ppmtosixel - convert a portable pixmap into DEC sixel format SYNOPSIS
ppmtosixel [-raw] [-margin] [ppmfile] DESCRIPTION
Reads a portable pixmap as input. Produces sixel commands (SIX) as output. The output is formatted for color printing, e.g. for a DEC LJ250 color inkjet printer. If RGB values from the PPM file do not have maxval=100, the RGB values are rescaled. A printer control header and a color assignment table begin the SIX file. Image data is written in a compressed format by default. A printer control footer ends the image file. OPTIONS
-raw If specified, each pixel will be explicitly described in the image file. If -raw is not specified, output will default to com- pressed format in which identical adjacent pixels are replaced by "repeat pixel" commands. A raw file is often an order of magni- tude larger than a compressed file and prints much slower. -margin If -margin is not specified, the image will be start at the left margin (of the window, paper, or whatever). If -margin is speci- fied, a 1.5 inch left margin will offset the image. PRINTING
Generally, sixel files must reach the printer unfiltered. Use the lpr -x option or cat filename > /dev/tty0?. BUGS
Upon rescaling, truncation of the least significant bits of RGB values may result in poor color conversion. If the original PPM maxval was greater than 100, rescaling also reduces the image depth. While the actual RGB values from the ppm file are more or less retained, the color palette of the LJ250 may not match the colors on your screen. This seems to be a printer limitation. SEE ALSO
ppm(5) AUTHOR
Copyright (C) 1991 by Rick Vinci. 26 April 1991 ppmtosixel(1)