Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: grep for special charecters
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers grep for special charecters Post 302545898 by shifahim on Wednesday 10th of August 2011 02:40:31 AM
Old 08-10-2011
Question grep for special charecters

Hi,

I need to grep for text between " 01/Aug" and " 02/Aug" in a text file.

The awk command usually fails with the error saying "line too long"

Is there other simpler ways to achieve this ?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with Special Characters

I need to sort a file, the sort is not a alphabetical sort, it's based on a predefined order which is read from a file called fSortOrder. The format of the fSortOrder file is : STARTPATH" .... .... The file that needs to be sorted is called tmpUnsorted and contains data in the format : ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Vashj
6 Replies

2. UNIX Desktop Questions & Answers

grep with special characters

Hi there I need to grep for a detail from a file. The pattern to search for involves escape sequences in it. This causes for the problem. grep "P\_SOME\_STRING\_SEARCH" filename Note, I have line like below in the file and expect it to grep. select * from my_system_param ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: guruparan18
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep not working - special characters??

I have a file that I am processing with a while loop from, in come cases the grep/sed command (strings record | grep “errorDetail” | sed 's&*errorDetail\(.*)\(/errorDetail\).*&\1&') works and produces the data I am after and in some it does not. I have inspected the data within the failing... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: gugs
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

grep in special character

All, I am trying to grep "-----" from a test when i use this i am getting the below error. What is the reason for this ?????... How can i over come this ##) echo "----------------- test_sys_job -----------------" | grep "-----------------" grep: illegal option -- - grep: illegal... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
6 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Using GREP for special characters

Hi folks I am issuing the following command: grep "" * Looking for the characters \/:*?"<>|#+%& within all files in a directory, but the command fails being unhappy with pipe: ksh: 0403-057 Syntax error: `|' is not expected. How do I force the command to take the pipe | ? I guess... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: daveaasmith
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep for a special range

hi, i search a command to get follow solution: file: 21082009mueller01testtest 22082009mueller02testtest 23082009mueller03testtest 24082009mueller02testtest 25082009mueller03testtest Solution: I search all lines with "mueller02" at the range 8 to 17 It is possible with greb... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Timmää
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep with special Characters

Need Help For GREP I have a file say g1.txt and content of file is below REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v NoDrives /t REG_DWORD /d 4 /f , REG ADD "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer" /v NoClose /t REG_DWORD /d 1 /f ,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jalpasoni
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep lines having special characters

Hi, I have a file which has numerous lines and some of the lines having special characters in it. i want to grep the lines which are having special characters. say, one line looks like - %*()$#@"", | acbd antoher line looks like ***##^%! | efcg so these kind of lines are present... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: rbalaj16
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep -F for special character

a='CASH$$A' /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -F "$a" *.txt It is not able to grep CASH$$A string as it contains special character $$. I also tried with /usr/xpg4/bin/grep -F '$a' *.txt but still not working. I have to assign CASH$$A to a variable and serach that variable..i dont want to search the... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: millan
8 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing special ^M charecters

Hi, This code works for me for file in $(find /path/to/dir -type f); do tr -d '\r' <$file >temp.$$ && mv temp.$$ $file done However, i want this code to skip all .class files. Can you help me with the modified code. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mohtashims
2 Replies
PAPS(1) 						      General Commands Manual							   PAPS(1)

NAME
paps - UTF-8 to PostScript converter using Pango SYNOPSIS
paps [options] files... DESCRIPTION
paps reads a UTF-8 encoded file and generates a PostScript language rendering of the file. The rendering is done by creating outline curves through the pango ft2 backend. OPTIONS
These programs follow the usual GNU command line syntax, with long options starting with two dashes (`-'). A summary of options is included below. --landscape Landscape output. Default is portrait. --columns=cl Number of columns output. Default is 1. --font=desc Set the font description. Default is Monospace 12. --rtl Do rtl layout. --paper ps Choose paper size. Known paper sizes are legal, letter, a4. Default is A4. --bottom-margin=bm Set bottom margin in postscript points (1/72 inch). Default is 36. --top-margin=tm Set top margin. Default is 36. --left-margin=lm Set left margin. Default is 36. --right-margin=rm Set right margin. Default is 36. --help Show summary of options. --header Draw page header for each page. --markup Interpret the text as pango markup. --encoding=ENCODING Assume the documentation encoding is ENCODING. --lpi Set the lines per inch. This determines the line spacing. --cpi Set the characters per inch. This is an alternative method of specifying the font size. --stretch-chars Indicates that characters should be stretched in the y-direction to fill up their vertical space. This is similar to the texttops behaviour. AUTHOR
paps was written by Dov Grobgeld <dov.grobgeld@gmail.com>. This manual page was written by Lior Kaplan <kaplan@debian.org>, for the Debian project (but may be used by others). April 17, 2006 PAPS(1)