Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting awk not escape my bash variable Post 302545780 by winggundamth on Tuesday 9th of August 2011 01:28:12 PM
Old 08-09-2011
awk not escape my bash variable

I tried to parse data from switch configuration files

Code:
vlan 1727 name SQ5506-15 by port
 tagged ethe 8/1 to 8/2 
 untagged ethe 1/13 
!
vlan 2105 name SQ5620-7007(BR2) by port
 tagged ethe 8/1 to 8/2 
 untagged ethe 1/17 
!
interface ethernet 1/13
 port-name SQ5506-15.nic0
 rate-limit input fixed 10000000
 sflow forwarding
!
interface ethernet 1/17
 port-name SQ5620-7007.nic0
 rate-limit input fixed 100000000
 sflow forwarding
!

At first I parse interface number by device name and switch path with this command

Code:
INTERFACE=`awk '/^vlan(.*)'"$DEVICE "'(.*)/,/^!/' "$SWITCH_PATH" | awk '/untagged/{print $3}'`

Then I tried to get rate limit from interface that I parse from above with this command

Code:
RATELIMIT=`awk '/^interface ethernet '"$INTERFACE"'\r(.*)/,/^!/' "$SWITCH_PATH" | awk '/rate-limit/{print $4}'`

But it is showing an error

Code:
awk: /^interface ethernet 1/13\r(.*)/,/^!/
awk:                          ^ backslash not last character on line

If $INTERFACE is single number like "74" it will work but if $INTERFACE has forward slash like "1/13" it will showing an error as above. I have tried with put direct interface number and found that I have to put backslash before forward slash in interface number like this

Code:
RATELIMIT=`awk '/^interface ethernet '"1\/13"'\r(.*)/,/^!/' "$SWITCH_PATH" | awk '/rate-limit/{print $4}'`

I also tried with awk -v too but no luck. It is showing no error but still can't get value what I want

Code:
RATELIMIT=`awk -v INTERFACE="$INTERFACE" '/^interface ethernet INTERFACE\r(.*)/,/^!/' "$SWITCH_PATH" | awk '/rate-limit/{print $4}'`

I tried with every possible changing quote and double quote but still no luck. Can someone help me this?

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

saving awk value in a bash array variable

hi all i am trying to save an awk value into an array in bash: total=`awk '{sum+=$3} END {print sum}' "$count".txt"` ((count++)) the above statement is in a while loop.. $count is to keep track of file numbers (1.txt,2.txt,3.txt,etc.) i get the following error: ./lines1:... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: npatwardhan
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

assign awk output to bash variable

greetings all, I am have a heck of a time trying to accomplish a very simple thing. I have an array of "shortname<spaces>id" created from a dscl output. I want to assign shortname=word1 and id=word2. I have tried shortname=$(${textArray} | awk '{print $1}') - and get 'awk : cannot open... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: macnetdaemon
3 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Creating variable using awk in bash

I would like to create a variable within my bash script using awk. I'm reading in a line from an external file, then outputting to a new file in a specific format. But, it doesnt quite work as I have expected and could use some help. (A pertinent excerpt of ) the bash code is: count=1 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: snoitacilppa
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash curl escape & in url

I'm running a curl command in bash, but the & in the middle causes the second half of the line to run in the background, here's what I'm trying to do: lat="37.451" lon="-122.18" url="http://ws.geonames.org/findNearestAddress?lat=$lat&lng=$lon" curl -s "$url" I tried escaping the & with \&,... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: unclecameron
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

populate a bash variable from an awk operation

Hi, I'm trying to populate bash script variable, data_size with the size of the largest file in my current directory data_size=$(ls -lS | grep -v "total" | head -1) | awk '{ print $5 }' I've tried adding an echo before the call to awk data_size=$(ls -l | grep -v "total" | head -1) |... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: mark_s_g
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to store a escape character in a Variable.?

How to store escape character in the variable. Var=abc,def,ghi,jkl echo ${Var} | sed -e "s/,/|\\\\./g;s/^/\\\\./g" \.abc|\.def|\.ghi|\.hjk Var1=`echo ${Var} | sed -e "s/,/|\\\./g;s/^/\\\./g"` Actual: ------- echo $Var1 .abc|.def|.ghi|.jkl Expected: --------- echo $Var1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: deepakwins
4 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem with awk instructions and bash variable

Hi everyone, I'm trying to write a small script to automatize row data treatment. However, I got some trouble with the awk command. I want to use awk to extract a define paragraph from a text file. The first and final lines are defined externally in two variables called debut and fin. I... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: TeaTimeSF
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Escape bash-special character in a bash string

Hi, I am new in bash scripting. In my work, I provide support to several users and when I connect to their computers I use the same admin and password, so I am trying to create a script that will only ask me for the IP address and then connect to the computer without having me to type the user... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arcoa05
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Escape characters in a variable

Debian 9 64x - LXDE How can i disable escape sequences in a variable? #!/bin/bash #mainscript . "./links.bash" echo "$red_start This text should be red $color_end"#!/bin/bash #links.bash #colors red_start="\eOutput that i get: \e Output expected: This text should be... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: int3g3r
5 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash variable expansion in awk script

Hello, I need to split a file into two of different locations by re-direction in awk. cat infle aaa 1 3 bbb 2 4 aaa 3 3 bbb 4 4 aaa 5 3 bbb 6 4 cat /storage/tmp/group_a.gtf aaa 1 3 aaa 3 3 aaa 5 3 cat /storage/tmp/group_b.gtf bbb 2 4 bbb ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: yifangt
2 Replies
IRSEND(1)							   User Commands							 IRSEND(1)

NAME
irsend - basic LIRC program to send infra-red commands SYNOPSIS
irsend [options] DIRECTIVE REMOTE CODE [CODE...] DESCRIPTION
Asks the lircd daemon to send one or more CIR (Consumer Infra-Red) commands. This is intended for remote control of electronic devices such as TV boxes, HiFi sets, etc. DIRECTIVE can be: SEND_ONCE - send CODE [CODE ...] once SEND_START - start repeating CODE SEND_STOP - stop repeating CODE LIST - list configured remote items SET_TRANSMITTERS - set transmitters NUM [NUM ...] SIMULATE - simulate IR event REMOTE is the name of a remote, as described in the lircd configuration file. CODE is the name of a remote control key of REMOTE, as it appears in the lircd configuration file. NUM is the transmitter number of the hardware device. For the LIST DIRECTIVE, REMOTE and/or CODE can be empty: LIST "" "" - list all configured remote names LIST REMOTE "" - list all codes of REMOTE LIST REMOTE CODE - list only CODE of REMOTE The SIMULATE command only works if it has been explicitly enabled in lircd. -h --help display usage summary -v --version display version -d --device use given lircd socket [/var/run/lirc/lircd] -a --address=host[:port] connect to lircd at this address -# --count=n send command n times EXAMPLES
irsend LIST DenonTuner "" irsend SEND_ONCE DenonTuner PROG-SCAN irsend SEND_ONCE OnkyoAmpli VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP VOL-UP irsend SEND_START OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN ; sleep 3 irsend SEND_STOP OnkyoAmpli VOL-DOWN irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 irsend SET_TRANSMITTERS 1 3 4 irsend SIMULATE "0000000000000476 00 OK TECHNISAT_ST3004S" FILES
/etc/lirc/lircd.conf Default lircd configuration file. It should contain all the remotes, their infra-red codes and the corresponding timing and wave- form details. DIAGNOSTICS
If lircd is not running (or /var/run/lirc/lircd lacks write permissions) irsend aborts with the following diagnostics: "irsend: could not connect to socket" "irsend: Connection refused" (or "Permission denied"). SEE ALSO
The documentation for lirc is maintained as html pages. They are located under html/ in the documentation directory. lircd(8), mode2(1), smode2(1), xmode2(1), irrecord(1), irw(1), http://www.lirc.org. irsend 0.9.0-pre1 October 2010 IRSEND(1)