Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: Deleting words and sorting
Top Forums UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers Deleting words and sorting Post 302545770 by yazu on Tuesday 9th of August 2011 12:42:32 PM
Old 08-09-2011
This is option for GNU sort - version sort. I've given another variant.
This User Gave Thanks to yazu For This Post:

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting symbols and characters between two words

Hi Please tell me how could i delete symbols, whitespaces, characters, words everything between two words in a line. Let my file is aaa BB ccc ddd eee FF kkk xxx 123456 BB 44^& iop FF 999 xxx uuu rrr BB hhh nnn FF 000 I want to delete everything comes in between BB and FF( deletion... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: rish_max
3 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

need help sorting/deleting non-unique things

I don't really know much about UNIX commands, so if someone could help me understand how to do this, I'd really appreciate it. I have a text file with data that looks like this (filename: numbers.txt): 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 1 1_2 2_1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 1 2 1_2 2_1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 2 1 2 1_2 2_1... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: zac100
12 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

deleting blank line and row containing certain words in single sed command

Hi Is it possible to do the following in a single command /usr/xpg4/bin/sed -e '/rows selected/d' /aemu/CALLAUTO/callauto.txt > /aemu/CALLAUTO/callautonew.txt /usr/xpg4/bin/sed -e '/^$/d' /aemu/CALLAUTO/callautonew.txt > /aemu/CALLAUTO/callauto_new.txt exit (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: aemunathan
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting words between tags

Hi !!! I need to write a script(ksh) that deletes any character outside <start> tag and </start> from a file. For eg: $cat file.txt <start> ad bd </start> as</start> <start> d e f mb<start>mu g h i (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: PRKS
7 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need some help deleting words from a line which are not my "Keyword"

Hi, i'm currently new to scripting and need some help with my problem, so i'll jump right to it. I have a file containing text, the file is pretty big so for the sake of this i'll just say this is the text: John id number is abc34938 Grahams id number is pending id number abc64334 is Bob's ... (14 Replies)
Discussion started by: linuxkid
14 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

deleting words in list with more than 2 identical adjacent characters

Morning Guys & Gals, I am trying to figure out a way to remove lines from a file that have more than 2 identical characters in sequence.. So if for instance the list would look like ; the output would be ; I can't seem to get my head around perl (among many other... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: TAPE
7 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Sorting words based on length

i need to write a bash script that recive a list of varuables kaka pele ronaldo beckham zidane messi rivaldo gerrard platini i need the program to print the longest word of the list. word in the output appears on a separate line and word order in the output is in the order Llachsicografi costs.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yairpg
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sorting a list of words one per line by their ending

Hello, My OS is Windows and therefore DOS. Hence I have no access to Unix tools. I am trying to sort a file in Urdu by the character by which it ends. Each word is on a separate line. As input, an example in English would help: fruit banana apple pear house I need the sort to be on the... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: gimley
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Deleting words between every appearance of two words

Hi there, newbie there. I've been browsing the forums hoping to find a solution that answers a problem similar to what I need, but haven't had much luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! I need to delete a bunch of text between every appearance of two words in a really large file... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lendl
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Deleting a list of words from a text file

Hello, I have a list of words separated by spaces I am trying to delete from a text file, and I could not figure out what is the best way to do this. what I tried (does not work) : delete="password key number verify" arr=($delete) for i in arr { sed "s/\<${arr}\>]*//g" in.txt } >... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hawk4520
5 Replies
WRAP-AND-SORT(1)                                              General Commands Manual                                             WRAP-AND-SORT(1)

NAME
wrap-and-sort - wrap long lines and sort items in Debian packaging files SYNOPSIS
wrap-and-sort [options] DESCRIPTION
wrap-and-sort wraps the package lists in Debian control files. By default the lists will only split into multiple lines if the entries are longer than 80 characters. wrap-and-sort sorts the package lists in Debian control files and all .install files. Beside that wrap-and-sort removes trailing spaces in these files. This script should be run in the root of a Debian package tree. It searches for control, control.in, copyright, copyright.in, install, and *.install in the debian directory. OPTIONS
-h, --help Show this help message and exit. -a, --wrap-always Wrap all package lists in the Debian control file even if the entries are shorter than 80 characters and could fit in one line line. -s, --short-indent Only indent wrapped lines by one space (default is in-line with the field name). -b, --sort-binary-packages Sort binary package paragraphs by name. -k, --keep-first When sorting binary package paragraphs, leave the first one at the top. Unqualified debhelper(7) configuration files are applied to the first package. -n, --no-cleanup Do not remove trailing whitespaces. -d path, --debian-directory=path Location of the debian directory (default: ./debian). -f file, --file=file Wrap and sort only the specified file. You can specify this parameter multiple times. All supported files will be processed if no files are specified. -v, --verbose Print all files that are touched. AUTHORS
wrap-and-sort and this manpage have been written by Benjamin Drung <bdrung@debian.org>. Both are released under the ISC license. DEBIAN Debian Utilities WRAP-AND-SORT(1)