Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Searching inside a .gz file without gunzip Post 302545725 by yazu on Tuesday 9th of August 2011 10:01:06 AM
Old 08-09-2011
Code:
for f in *.gz; do
  if  zcat "$f" | grep -q pattern ; then
    var=`zcat "$f"`
    # do something with $var or just use the result of zcat in a pipe or do something with "$f"
done

If you have zgrep then use it - if zgrep -q pattern "$f" ; then .... If you don't have zcat use gunzip -c "$f".

Last edited by yazu; 08-09-2011 at 11:02 AM.. Reason: minor corrections

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Gunzip : unexpected end of file

Hi, While uncompress , gunzip filename.cpio.gz getting the fg. error gunzip: filename.cpio.gz: unexpected end of file. Whats the problem? Size of this .gz file is 660mb . Thanks, (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Dolly
1 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Pattern searching inside Variable - not looking at files

Hi, I've searched this site and not found this already, so if I missed on my search, sorry. I need to pass in a variable to a script, where the first three characters of that variable represent a calendar quarter, and the last 2 characters are the year. I.E. Q0105 for Q1, Q0205 for Q2, and... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Rediranch
3 Replies

3. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

searching files inside directory

hey, i need to use grep to search a bunch of header files inside a directory to return which file i can find the function i'm searching for in. how do i use wild cards to search through the files? i can only figure out how to search inside the directory, not inside the files that are in the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kylethesir
4 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for a string in .PDF files inside .RAR & .ZIP archives.

Hi, I have got a large number of .PDF files that are archived in .RAR & ZIP files in various directories and I would like to search for strings inside the PDF files. I would think you would need something that can recursively read directories, extract the .RAR/.ZIP file in memory, read the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: lewk
3 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in searching a particular string in a file name (not inside the file contents)

Dear Unix Gurus, I am new to shell scripting and in the process of learing. I am trying to find whether a file name has today's date in MMDDYYYY format. I am using the following code and it doesn't seem like working. #!/usr/bin/ksh today=$(date '+%m%d%Y') echo today: $today file=`find... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: shankar1dada
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

searching a file with a specified text without using conventional file searching commands

without using conventional file searching commands like find etc, is it possible to locate a file if i just know that the file that i'm searching for contains a particular text like "Hello world" or something? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: arindamlive
5 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching for unknown date inside the file and replace to new date

Hello, Iam a newbies to Shell scripting. Iam trying to replace the date inside the file to new date. is there anyway that we can just use the pattern to search as "..." I have many files want to replace with the same date, and each file contains different date. Thanks for your help. ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Daro
2 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Not able to gunzip a .gz file, in ksh

i am working on unix - ksh trying to unzip a .gz file and when i executed the below, in my command prompt in ksh gunzip abc.gz it was throwing the message below: gunzip: abc.gz: unexpected end of file - pls advise what is the reason for it..i am pretty sure the .gz file had no issues. (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: billpeter3010
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Gunzip a file in UNIX

hi All, i have a file called rsync-3.0.9.tar.gz, i have to unzip and then uncompress it. but at first while i am trying to unzip this file, it is giving me following error: -rw-r--r-- 1 bravodba bravodba 7278458 Aug 19 08:26 rsync-3.0.9.tar.gz bash-3.2$ unzip rsync-3.0.9.tar.gz Archive: ... (12 Replies)
Discussion started by: lovelysethii
12 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Searching a file inside a .tar.gz file by date

Hi, I would like to ask if there is a way to search for a file inside a .tar.gz file without extracting it? If there is, is there a way to search for that file by date? Thanks! (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: erin00
4 Replies
ZGREP(1)						      General Commands Manual							  ZGREP(1)

NAME
zgrep - search possibly compressed files for a regular expression SYNOPSIS
zgrep [ grep_options ] [ -e ] pattern filename... DESCRIPTION
Zgrep invokes grep on compressed or gzipped files. These grep options will cause zgrep to terminate with an error code: (-[drRzZ]|--di*|--exc*|--inc*|--rec*|--nu*). All other options specified are passed directly to grep. If no file is specified, then the standard input is decompressed if necessary and fed to grep. Otherwise the given files are uncompressed if necessary and fed to grep. If the GREP environment variable is set, zgrep uses it as the grep program to be invoked. EXIT CODE
2 - An option that is not supported was specified. AUTHOR
Charles Levert (charles@comm.polymtl.ca) SEE ALSO
grep(1), gzexe(1), gzip(1), zdiff(1), zforce(1), zmore(1), znew(1) ZGREP(1)