Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Compare Two Files(Column By Column) In Perl or shell Post 302545668 by ahamed101 on Tuesday 9th of August 2011 06:02:59 AM
Old 08-09-2011
so the length of the fields will be present in another file? we have to read that and then get the columns?

-ahamed

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare Column value from Two Different Files

Hi, I need help to write a korn shell script to 1. Check and compare the first file contains single record from the /scp/inbox directory against the badpnt.dat file from the pnt/badfiles directory contains multiple records based on the fam_id column value start at position 38 to 47 from the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: hanie123
7 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

column compare of files

Hi i want to compare files a.txt 12345,23 34567,76 65456,10 13467,01 b.txt 12346,23 34567,76 23333,90 65456,10 13467,03 i want o/p in 3 files common.txt both have (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: aaysa123
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare files column to column based on keys

Here is my situation. I need to compare two tab separated files (diff is not useful since there could be known difference between files). I have found similar posts , but not fully matching.I was thinking of writing a shell script using cut and grep and while loop but after going thru posts it... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: blackjack101
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Joining multiple files based on one column with different and similar values (shell or perl)

Hi, I have nine files looking similar to file1 & file2 below. File1: 1 ABCA1 1 ABCC8 1 ABR:N 1 ACACB 1 ACAP2 1 ACOT1 1 ACSBG 1 ACTR1 1 ACTRT 1 ADAMT 1 AEN:N 1 AKAP1File2: 1 A4GAL 1 ACTBL 1 ACTL7 (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: seqbiologist
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 2 files and match column data and align data from 3 column

Hello experts, Please help me in achieving this in an easier way possible. I have 2 csv files with following data: File1 08/23/2012 12:35:47,JOB_5330 08/23/2012 12:35:47,JOB_5330 08/23/2012 12:36:09,JOB_5340 08/23/2012 12:36:14,JOB_5340 08/23/2012 12:36:22,JOB_5350 08/23/2012... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: asnandhakumar
5 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to compare 2 files column's more than 5?

Hi All I am just trying to compare 2 file using column information using following code awk ' NR==FNR {A=$9; next} {B=A; print $0,B""?B:" Not -In file" } ' OFS="\t" file1 file2if file1 matches with file2 then print $9 content in file 1 along with file2 $0 suppose if I keyed on only $1 in... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Akshay Hegde
17 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Compare 1 column in 2 files

Hi all, I have two two-column tab-separated files with the following input: inputA dog A dog B cat A.... inputB dog C mouse A output dog I need to compare the 1st column of each file and output those shared items. What is the best unix solution for that? (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: owwow14
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with compare two column and print out column with smallest number

Input file : 5 20 500 2 20 41 41 0 23 1 Desired output : 5 2 20 0 1 By comparing column 1 and 2 in each line, I hope can print out the column with smallest number. I did try the following code, but it don't look good :( (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: perl_beginner
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Need awk or Shell script to compare Column-1 of two different CSV files and print if column-1 matche

Example: I have files in below format file 1: zxc,133,joe@example.com cst,222,xyz@example1.com File 2 Contains: hxd hcd jws zxc cst File 1 has 50000 lines and file 2 has around 30000 lines : Expected Output has to be : hxd hcd jws (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TestPractice
5 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

UNIX script to compare 3rd column value with first column and display

Hello Team, My source data (INput) is like below EPIC1 router EPIC2 Targetdefinition Exp1 Expres rtr1 Router SQL SrcQual Exp1 Expres rtr1 Router EPIC1 Targetdefinition My output like SQL SrcQual Exp1 Expres Exp1 Expres rtr1 Router rtr1 Router EPIC1 Targetdefinition... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: sekhar.lsb
5 Replies
CUT(1)							    BSD General Commands Manual 						    CUT(1)

NAME
cut -- cut out selected portions of each line of a file SYNOPSIS
cut -b list [-n] [file ...] cut -c list [file ...] cut -f list [-d delim] [-s] [file ...] DESCRIPTION
The cut utility cuts out selected portions of each line (as specified by list) from each file and writes them to the standard output. If no file arguments are specified, or a file argument is a single dash ('-'), cut reads from the standard input. The items specified by list can be in terms of column position or in terms of fields delimited by a special character. Column numbering starts from 1. The list option argument is a comma or whitespace separated set of numbers and/or number ranges. Number ranges consist of a number, a dash ('-'), and a second number and select the fields or columns from the first number to the second, inclusive. Numbers or number ranges may be preceded by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from 1 to the last number. Numbers or number ranges may be followed by a dash, which selects all fields or columns from the last number to the end of the line. Numbers and number ranges may be repeated, overlapping, and in any order. If a field or column is specified multiple times, it will appear only once in the output. It is not an error to select fields or columns not present in the input line. The options are as follows: -b list The list specifies byte positions. -c list The list specifies character positions. -d delim Use delim as the field delimiter character instead of the tab character. -f list The list specifies fields, separated in the input by the field delimiter character (see the -d option.) Output fields are separated by a single occurrence of the field delimiter character. -n Do not split multi-byte characters. Characters will only be output if at least one byte is selected, and, after a prefix of zero or more unselected bytes, the rest of the bytes that form the character are selected. -s Suppress lines with no field delimiter characters. Unless specified, lines with no delimiters are passed through unmodified. ENVIRONMENT
The LANG, LC_ALL and LC_CTYPE environment variables affect the execution of cut as described in environ(7). EXIT STATUS
The cut utility exits 0 on success, and >0 if an error occurs. EXAMPLES
Extract users' login names and shells from the system passwd(5) file as ``name:shell'' pairs: cut -d : -f 1,7 /etc/passwd Show the names and login times of the currently logged in users: who | cut -c 1-16,26-38 SEE ALSO
colrm(1), paste(1) STANDARDS
The cut utility conforms to IEEE Std 1003.2-1992 (``POSIX.2''). HISTORY
A cut command appeared in AT&T System III UNIX. BSD
December 21, 2006 BSD