Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Red Hat Increase root file system size ... Post 302545515 by snchaudhari2 on Monday 8th of August 2011 04:37:44 PM
Old 08-08-2011
Increase root file system size ...

Hello Admins,

I am running a redhat linux 5 on vmware workstation.

I need to increase or add some more space to my root (/) partition. I don't have any LVM configured..

Please suggest.
Code:
[root@localhost /]# df -kh
Filesystem            Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda2             3.8G  3.1G  556M  85% /
tmpfs                 506M     0  506M   0% /dev/shm
/dev/sda3             8.9G   21M  8.4G   1% /home

Or How can I allocate the extra space available for "/home" to "/" ..?

Last edited by pludi; 08-08-2011 at 06:09 PM..

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Solaris

Increase size of /tmp swap File

Hi Guys I need to increase the size of my /tmp swap file. What is the easiest way to do this. Thanks Carson (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: cmackin
2 Replies

2. Solaris

increase root file system size in solaris

Hi frnz, Need an urgent help... I have installed solaris 8 in a sunblade workstation with 136GB hdd. While installation it has taken a default filesystem size as 1.37GB for root. AFtr completing the installation i have extended the root partition to 130GB. But still df output shows... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sriram.s
4 Replies

3. Solaris

how to increase size of the root partition

Hi we have a sunfire v880 server . we have a problem with root partion it showing 90% full. so anyone can help me how to increase the size of that partion. NOTE: It is not in veritas & SVM control. Regards prakash (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pshelke
6 Replies

4. Solaris

increase Root size

Dear all, I am very new to solaris, I have installed solaris 10, i tried installing few softwares into file system, unfortunately system failed to install stating "No space left on device " i searched few threads and it says, we have to increase root size. where my root size is... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: radhnki
2 Replies

5. AIX

increase the size of file system

Hi all, we are usig aix 4.3 and i need to increase the size of "/u01" file sytem which is mounted on logical volume "lv00", but "/u01" file system size is 9 GB and logical volume "lvoo" size 9 GB.how do i increase the size of /u01.do i increase the size of logical volume "lv00" and then... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: younusdba
2 Replies

6. Solaris

how to increase file size in solaris 10 os

hi, let me know how to increase file size in solaris 10 OS (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: meet2muneer
4 Replies

7. Solaris

How to increase jvm size for solaris 10 (sparc) operating system

Hi, I have solaris 10 (sparc) operating system machine on which I have installed supported weblogic 10.3. It was installed properly. As we know weblogic uses jvm to run and uses a part of jvm memory. But I am facing one problem in which JVM is getting crashed again and again resulting my... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: neeraj.tati
2 Replies

8. HP-UX

[Solved] Increase the file system size

Dear Friends, I would like to increase the size of a file system from 10GB to 15GB. System is runing on HP-UX 11.31. Please help in the matter. Regards, Bhagawati Pandey (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: BPANDEY
3 Replies

9. Red Hat

Procedure to increase file system

Hi, How/what is the procedure to increase file system in linux server ? Regards, Maddy (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: Maddy123
6 Replies

10. Solaris

Increase /tmp file system size dynamically in Solaris zone

Hi Please let me know how to increase the size of /tmp file system from 512m to 1024m dynamically without reboot in solaris zone # df -h Filesystem size used avail capacity Mounted on zones/zone1 11G 1.0G 10.0G 10% / /dev 11G 1.0G ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: sb200
6 Replies
SWITCH_ROOT(8)                                                 System Administration                                                SWITCH_ROOT(8)

NAME
switch_root - switch to another filesystem as the root of the mount tree SYNOPSIS
switch_root [-hV] switch_root newroot init [arg...] DESCRIPTION
switch_root moves already mounted /proc, /dev, /sys and /run to newroot and makes newroot the new root filesystem and starts init process. WARNING: switch_root removes recursively all files and directories on the current root filesystem. OPTIONS
-h, --help Display help text and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. RETURN VALUE
switch_root returns 0 on success and 1 on failure. NOTES
switch_root will fail to function if newroot is not the root of a mount. If you want to switch root into a directory that does not meet this requirement then you can first use a bind-mounting trick to turn any directory into a mount point: mount --bind $DIR $DIR SEE ALSO
chroot(2), init(8), mkinitrd(8), mount(8) AUTHORS
Peter Jones <pjones@redhat.com> Jeremy Katz <katzj@redhat.com> Karel Zak <kzak@redhat.com> AVAILABILITY
The switch_root command is part of the util-linux package and is available from https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux June 2009 SWITCH_ROOT(8)