Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem with bash shell script program Post 302545316 by zaxxon on Monday 8th of August 2011 04:50:55 AM
Old 08-08-2011
Moderator's Comments:
Mod Comment
Please use code tags when posting data and code samples! You also got a PM with a guide.

The commands will not be executed since either backticks ´ or dollar and brackets $(...) are missing, as well as surrounding double quotation marks "":
Code:
if [ "$(ps ax | grep -v grep | grep $SERVICE)" ]; then

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem accessing Multiple Variables from C Program to a Shell script

program name--test #!/bin/bash output1=`/home/user/a.c` output2=`/home/user/a.c` k=`$output1 + 1` m=`$output2 + 1` echo $k echo $m --------------------------------------------------------------------------- prgram name--a.c #include<stdio.h> int main() (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: sameworld1980
1 Replies

2. Homework & Coursework Questions

Run Program from Bash CGI-Script

Use and complete the template provided. The entire template must be completed. If you don't, your post may be deleted! 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data: This is a problem I am having with my 2 semester senior project. I have a LAMP server running Ubuntu 9.10 with... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: JMooney5115
8 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

bash script to check if a program is running

I'm a bit new to bash programming and I was assigned the job of writing a script that will check to see if a program server is running and to restart the program if it is not up. The script is supposed to check the program every hour (which I have looked up and I believe I know how to do) and send... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mcknz
3 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Bash script to execute a program to rename files

I just can't figure it out , so please just give me a pice of advise how to: The existing Linux program foo2bar takes as its only argument the name of a single foo file and converts it to an appropriately-named bar file. Provide a script that when executed will run foo2bar against all foo... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: raymen
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash script to start program and answer prompts?

I'm trying to write a script the simplifies the execution of a program: After starting the program (sh ~/.mfix/model/make_mfix) I am prompted four times for options: Do you need SMP version? (y/n) Do you need DMP version? (y/n) Do you need debug version? (y/n) Force re-compilation of... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: lanew
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem while Invoke Shell Script function from Java Program

Hi, I have create a Shell Script, with one function. I want to call the script file in Java Program. It working fine. but the problem is the function in the Shell Script is not executed. Please suggest me, Regards, Nanthagopal A (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nanthagopal
2 Replies

7. Programming

Putting bash script in C program

suppose i have a bash script: #!/bin/bash echo "hello" echo "how are you" echo "today" how can i put the entire script above into a basic c program? i do not want to translate the bash code to a c code. i want C to run the bash code. is this possible? i found this on the... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
15 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Running a C/C++ program and/or bash script from a server

I wish to be able to give to a client the opportunity to : 0) Turn one of my ubuntu computers into a webserver 1) See a webpage after visiting a url where an external user/client can set a couple of variables (e.g. Number1= ?, Number2=?) 2) By pressing "run" the program runs on my machine 3)... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: frad
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with Bash Shell Script Spell Checker program.

I have a majority of this problem done but seem to be struggling on the last couple of steps. Here is the whole problem to help you guys get a better understanding. Write a shell script that implements a simple spell checker. The filename you will use for your script will be your Z-id followed... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: DsmRacer2k14
1 Replies

10. UNIX for Beginners Questions & Answers

Pass RegEx to java program in bash script

I can't seem to get this right. I've tried it every way imaginable using every trick I see on stackexchange and such. No luck. So nothing major here, something like: #!/bin/bash SEARCH="ARG1 ARG2 '((^EXACT$)|(.*InTheMiddle*)|(^AtBeginning*))'" java -cp /my/class/path MyClassName $SEARCH... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: stonkers
3 Replies
SYSTEM(3)						     Linux Programmer's Manual							 SYSTEM(3)

NAME
system - execute a shell command SYNOPSIS
#include <stdlib.h> int system(const char *string); DESCRIPTION
system() executes a command specified in string by calling /bin/sh -c string, and returns after the command has been completed. During execution of the command, SIGCHLD will be blocked, and SIGINT and SIGQUIT will be ignored. RETURN VALUE
The value returned is -1 on error (e.g. fork failed), and the return status of the command otherwise. This latter return status is in the format specified in wait(2). Thus, the exit code of the command will be WEXITSTATUS(status). In case /bin/sh could not be executed, the exit status will be that of a command that does exit(127). If the value of string is NULL, system() returns nonzero if the shell is available, and zero if not. system() does not affect the wait status of any other children. CONFORMING TO
ANSI C, POSIX.2, BSD 4.3 NOTES
As mentioned, system() ignores SIGINT and SIGQUIT. This may make programs that call it from a loop uninterruptable, unless they take care themselves to check the exit status of the child. E.g. while(something) { int ret = system("foo"); if (WIFSIGNALED(ret) && (WTERMSIG(ret) == SIGINT || WTERMSIG(ret) == SIGQUIT)) break; } Do not use system() from a program with suid or sgid privileges, because strange values for some environment variables might be used to subvert system integrity. Use the exec(3) family of functions instead, but not execlp(3) or execvp(3). system() will not, in fact, work properly from programs with suid or sgid privileges on systems on which /bin/sh is bash version 2, since bash 2 drops privileges on startup. (Debian uses a modified bash which does not do this when invoked as sh.) The check for the availability of /bin/sh is not actually performed; it is always assumed to be available. ISO C specifies the check, but POSIX.2 specifies that the return shall always be non-zero, since a system without the shell is not conforming, and it is this that is implemented. It is possible for the shell command to return 127, so that code is not a sure indication that the execve() call failed. SEE ALSO
sh(1), signal(2), wait(2), exec(3) 2001-09-23 SYSTEM(3)