Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Problem in comparing 2 files string by string Post 302545213 by birei on Sunday 7th of August 2011 12:24:59 PM
Old 08-07-2011
Hi,

An example of your input file would be useful to try to get a solution. At least for me.

Regards,
Birei

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed problem - replacement string should be same length as matching string.

Hi guys, I hope you can help me with my problem. I have a text file that contains lines like this: 78 ANGELO -809.05 79 ANGELO2 -5,000.06 I need to find all occurences of amounts that are negative and replace them with x's 78 ANGELO xxxxxxx 79... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: amangeles
4 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Extracting a string from one file and searching the same string in other files

Hi, Need to extract a string from one file and search the same in other files. Ex: I have file1 of hundred lines with no delimiters not even space. I have 3 more files. I should get 1 to 10 characters say substring from each line of file1 and search that string in rest of the files and get... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: mohancrr
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in comparing numeric with string

Hi all, I am having a problem in comparing numeric value with string. I have a variable in my script which gets the value dynamically. It can be a numeric value or a string. I have to do separate task based on its value numeric or sting variable VARIABLE. I grep FILE_COUNT and obtained... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: naren_0101bits
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problem comparing String using IF stmt

Hi frnds Im facing an issues while trying to compare string using IF stmt, my code is: chkMsgName=`Service Fee Detail` if then if then if then echo "Valid File Ready for processing" fi fi ... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: balesh
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Parsing a long string string problem for procmail

Hi everyone, I am working on fetchmail + procmail to filter mails and I am having problem with parsing a long line in the body of the email. Could anyone help me construct a reg exp for this string below. It needs to match exactly as this string. GetRyt... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: cwiggler
4 Replies

6. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Comparing a String variable with a string literal in a Debian shell script

Hi All, I am trying to to compare a string variable with a string literal inside a loop but keep getting the ./testifstructure.sh: line 6: #!/bin/sh BOOK_LIST="BOOK1 BOOK2" for BOOK in ${BOOK_LIST} do if then echo '1' else echo '2' fi done Please use next... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: daveu7
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep exact string from files and write to filename when string present in file

I am attempting to grep an exact string from a series of files within a directory and append that output to the filename when it is present in the file. I've been after this all day with no luck. Thanks for your help in advance :wall:. (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: JC_1
4 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to append a string by comparing another string?

Hi , I have one file like BUD,BDL BUDCAR BUD,BDL BUDLAMP ABC,CDF,KLT ABISKAR ABC,CDF,KLT CORNEL ABC,CDF,KLT KANNAD JKL,HNM,KTY,KJY JAGAN JKL,HNM,KTY,KJY HOUSE JKL,HNM,KTY,KJY KATAK JKL,HNM,KTY,KJY KOLKA The o/p should be like BUD,BDL BUDCAR,BUDLAMP ABC,CDF,KLT... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: jagdishrout
4 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Grep string in files and list file names that contain the string

Hi, I have a list of zipped files. I want to grep for a string in all files and get a list of file names that contain the string. But without unzipping them before that, more like using something like gzcat. My OS is: SunOS test 5.10 Generic_142900-13 sun4u sparc SUNW,SPARC-Enterprise (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: apenkov
8 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Help comparing string, please

Good morning, I need compare this string. if || || ; then But this line not work, somebody can say me what is the error. Thank you for advanced. (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: systemoper
5 Replies