Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Linux Debian Write permission for USB device Post 302545146 by snorkack59 on Saturday 6th of August 2011 09:47:19 PM
Old 08-06-2011
On Debian, pmount is the program that uses the plugdev group. I installed pmount. This program allows users to manually mount storage devices. Unfortunately, this is not what I need to do and Debian already has some daemon that automatically does this.

I am trying to use a logic device programmer which has a USB connection with wine running the Windows application program. Debian automatically mounts the USB device ok but the application program doesn't have write permission to use it.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Saving scripts to usb device

How do I save a script to a pen drive? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: beginner1
3 Replies

2. Linux

mounting usb device

Hi Folks, I want to know how to mount usb device (cd,dvd etc) in linux, Regards, Manoj (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: manoj.solaris
4 Replies

3. Solaris

Usb Device

AM TRYING TO CONNECT A USB EXTERNAL DRIVE FOR BACKUP,THE USB SLOT IS AVAILABLE,BUT I DONT KNOW IF IT IS READY WHEN I CONNECT IT,AND WHAT COMMANDS DO I NEED. tHANKS (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: tomjones
10 Replies

4. UNIX and Linux Applications

Mounting a USB device with a predetermined name

When I attach a USB storage device to my Solaris server, the mount point is coming up as /rmdisk/unnamed_rmdisk Is there anyway I can have this device come up as a mounted device with a predetermined mount name eg /morespace rather than unnamed_rmdisk ? (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: jimthompson
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

safe removal of usb device

hi, I was wondering if there's a way to safely disconnect a usb device from computer, I ask this because in windows when you disconnect a usb pen with the safe removal, the pen light then turns off, while I tried removing the pen with solaris and the light was still on ? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: freeware
2 Replies

6. Red Hat

How to Block the USB device

Hi friends, I wanna know how to block USB devices in my RedHat flavor Operating system. regards, Prakash (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: prakashkumar41
3 Replies

7. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

USB Device Identification

In linux system when a pnp usb device is plugged in then how does the system gets a notification of it? I mean to say in linux usb system there is usb host controller above which is host controller driver above which is usb core. So does the host controller/usb core keeps on polling the usb bus... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rupeshkp728
1 Replies

8. Ubuntu

how to make others have read/write permission when the aotu mounted usb flash disk pluge in ?

hi all: as we know , when usb flash disk plug in and aotu mounted , the default permission of the usb flash disk is 700. that means others have no permission . the question: how to make others have read/write permission when the aotu mounted usb flash disk pluge in ? thanks !! (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arnold.king
0 Replies

9. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

USB device not recognised after re-connect

Hi all unixware 7.1.3 I'm afraid ! I connected a usb tape drive and it was automatically recognised in the device list (sdiconfig -l) and created devices in /dev/rmt (ctape1 etc.). I could successfully read and write to the device. Then unplugged the usb cable and plugged it back in again... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: deel
0 Replies

10. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Tar on usb device

Hi, i am developing an application on an ARM 7 architatcure with a small Linux. i want to run tar on a usb device (~10 Mb) but it runs realy slow. the command only takes 1% of cpu usage. is there a way to improve the tar command or is the USB-Connection the bottleneck here? (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: louisk
4 Replies
IVMAN(8)						      System Manager's Manual							  IVMAN(8)

NAME
ivman - volume manager SYNOPSIS
ivman [ -sd ] [ --nofork ] [ -c <directory> ] DESCRIPTION
Ivman, or Ikke's Volume Manager, is a daemon to handle the mounting of media as they are inserted/attached to the system. It can also be used to execute arbitrary commands when a device with certain properties is added to the system (Windows autoplay style functionality), and to execute arbitrary commands when device properties change. Ivman uses HAL to monitor the state of your system's hardware. OPTIONS
-s or --system Start Ivman in system-wide mode. This is the default if running Ivman as root. When this option is specified, Ivman reads from the system-wide configuration directory ( usually /etc/ivman/ ); if this option is not specified, Ivman reads from ${HOME}/.ivman/ instead. Either of these locations may be overridden with the -c option. Other behaviour may differ slightly when running in sys- tem-wide mode. Don't use this option unless you know you need it. --nofork Force Ivman not to daemonize, regardless of settings in IvmConfigBase.xml. Useful for capturing debugging output. -d or --debug Force Ivman to give debugging output, regardless of settings in IvmConfigBase.xml. -c <directory> or --confdir <directory> Force Ivman to load configuration files from the specified directory. DETAILS
Ivman is a flexible device manager, allowing users to run arbitrary commands when devices are added/removed, when device properties change, and when devices emit conditions. For automount purposes, Ivman should be run once from a system-wide init script and once per user session (e.g., create a link to /usr/bin/ivman in ~/.kde/Autostart or put an entry for /usr/bin/ivman in gnome-session-manager). When a device is attached, Ivman will call pmount or mount to mount the device. If pmount is used, it will mount the device readable and writeable only for the current user; if no per-user instance of Ivman is running, the device will be mounted read/write for everyone in the same group as is required to use the pmount command, and read-only for everyone else. If regular mount is used, then an fstab entry must exist in /etc/fstab for the device to be mounted, and the settings given in that fstab entry will be used for the mount. Ivman is supplied with sensible default configuration files for volume management, but autoplay functionality has no default actions; you will need to edit ${HOME}/.ivman/IvmConfigActions.xml(5) or /etc/ivman/IvmConfigActions.xml(5) to specify some programs to execute. The syntax of this file and the other Ivman configuration files are specified in their own manpages. FILES
/etc/ivman/IvmConfigActions.xml actions to perform when media is inserted /etc/ivman/IvmConfigBase.xml options affecting the running of Ivman /etc/ivman/IvmConfigConditions.xml actions to perform when devices emit conditions /etc/ivman/IvmConfigProperties.xml actions to perform when device properties change SEE ALSO
IvmConfigActions.xml(5), IvmConfigBase.xml(5), IvmConfigConditions.xml(5), IvmConfigProperties.xml(5) BUGS
Hopefully, none :-) But there could be some still lurking. If you encounter a bug, please forward details to rohan.pm@gmail.com or add it to the bug tracker at the project's Sourceforge page, http://sourceforge.net/projects/ivman 9 December 2005 IVMAN(8)