Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting search replace with loop and variable Post 302545077 by a20786 on Saturday 6th of August 2011 07:56:54 AM
Old 08-06-2011
Code:
sed 's/[0-9]{1,}(/(/g' inputfilename

One way! Will search for a string of numbers followed by a '(' and then will replace it with '('.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

search & replace in variable

Can I use search & replace in any variable? Suppose I have one variable named var1 which holds value "abcabc" I need to search 'a' in var1 and want to replace with 'x' like 'xbcxbc'. Is it possible? Can you provide me an example? Malay (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: malaymaru
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl search and replace in range using variable

Hi. I have a file with asterisk field separators and backslash line terminators. The first field in each line names the line type. I am trying to process each range separately. Here's what the data looks like: BA*DATA\ LS*DATA1*DATA2*00020*\ TA*DATA1*DATA2*DATA3*\ TA*DATA1*DATA2*DATA3*\... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: yoi2hot4ya
1 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

search the pattern in a file and replace with variable already defined previously in csh

I want to replace a certain pattern with the variable already defined. e.g. set path_verilog = /home/priya/bin/verilogfile my file contents are : verilog new verilog is defined here verilog_path_comes I am using the below command sed 's/verilog_path_comes/'$path_verilog'/g' <filename>... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: nehashine
2 Replies

4. Programming

PERL, search and replace inside foreach loop

Hello All, Im a Hardware engineer, I have written this script to automate my job. I got stuck in the following location. CODE: .. .. ... foreach $key(keys %arr_hash) { my ($loc,$ind,$add) = split /,/, $arr_hash{$key}; &create_verilog($key, $loc, $ind ,$add); } sub create_verilog{... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: riyasnr007
2 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using SED with variable to replace strings in while loop

Hi guys, Hi have this input (Menu.xml)<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> <breakfast_menu> <food> <name>Berry-Berry Belgian Waffles</name> <price>$8.95</price> <calories>900</calories> </food> <food> <name>French Toast</name> ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: cgkmal
6 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Speeding up search and replace in a for loop

Hello, I am using sed in a for loop to replace text in a 100MB file. I have about 55,000 entries to convert in a csv file with two entries per line. The following script works to search file.txt for the first field from conversion.csv and then replace it with the second field. While it works fine,... (15 Replies)
Discussion started by: pbluescript
15 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to search, replace and multiply variable within awk?

I have a file that reports the size of disks GB's or TB's - I need the file to report everything in MB's. Here is an extract of the file - the last column is the disk size. 19BC 2363 20G 1AA3 2363 2.93T 1A94 2363 750G Whenever I come across a G I want to delete the G and multiply by... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kieranfoley
2 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Search and replace with variable

Hello all, I stumbled upon a command line for multiple search and replace within given destination perl -pi -w -e 's/SEARCH_FOR/REPLACE_WITH/g;' *.html I want to replace the following line where the date is the variable, from <div class="meta"> <ul> <li>05.05.2015 with date tags, like... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: uninuub
5 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk search and replace nth column by using a variable.

I am passing a variable and replace nth value with the variable. I tried using many options in awk command but unable to ignore the special characters in the output and also unable to pass the actual value. Input : "1","2","3" Output : "1","1000","3" TempVal=`echo 1000` Cat... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: onesuri
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

awk variable search and line count between variable-search pattern

Input: |Running the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:48:01 BST 2016 |End of the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:49:54 BST 2016 |Running the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:54:01 BST 2016 |End of the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 22:55:45 BST 2016 |Running the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 23:00:02 BST 2016 |End of the Rsync|Sun Oct 16 23:01:44 BST 2016... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: busyboy
4 Replies
TR(1)							      General Commands Manual							     TR(1)

NAME
tr - translate characters SYNOPSIS
tr [ -cds ] [ string1 [ string2 ] ] DESCRIPTION
Tr copies the standard input to the standard output with substitution or deletion of selected characters (runes). Input characters found in string1 are mapped into the corresponding characters of string2. When string2 is short it is padded to the length of string1 by dupli- cating its last character. Any combination of the options -cds may be used: -c Complement string1: replace it with a lexicographically ordered list of all other characters. -d Delete from input all characters in string1. -s Squeeze repeated output characters that occur in string2 to single characters. In either string a noninitial sequence -x, where x is any character (possibly quoted), stands for a range of characters: a possibly empty sequence of codes running from the successor of the previous code up through the code for x. The character followed by 1, 2 or 3 octal digits stands for the character whose 16-bit value is given by those digits. The character sequence followed by 1, 2, 3, or 4 hexadecimal digits stands for the character whose 16-bit value is given by those digits. A followed by any other character stands for that character. EXAMPLES
Replace all upper-case ASCII letters by lower-case. tr A-Z a-z <mixed >lower Create a list of all the words in one per line in where a word is taken to be a maximal string of alphabetics. String2 is given as a quoted newline. tr -cs A-Za-z ' ' <file1 >file2 SOURCE
/src/cmd/tr.c SEE ALSO
sed(1) TR(1)