Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Command output string manipulation possible in one line? Post 302545031 by Ryan. on Friday 5th of August 2011 11:23:55 PM
Old 08-06-2011
I take that as "no."

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

how to? launch command with string of command line options

my description from another thread... here's my code: #!/bin/bash IFS=$'\n' function OutputName() { input=$1 echo $input input=`echo "$input" | sed -e 's/.//'` input=`echo "$input".avi` output_name=$input } if ]; then echo... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: TinCanFury
5 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

reading ps command's output line by line

hi; as a pseudo; while read psLine do myFunc $psLine done < ps i don't want to redirect ps command's to a file. in fact, my problem is "how can i read stdout line by line in bash, sed, awk or any?" thanks, (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: s. murat
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Remove a specific line from grep output string

Dear All I want to search string "1000" from input file and if it found i want remove line that contain 1000 and also remove 3 line above it and 2 line below it. INPUT FILE: BHAT-D 2 aaa ID CODE GS UPDATE MODE LANG MCO MCL NUMPAGES 50 ... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: jaydeep_sadaria
7 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

grep only a string on command output

How can I grep exactly a string that has .,/ characters using grep? Example: I want to grep ONLY string1 and not string1.more or string1.more.evenmore #lsauth ALL|grep 'string1' All output: string1 <--- This is the only I want. string1.more string1.evenmore. more.string1... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: iga3725
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Bash - Loading a command's output line by line into an array

I have been trying this a lot of different ways and haven't found too much online. Here's what I've got so far: j=0 declare -a first zero=(`cat $tmpfile`) for i in "${zero}" do command $i >> "${first}" ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: Azrael
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Want to terminate command execution when string found in the command output

Hi Experts, I am very much new to linux scripting, I am currently working on reducing my manual work and hence writing a script to automate few task. I am running below command to snmpwalk the router.. snmpwalk -v 3 -u WANDL_SU -a MD5 -A vfipmpls -x DES -X VfIpMpLs -l authPriv... (19 Replies)
Discussion started by: Hanumant.madane
19 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Manipulation of file/folder with output of command

I like organising some of my folders in the format of yyyymmdd to keep them in chronological order. For example, today which is 5th July 2014, I made a folder named 20140705. I want to manipulate these folders from a shell script, but I cannot find out how to do it without typing the literal name... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: Gen12345
5 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe.

Sed command to replace a line in a file using line number from the output of a pipe. Is it possible to replace a whole line piped from someother command into a file at paritcular line... here is some basic execution flow.. the line number is 412 lineNo=412 Now i have a line... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vivek d r
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to read the output of a command line by line and pass it as a variable?

Hi, I have some 2000 names in a table like below. Java Oracle/SQL ANSI SQL SQL,DWH,DB DB&Java And by using for loop in my code i am able to get a single word but if there is any special character or space then it is considering as a next line. I have to execute the below queries in... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Samah
10 Replies
HOSTNAME(5)							   /etc/hostname						       HOSTNAME(5)

NAME
hostname - Local host name configuration file SYNOPSIS
/etc/hostname DESCRIPTION
The /etc/hostname file configures the name of the local system that is set during boot, with the sethostname(2) system call. It should contain a single newline-terminated host name string. The host name may be a free-form string up to 64 characters in length, however it is recommended that it consists only of 7bit ASCII lower-case characters and no spaces or dots, and limits itself to the format allowed for DNS domain name labels, even though this is not a strict requirement. Depending on the operating system other configuration files might be checked for configuration of the host name as well, however only as fallback. HISTORY
The simple configuration file format of /etc/hostname originates from Debian GNU/Linux. SEE ALSO
systemd(1), sethostname(2), hostname(1), hostname(7), machine-id(5), machine-info(5) AUTHOR
Lennart Poettering <lennart@poettering.net> Developer systemd 10/07/2013 HOSTNAME(5)