Sponsored Content
Operating Systems Solaris Bind9 DNS on Solaris 10 x4270 & CPU usage Post 302544827 by parisph on Friday 5th of August 2011 07:21:00 AM
Old 08-05-2011
Bind9 DNS on Solaris 10 x4270 & CPU usage

I have configured a Bind9 DNS on a X4270 machine with Solaris10

I am excuting some repformance tests with DNSPERF tool and maximun CPU usage is 23%. I have seen with
prstat -L -p PID
that named process usses only 2 of the 8 available CPU at the same time although threads for all CPUs exist.

Any idea why this happens and how can I change it? I want to reach at least 70%.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. HP-UX

How to determine cpu&memory percentage usage per user

Using HP-UX v11 Need to monitor cpu and memory usage, total for system and separately for each user in command-line mode. Found out next ways to monitor total cpu usage under hp-ux: 1) vmstat, also shows free memory 2) sar -M ps -eo user,pcpu - does not work, means 'user-defined format'... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: hp-ux-user
4 Replies

2. Solaris

Process CPU usage in Solaris 10

Hi All, Please let me know the command (expect top) to view the cpu usage of every process in Solaris 10. Thanks in Advance, Arun (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: arun.viswanath
1 Replies

3. Cybersecurity

Dns cache poisoning upgrade to bind9.5.0p2

Hi again guys, It seems this is a global thing affecting all the DNS bind versions prior to July 28 2008. I have my work cut out for me very soon, I see at least a handful of servers in my list that either need to patching or upgrading. How many of you guys are affected? Anybody successfully... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: sparcguy
4 Replies

4. IP Networking

DNS upgrade issues, bind9.5.0_P1

so we had bind 9.3.0... we upgraded to 9.5.0 patch 1 we kept the exact same named.conf now we have a problem that some DMZ server cant do lookups from our DNS slave anymore. in the named.log we see things like this: 22-Jul-2008 16:05:04.694 security: info: client <our DMZ servers... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: robsonde
2 Replies

5. HP-UX

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and logical volume usage

how can I find cpu usage memory usage swap usage and I want to know CPU usage above X% and contiue Y times and memory usage above X % and contiue Y times my final destination is monitor process logical volume usage above X % and number of Logical voluage above can I not to... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: alert0919
3 Replies

6. Solaris

Multi CPU Solaris system shows 100% CPU usage.

Hello Friends, On one of my Solaris 10 box, CPU usage shows 100% using "sar", "vmstat". However, it has 4 CPUs and prstat and glance are not showing enough processes to justify high CPU utilization. ========================================================================= $ prstat -a ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: mahive
4 Replies

7. AIX

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage,memory usage,CPU usage,network..?

How to monitor the IBM AIX server for I/O usage, memory usage, CPU usage, network usage, storage usage? (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: laknar
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to find out memory & cpu usage of a process

Hi, By using time command we can determine the execution time of a process or command. bash-2.04$ time ls -l total 0 -rw-r--r-- 1 admin tac 0 Oct 6 04:46 file1 -rw-r--r-- 1 admin tac 0 Oct 6 04:46 file2 real 0m0.002s user 0m0.000s sys 0m0.001s... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: learn more
5 Replies

9. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Extremely high kernel CPU Usage (Solaris 10 SPARC)

I've got a domain running on a few boards of a 25k. I'm seeing very high kernel cpu usage in top and cant' quite explain it. System runs a large number of smallish Oracle 10g2 databases (30), used mainly for development. load average: 36.63, 36.68, 37.42 2489 processes: 2452 sleeping, 21... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: utopiajoe
0 Replies

10. Solaris

x4270 Solaris Install without DVD Drive

Hello, Im installing solaris 10 on an x4270 server, but there is no DVD drive. I have only my windows laptop (with dvd drive) and direct access to the ILOM on the server via straight cable. Does anyone know any tips on how to get the solaris installed using what i have? Thanks, K. (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: kerrygold
2 Replies
TASKSET(1)							   User Commands							TASKSET(1)

NAME
taskset - retrieve or set a process's CPU affinity SYNOPSIS
taskset [options] mask command [arg]... taskset [options] -p [mask] pid DESCRIPTION
taskset is used to set or retrieve the CPU affinity of a running process given its PID or to launch a new COMMAND with a given CPU affin- ity. CPU affinity is a scheduler property that "bonds" a process to a given set of CPUs on the system. The Linux scheduler will honor the given CPU affinity and the process will not run on any other CPUs. Note that the Linux scheduler also supports natural CPU affinity: the scheduler attempts to keep processes on the same CPU as long as practical for performance reasons. Therefore, forcing a specific CPU affinity is useful only in certain applications. The CPU affinity is represented as a bitmask, with the lowest order bit corresponding to the first logical CPU and the highest order bit corresponding to the last logical CPU. Not all CPUs may exist on a given system but a mask may specify more CPUs than are present. A retrieved mask will reflect only the bits that correspond to CPUs physically on the system. If an invalid mask is given (i.e., one that corresponds to no valid CPUs on the current system) an error is returned. The masks are typically given in hexadecimal. For example, 0x00000001 is processor #0 0x00000003 is processors #0 and #1 0xFFFFFFFF is all processors (#0 through #31). When taskset returns, it is guaranteed that the given program has been scheduled to a legal CPU. OPTIONS
-a, --all-tasks Set or retrieve the CPU affinity of all the tasks (threads) for a given PID. -p, --pid Operate on an existing PID and do not launch a new task. -c, --cpu-list Specify a numerical list of processors instead of a bitmask. The numbers are separated by commas and may include ranges. For exam- ple: 0,5,7,9-11. -h, --help Display usage information and exit. -V, --version Display version information and exit. USAGE
The default behavior is to run a new command with a given affinity mask: taskset mask command [arguments] You can also retrieve the CPU affinity of an existing task: taskset -p pid Or set it: taskset -p mask pid PERMISSIONS
A user must possess CAP_SYS_NICE to change the CPU affinity of a process. Any user can retrieve the affinity mask. AUTHOR
Written by Robert M. Love. COPYRIGHT
Copyright (C) 2004 Robert M. Love This is free software; see the source for copying conditions. There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICU- LAR PURPOSE. SEE ALSO
chrt(1), nice(1), renice(1), sched_setaffinity(2), sched_getaffinity(2) See sched_setscheduler(2) for a description of the Linux scheduling scheme. AVAILABILITY
The taskset command is part of the util-linux package and is available from ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/utils/util-linux/. util-linux April 2003 TASKSET(1)