Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: strange output with du
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users strange output with du Post 302544733 by fpmurphy on Thursday 4th of August 2011 09:21:38 PM
Old 08-04-2011
Probably because in the first case you had no subdirectory under "/media/Part 1/Desktop/playlist" but in the second case had a subdirectory under "/media/Part 1/Bob_5-22-2010/Desktop/".

Quote:
The du(1) utility displays the file system block usage for each file
argument and for each directory in the file hierarchy rooted in each
directory argument. If no file is specified, the block usage of the
hierarchy rooted in the current directory is displayed.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Strange output from grep

Hi, I am getting different output for grep depending which directory I am in. The following is a transcript of my session, I am using egrep but have also used grep -E. The directory names have been changed for security: $pwd /dir1/dir2/dir3/dir4 $echo 000000 |egrep -v $echo $? 1 $cd ..... (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bab00shka
10 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

strange output

I had a similar script in solaris and it had no problem. I wrote this one in freeBSD and it gave me strange output. Can anyone please tell me why? thanks a lot #!/bin/sh #This is a shell script that checks file system capacity mounted on /home directory #If file system is over 90% capacity,... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: k2k
1 Replies

3. Solaris

solaris 10 strange df output

hi, in solaris 10 SUN SPARC V245 server the following df -h output is showing . can i reuse the following disk space by deleting them /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr/libc_psr_hwcap1.so.1 20G 5.2G 14G 27% /platform/sun4u-us3/lib/libc_psr.so.1... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: phani.madiraju
2 Replies

4. Solaris

Getting strange output of who -r command

Hi At OK> prompt, I have run the boot -s command After system is coming on to multiuser state, when I run the " who -r" command, I get the following message # who -r run-level Oct 17 03:48 last= Means I dont see "S" after run-level keyword. Could any one... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: amity
2 Replies

5. Solaris

Strange sar output

I was reviewing yesterday's sar file and came across this strange output! What in the world? Any reason why there's output like that? SunOS unixbox 5.10 Generic_144488-07 sun4v sparc SUNW,T5240 Solaris 00:00:58 device %busy avque r+w/s blks/s avwait avserv 11:20:01 ... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: dangral
4 Replies

6. Solaris

Strange df output on solaris 9

Hi all, After deleting some large log files on solaris 9 machine I can see strange df output shows below /dev/vx/dsk/rootvol 45G 16384E 50G 39879076698694% / I thought it will back to normal once I restart it but did not. I have seen in sunsolve article 6362734 that "Solaris 8... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: rajashekar333
0 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Tcl:Very strange output!!

Hi, I using tcl script to perform certain conditions. Part of the results should have average . I couldn't figure out what 's the cause as the result of the average is Zero. Example of the case???? #!/usr/bin/tclsh set counter 500 set total 1000 puts "Total num: $total \n" puts ... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: ENG_MOHD
3 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Strange /etc/passwd output

Can someone please explain this to me? auser:x:500:500:Anne User:/home/auser:/bin/sh buser:x:501:501:Bob User:/home/buser:/bin/bash I'm used to it looking like this. What is the difference between the first name and second name? In the first case I had to use the first name to change my... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: cokedude
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Strange output from find

How can I prevent find from outputting the directory name /home/xxxxxxxx/Backup/.system (which isn't even "other writable"? I am trying to search for files that are "world writable" on a shared web host using the find statement, and I want to prevent find from creating an error (because the of... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: nixie
4 Replies

10. Programming

Very strange output with casting

Hi All, I am having a strange issue. Below is the code snippet. If I print fraction * (double)::pow((double)10,scalingFactor) which is a double I am getting 154 when I type cast that to int as (int)( ((fraction) * ((double)::pow((double)10,scalingFactor)))) it is becoming 153. Not sure why... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: arunkumar_mca
0 Replies
uuclean(8c)															       uuclean(8c)

Name
       uuclean - uucp spool directory clean-up

Syntax
       uuclean -p[pre] [ options ... ]

Description
       The  command  scans the spool directory for files with the specified prefix and deletes all those which are older than the specified number
       of hours.

The -ppre argument causes the command to scan for files with pre as the file prefix.  You can specify up to 10 arguments.   A  without  any
       pre following causes all files older than the specified time to be deleted.  You must specify at least one argument.

Options
       -ntime	    Delete  all  files	whose age is more than time, in hours, (default is 72 hours) and that have the specified pre as their file
		    prefix.

-m	    Send mail to the owner of the file when it is deleted.

-ssystem     Delete files in all directories that are subdirectories of the per system spool directory that exists for system.  If  ALL	is
		    specified, then all system directories are processed.  ALL is the default.

-ddirectory  Delete files that reside in the named directory.  The default directory is The option over rides the option.

The  command typically starts the program.  In earlier versions, a deleted work file (C.file) would result in mail to the owner of the work
       file, regardless of the option.	Now, notification of deleted work files is sent to the user ID "uucp".	If the option  is  used,  mail	is
       also sent to the owner.

Examples
       Here are some example command lines:
       # uuclean -pLTMP. -pLOG. -n4 -d/usr/spool/uucp
       # uuclean -d/usr/spool/uucp/.XQTDIR -p -n
       # uuclean -smarkie -p -n84
       The third example deletes all files for the system that are older than 84 hours.

Files
       Directory with commands used by uuclean internally

See Also
       uucp(1c), uux(1c), cron(8)

uuclean(8c)