Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting re-Substitution Sed (or Perl) Post 302544691 by beenny on Thursday 4th of August 2011 03:09:03 PM
Old 08-04-2011
Thanks for the reply.

When I run that I get the following error:
Code:
]$ sed -i -e s/\"(.*)\,(.* )\"/\1::\2/g myfile.txt
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `('

However when I try it in perl:
Code:
$perl -pe 's/\"(.*)\,(.*)\"/$1::$2/g' myfile.txt

it works fine - so thanks!

any reason why the sed version doesn't work? just trying to learn more about scripting. the passing the matched string as a variable is a trick i wasn't familiar with and is great to know...

thanks,

bg

Last edited by Franklin52; 08-06-2011 at 04:18 PM.. Reason: Please use code tags for data and code samples, thank you

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Using varible/varible substitution in Perl/sed Search & Replace

Hi, I have a program that searches for a particular string patten. I am however having difficulty passing the varible $i (in a loop) as the string pattern to replace. Using either perl or sed search and replace statements, I get the same kinda result. For example, using the perl: for i in... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: Breen
3 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Substitution

I have lines in a file that look like this: machine: machinea machine: machineb machine: randomwhatevermachine I want to replace the machine lines with: machine: machinec I tried perl -pi -e "s/#machine:\?*/machine: machinec/" filename But this ended up doing this: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Lindarella
2 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Substitution using SED

Hi , I am stuck up in the below scenario:- I need to read a file name (eg A.txt) name frm another file (eg B.txt) and then I need to search for a particular expression in A.txt and substitute it with another expression. How can I use SED inside SHELL Scripting and command prompt as... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: shubhranshu
2 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

SED Substitution

Hi guys, Can u please help me to replace (-) with (/) in a file containing no of records using "sed " command in unix. thanks in advance. subhendu (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: subhendu81
5 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help with sed/substitution!

I have file.txt 1 4 7 9 3 I want to replace the tabs with a space, but my code doesn't work. cat file.txt | sed 's/"\t"/ /g' > t.txt But file is still the same. Numbers seperated by tabs instead of spaces. Help? (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Bandit390
2 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

sed substitution

Using sed I'm trying to replace 'string' with ']' while retaining case and ignoring words with 'string' in it along with additional characters like 'strings' and those which already contain the ] wrapper. I'm hoping to do it with sed and the right expression, if possible. Example: Apple... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: tom.lee
2 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

substitution using perl

Hi All, I need the perl version of the below sed command: sed 's/abc.*/&.txt/g' <filename> Because I'm trying to do some replacement recursively using perl and the above replacement is replacing the abc* with "&.txt" exactly. Thanks, Arun (9 Replies)
Discussion started by: arun_maffy
9 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

perl substitution

Hello all I have a strings like " Watch news 24x7 "."x-wars is glowing" " Watch news like 24 x 7"."x-mas will be celebrated" " Dimensions of box is 24x23x47 ". I have to remove the x(by) in between the number. If i just replace x, it will also remove all x's from text which i do not want.... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: vasuarjula
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl substitution

Hi, I'm new to Perl, and I want to change a few columns in a file in order to insert them into a database. The input file looks like this: 00001,"01/1234567" ,"Tst2" 00002,"01/4545646" ,"Tst123456" 00003,"01/8979898" ,"" The output should look like this: 01-1234567,00001... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Subbeh
2 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Sed/awk/perl substitution with multiple lines

OSX I have been grinding my teeth on a portion of code. I am building a bash script that edits a html email template. In the template, I have place holders for SED (or whatever program is appropriate) to use as anchors for find and replace, with user defined corresponding html code. The HTML code... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: sudo
3 Replies
Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)				 Perl Programmers Reference Guide			       Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)

NAME
Locale::Codes::LangExt - standard codes for language extension identification SYNOPSIS
use Locale::Codes::LangExt; $lext = code2langext('acm'); # $lext gets 'Mesopotamian Arabic' $code = langext2code('Mesopotamian Arabic'); # $code gets 'acm' @codes = all_langext_codes(); @names = all_langext_names(); DESCRIPTION
The "Locale::Codes::LangExt" module provides access to standard codes used for identifying language extensions, such as those as defined in the IANA language registry. Most of the routines take an optional additional argument which specifies the code set to use. If not specified, the default IANA language registry codes will be used. SUPPORTED CODE SETS
There are several different code sets you can use for identifying language extensions. A code set may be specified using either a name, or a constant that is automatically exported by this module. For example, the two are equivalent: $lext = code2langext('acm','alpha'); $lext = code2langext('acm',LOCALE_LANGEXT_ALPHA); The codesets currently supported are: alpha This is the set of three-letter (lowercase) codes from the IANA language registry, such as 'acm' for Mesopotamian Arabic. This is the default code set. ROUTINES
code2langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) langext2code ( NAME [,CODESET] ) langext_code2code ( CODE ,CODESET ,CODESET2 ) all_langext_codes ( [CODESET] ) all_langext_names ( [CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext ( CODE ,NEW_NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext ( CODE ,NAME [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext ( CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_alias ( NAME ,NEW_NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_alias ( NAME ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::rename_langext_code ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::add_langext_code_alias ( CODE ,NEW_CODE [,CODESET] ) Locale::Codes::LangExt::delete_langext_code_alias ( CODE [,CODESET] ) These routines are all documented in the Locale::Codes::API man page. SEE ALSO
Locale::Codes The Locale-Codes distribution. Locale::Codes::API The list of functions supported by this module. http://www.iana.org/assignments/language-subtag-registry The IANA language subtag registry. AUTHOR
See Locale::Codes for full author history. Currently maintained by Sullivan Beck (sbeck@cpan.org). COPYRIGHT
Copyright (c) 2011-2013 Sullivan Beck This module is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it under the same terms as Perl itself. perl v5.18.2 2013-11-04 Locale::Codes::LangExt(3pm)