Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: replacing lines of code
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting replacing lines of code Post 302544493 by tukuyomi on Thursday 4th of August 2011 03:38:58 AM
Old 08-04-2011
What output do you expect from this?
Code:
start
keyword1
stuff
keyword2
end

important stuff in between

start
keyword1
stuff
keyword3
end

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing multiple lines

i have a file : sample1.txt OBJECT="POINT" ACTION="REDEFINE" POINT_NAME="ABCD001G " GHYT_POPRIORITY_1="1" GHYT_POPRIORITY_2="1" GHYT_POPRIORITY_3="1" GHYT_POPRIORITY_4="1" GHYT_POPRIORITY_USER="1" HIGH_ALARM_PRIORITY_1="1" HIGH_ALARM_PRIORITY_2="1" HIGH_ALARM_PRIORITY_3="1" ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: ajnabi
1 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing specific lines in a file

Hi there I have a file which has the lines # Serial number for hostid EXP_SERIAL_="" These lines could be anywhere in the file as far as line numbers go, I would like replace these two lines with # Serial number for hostid $var1 EXP_SERIAL_$var1="$var2" Is there a quick and simple... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: hcclnoodles
6 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing new lines in all files of a directory containing old lines

Hi all, I am trying to replace a few lines with other lines of all files in a directory which contain those few lines. say - there are some 10 files in a dir having the same 4 lines as 1.txt at the starting 1.txt line 1 line 2 line 3 line 4 ....................................... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: rooster005
1 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

replacing blank lines

Hi i am trying to replace blank lines with a number 0. I tried the following code awk '{print NF ? $0: blankrow}' blankrow = "0" file1.prg>file2.prg however i get the following error: fatal: cannot open file `blankrow' for reading (No such file or directory) file example: 1 2 3 5 6... (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: rockiefx
11 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Help in replacing two blank lines with two lines of diff data

Hi.. I'm facing a trouble in replacing two blank lines in a file using shell script... I used sed to search a line and insert two blank lines after the searchd line using the following sed command. sed "/data/{G;G;}/" filename . In the file, after data tag, two lines got inserted blank lines..... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: arjun_arippa
4 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing certain lines with another set of lines

i have a huge script that i need to replace a bunch of lines in. in that script, i have a chunk similar to: JABABA=$(if ; then echo afafafa afafafafaf afafafafe fdfdfdfadfadl fafafafkkkk fi) I would like to replace the above chunk with: (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
1 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Replacing specific lines with another lines

Hi, I have a file with many lines, then i have following list of lines(line number 5,12,19,5,and 28) i need to replace these lines of a file with another lines as shown below these text contains special charecter like= (/:;){} Line_number Text to replace with 5 abc... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: MILAN KUMAR
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Finding lines with a regular expression, replacing them with blank lines

So the tag for this forum says all newbies welcome... All I want to do is go through my file and find lines which contain a given string of characters then replace these with a blank line. I really tried to find a simple command to do this but failed. Here's what I did come up with though: ... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: Golpette
2 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Summing over specific lines and replacing the lines with the sum using sed, awk

Hi friends, This is sed & awk type question. I have a text file which has numbers spread all over the file. I want to sum the series of numbers whenever i find it and produce an output file with the sum. For example ###start of input text file #### abc def ghi 1 2 3 4 kjld random... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
3 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Summing over specific lines and replacing the lines with the sum

Hi friends, This is sed & awk type question. It is slightly different from my previous question. I have a text file which has numbers spread all over the file. I want to sum the series of numbers (but no more than 10 numbers in series) whenever i find it and produce an output file with the... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: kaaliakahn
4 Replies
SAFE_FINGER(8)						     Linux Programmer's Manual						    SAFE_FINGER(8)

NAME
safe_finger - finger client wrapper that protects against nasty stuff from finger servers SYNOPSIS
safe_finger [finger_options] DESCRIPTION
The safe_finger command protects against nasty stuff from finger servers. Use this program for automatic reverse finger probes from the tcp_wrapper (tcpd) , not the raw finger command. The safe_finger command makes sure that the finger client is not run with root privileges. It also runs the finger client with a defined PATH environment. safe_finger will also protect you from problems caused by the output of some finger servers. The problem: some programs may react to stuff in the first column. Other programs may get upset by thrash anywhere on a line. File systems may fill up as the finger server keeps sending data. Text editors may bomb out on extremely long lines. The finger server may take forever because it is somehow wedged. safe_finger takes care of all this badness. SEE ALSO
hosts_access(5), hosts_options(5), tcpd(8) AUTHOR
Wietse Venema, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands. Linux 21th June 1997 SAFE_FINGER(8)