Sponsored Content
Full Discussion: validate tar file on tape
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting validate tar file on tape Post 302544388 by DGPickett on Wednesday 3rd of August 2011 03:15:24 PM
Old 08-03-2011
You gotta fill a lot of buffers in this life, eh?

Verify the whole thing if you have to move the tape. Get off of tape! I recommend a cheap PC with big, cheap drives on a back to back lan cable. Maybe even externalizing kits on cheap drives. Or Mozy -- off premises sooner!

If you could get a Hierarchial file system set up right, the stuff would just duplicate itself over the net to places far enough away, and the local copy could be deleted if not in use yet be available. I keep working on how to have a fluid pool of systems providing redundant storage using a mix of compressed and uncompressed mirror copies and autmoatic data migration based on backup spec (keep 3 copies 50 miles apart) and speed/size of storage device (low use data seeks slower, bigger (thus more chance of a use) devices). High use data gets replicated everywhere it is used. Every change after quiescence is a version, also saved. If a box went down, all files not adequately backed up are copied by machines with space from other machines. Take any machine any time. Just add machines or disks anywhere if space is low. Disk and net and even computers are cheap.

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

tar to tape and back

Howdy, I'm trying to tar some directories to tape and then extract them from tape on another machine. I was hoping someone could help me with the syntax of the tar commands. Both machines are running Solaris 8. Need to get all files and directories under the following: ... (6 Replies)
Discussion started by: pmetal
6 Replies

2. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

tar tvf from tape backeped using

Hi, The scenario is as follow: Backup was done using: tar cvf /dev/rmt/0mn file1.ext tar cvf /dev/rmt/0mn file2.ext tar cvf /dev/rmt/0mn file3.ext tar cvf /dev/rmt/0mn file4.ext tar cvf /dev/rmt/0mn file5.ext When I do; tar tvf /dev/rmt/0m, it only gives me the first file on the... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: kong
1 Replies

3. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar to remote tape

I tried to buckup some oracle archive logs (from a solaris machine) to a remote tape (in a HP-UX machine). I added the solaris machine name and user to .rhosts, and i tried to use this commande : tar cvf HPhost:/dev/rmt/0mn /u01/* The probleme that it gives: HPhost:/dev/rmt/0mn : No such... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: lasgaa
1 Replies

4. Filesystems, Disks and Memory

dump and tar backup in one tape

Hi all! I'm new in this forum. I need to ask a few question. I would like to know if it is possible to use dump and tar command for backup in one tape. If it is possible, how do I restore it back? Fyi, I'm using the Digital Unix 4.0E OSF/1 box. (old box) :-) Thank you. :) (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: apokobondo
0 Replies

5. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

Does tar do crc checking on a tape or tar file?

Trying to answer a question about whether tar table-of-contents is a good tool for verifying tape data. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: tjlst15
1 Replies

6. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar: tape blocksize error

Hi, I have tar: tape blocksize error when launching # gunzip < TierDB.tar.gz |tar -xvf /data/ora/DREC tar: tape blocksize error Can you please help me ? It is urgent. Many thanks. (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: big123456
1 Replies

7. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Writing tar file to tape

Hi Guy`s I`m a newbie to Unix and I`m starting to love it I got stuck donig backups of tar files to tape I use this to find all tar files find . -name '*.tar.*' > output in output there would be n of file eg. 6 the size output is 156 but tar files are: 9.3M Jul 18 09:48... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: donovan
1 Replies

8. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

tar and vdump on same tape?

Hello, This might be a dumb question, but I havent been able to find the answer anywhere. I currently have a backup script that uses 'tar' to backup some files to tape. I need to add a directory to the backup script, but I want to use 'vdump' to back it up to tape. So my question is can I... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: xadamz23
3 Replies

9. Solaris

tape tar error

Hi, I am trying to determine if a tape is full because on 2 different tapes, im receiving 2 different kind of errors: # uname SunOS # /bin/tar cvf /dev/rmt/0n /export/home a /export/home/jerry/wlserver_10.0.tar.gz 28528 tape blocks tar: write error: unexpected EOF # mt -f /dev/rmt/0n... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: mosies
5 Replies

10. Solaris

UNIX : how can I recover a corrupt tar file from a tape?

I've a tape contains a corrupt tar file. I'm using Unix SunOS 5.5.1. So when I run this command : dd if=/dev/rmt/0 of=/tmp/outputfile.tar I get this error message : warning /pci@1f, 0/pci@1/pci@1/sunw, isptwo@4/st@4,0 (sty): Error for command : read Error Level: Fatal Requested... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: akaderb
2 Replies
HPSA(4) 						     Linux Programmer's Manual							   HPSA(4)

NAME
hpsa - HP Smart Array SCSI driver SYNOPSIS
modprobe hpsa [ hpsa_allow_any=1 ] DESCRIPTION
hpsa is a SCSI driver for HP Smart Array RAID controllers. Options hpsa_allow_any=1: This option allows the driver to attempt to operate on any HP Smart Array hardware RAID controller, even if it is not explicitly known to the driver. This allows newer hardware to work with older drivers. Typically this is used to allow installation of operating systems from media that predates the RAID controller, though it may also be used to enable hpsa to drive older controllers that would normally be handled by the cciss(4) driver. These older boards have not been tested and are not supported with hpsa, and cciss(4) should still be used for these. Supported Hardware The hpsa driver supports the following Smart Array boards: Smart Array P700M Smart Array P212 Smart Array P410 Smart Array P410i Smart Array P411 Smart Array P812 Smart Array P712m Smart Array P711m StorageWorks P1210m Configuration Details To configure HP Smart Array controllers, use the HP Array Configuration Utility (either hpacuxe(8) or hpacucli(8)) or the Offline ROM-based Configuration Utility (ORCA) run from the Smart Array's option ROM at boot time. FILES
Device Nodes Logical drives are accessed via the SCSI disk driver (sd(4)), tape drives via the SCSI tape driver (st(4)), and the RAID controller via the SCSI generic driver (sg(4)), with device nodes named /dev/sd*, /dev/st*, and /dev/sg*, respectively. HPSA-Specific Host Attribute Files in /sys /sys/class/scsi_host/host*/rescan This is a write-only attribute. Writing to this attribute will cause the driver to scan for new, changed, or removed devices (e.g,. hot-plugged tape drives, or newly configured or deleted logical drives, etc.) and notify the SCSI midlayer of any changes detected. Normally a rescan is triggered automatically by HP's Array Configuration Utility (either the GUI or the command-line variety); thus, for logical drive changes, the user should not normally have to use this attribute. This attribute may be useful when hot plugging devices like tape drives, or entire storage boxes containing pre-configured logical drives. /sys/class/scsi_host/host*/firmware_revision This attribute contains the firmware version of the Smart Array. For example: # cd /sys/class/scsi_host/host4 # cat firmware_revision 7.14 HPSA-Specific Disk Attribute Files in /sys /sys/class/scsi_disk/c:b:t:l/device/unique_id This attribute contains a 32 hex-digit unique ID for each logical drive. For example: # cd /sys/class/scsi_disk/4:0:0:0/device # cat unique_id 600508B1001044395355323037570F77 /sys/class/scsi_disk/c:b:t:l/device/raid_level This attribute contains the RAID level of each logical drive. For example: # cd /sys/class/scsi_disk/4:0:0:0/device # cat raid_level RAID 0 /sys/class/scsi_disk/c:b:t:l/device/lunid This attribute contains the 16 hex-digit (8 byte) LUN ID by which a logical drive or physical device can be addressed. c:b:t:l are the controller, bus, target and lun of the device. For example: # cd /sys/class/scsi_disk/4:0:0:0/device # cat lunid 0x0000004000000000 Supported ioctl() operations For compatibility with applications written for the cciss(4) driver, many, but not all of the ioctls supported by the cciss(4) driver are also supported by the hpsa driver. The data structures used by these ioctls are described in the Linux kernel source file include/linux/cciss_ioctl.h. CCISS_DEREGDISK, CCISS_REGNEWDISK, CCISS_REGNEWD These three ioctls all do exactly the same thing, which is to cause the driver to rescan for new devices. This does exactly the same thing as writing to the hpsa-specific host "rescan" attribute. CCISS_GETPCIINFO Returns PCI domain, bus, device and function and "board ID" (PCI subsystem ID). CCISS_GETDRIVVER Returns driver version in three bytes encoded as: (major_version << 16) | (minor_version << 8) | (subminor_version) CCISS_PASSTHRU, CCISS_BIG_PASSTHRU Allows "BMIC" and "CISS" commands to be passed through to the Smart Array. These are used extensively by the HP Array Configuration Utility, SNMP storage agents, etc. See cciss_vol_status at <http://cciss.sf.net> for some examples. SEE ALSO
cciss(4), sd(4), st(4), cciss_vol_status(8), hpacucli(8), hpacuxe(8), <http://cciss.sf.net>, and Documentation/scsi/hpsa.txt and Documentation/ABI/testing/sysfs-bus-pci-devices-cciss in the Linux kernel source tree COLOPHON
This page is part of release 3.44 of the Linux man-pages project. A description of the project, and information about reporting bugs, can be found at http://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/. Linux 2012-08-05 HPSA(4)