Sponsored Content
Top Forums Shell Programming and Scripting Methods For Debugging Perl Problems Post 302544309 by DGPickett on Wednesday 3rd of August 2011 12:08:20 PM
Old 08-03-2011
If you write code that trusts no input, checks and logs errors, leaves nothing to chance but does something for every logical possibility, then your challenges will be small enough for debug statements or side code tests. You, too, deserve a nice error log, one per run or with headings and exit trailers. That is why there is always an fd 2 stderr 2>log_file in UNIX.

I mostly use gdb for core dumps in c/c++ dev, to get a stack trace.

For apps with lots of system calls, strace/truss/tusc is great, can even be used when code is already running, when you have no source! Sometimes you can option it to tell you every library call in C, which you can relate to PERL actions.

Good luck.

9 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems with perl

hi i'm writing multiclient perl server cross plataform it will redirect one connection to any computer inside mine lan so when someone connect on this server it create a socket and connect to the computer create two threads and read the data incoming from the client and send to another... (0 Replies)
Discussion started by: sendai
0 Replies

2. Shell Programming and Scripting

problems with double quotes in PERL

I have a cgi script I run through apache2 and I need to have a line that contains double quotes within double quotes. Here's what I need PERL to pass to rrdtool: HRULE:30#BBBB00:"30.0 constant":dashesIt's a little more complicated since I also have variables in the statement which requires... (13 Replies)
Discussion started by: audiophile
13 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl - Problems with Signal Handler

I have a problem with signal handlers not working. I have a long 1000 line code and somehow this code for signal handling is not working: $SIG{INT} = \&interrupt; sub interrupt { print STDERR "Caught a control c!\n"; exit; # or just about anything else you'd want to do } Any... (2 Replies)
Discussion started by: som.nitk
2 Replies

4. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

Problems with Alt Gr in Perl scripts

Hey I am new to programming in general but am trying to work in Perl. The thing is that almost every time I write a script (I use nedit) I get problems with Alt Gr. E.g. In stead of } I get <gs> or in stead of \ nothing happens. Sometimes it's really bad and when I want a new line then... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: Banni
1 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

Methods to SSH (Perl)...

Can anyone break down the different methods of using SSH in perl? I'm currently using Net::SSH::Expect, which allows me to login to a machine and execute multiple commands without having to ssh again. This feature of holding the session works well for me, but it's slow. If I set timeouts to 4... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: mrwatkin
3 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Turning on Debugging for a perl script

for security reasons I can not post any part of the script in question in this thread. i hope im not breaking any rules by not doing so. but i have a perl script that i've been asked to turn on debugging on. i didn't write this perl script and i have very very little knowledge of perl. so i... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Perl Methods Calling

Hello I am on my way to improve my wonderful Perl skills, I got an issue which I want to share with you all. I have a Perl module which looks like package Cocoa; require Exporter; @ISA = qw(Exporter); my $a=''; my $b=''; my $c=''; sub new { my $this = shift; # Create... (8 Replies)
Discussion started by: adisky123
8 Replies

8. Red Hat

Perl problems in RHEL 5.X

Hi, We have RHEL 5.X OS installed here, where we need few Perl modules installed. I have local copy of Perl modules in .tar.gz format. The problem is that we don't have Internet available here and it is really pain to install all the modules manually on all the servers one by one. So can I... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: nixhead
1 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

Debugging mysterious perl script problem

the attached perl script is a deamon that, once kicked off from the command line, it runs in the background and waits for the master server to tell it what plugins to run. the script works well. but the problem is, whenever i start it, after about a few seconds of starting it, i start getting... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: SkySmart
4 Replies
DH_PERL(1)							     Debhelper								DH_PERL(1)

NAME
       dh_perl - calculates Perl dependencies and cleans up after MakeMaker

SYNOPSIS
       dh_perl [debhelperoptions] [-d] [librarydirs...]

DESCRIPTION
       dh_perl is a debhelper program that is responsible for generating the ${perl:Depends} substitutions and adding them to substvars files.

The program will look at Perl scripts and modules in your package, and will use this information to generate a dependency on perl or
       perlapi. The dependency will be substituted into your package's control file wherever you place the token ${perl:Depends}.

dh_perl also cleans up empty directories that MakeMaker can generate when installing Perl modules.

OPTIONS
       -d  In some specific cases you may want to depend on perl-base rather than the full perl package. If so, you can pass the -d option to make
	   dh_perl generate a dependency on the correct base package. This is only necessary for some packages that are included in the base
	   system.

Note that this flag may cause no dependency on perl-base to be generated at all. perl-base is Essential, so its dependency can be left
	   out, unless a versioned dependency is needed.

-V  By default, scripts and architecture independent modules don't depend on any specific version of perl. The -V option causes the current
	   version of the perl (or perl-base with -d) package to be specified.

library dirs
	   If your package installs Perl modules in non-standard directories, you can make dh_perl check those directories by passing their names
	   on the command line. It will only check the vendorlib and vendorarch directories by default.

CONFORMS TO
       Debian policy, version 3.8.3

Perl policy, version 1.20

SEE ALSO
       debhelper(7)

This program is a part of debhelper.

AUTHOR
       Brendan O'Dea <bod@debian.org>

11.1.6ubuntu2							    2018-05-10								DH_PERL(1)