Sponsored Content
Top Forums UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users couting occurences of a character inside a string and assigning it to a variable Post 302544089 by arindamlive on Wednesday 3rd of August 2011 12:55:57 AM
Old 08-03-2011
couting occurences of a character inside a string and assigning it to a variable

echo "hello123" | tr -dc '[0-9]' | wc -c

using this command i can count the no of times a number from 0-9 occurs in the string "hello123"
but how do i save this result inside a variable?

if i do
x= echo "hello123" | tr -dc '[0-9]' | wc -c

that does not work...plz suggest..thanks

10 More Discussions You Might Find Interesting

1. UNIX for Advanced & Expert Users

How to count no of occurences of a character in a string in UNIX

i have a string like echo "a|b|c" . i want to count the | symbols in this string . how to do this .plz tell the command (11 Replies)
Discussion started by: kamesh83
11 Replies

2. UNIX for Dummies Questions & Answers

check if a character is inside a variable

Good morning forums. Ive been trying all weekend to do this with no luck, so i have come to the forums for help. What i want to do is check if an inputed character is inside a variable. for example, if var=1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 0 i would like to see if a newly inputed number is already... (5 Replies)
Discussion started by: strasner
5 Replies

3. Shell Programming and Scripting

Removing a character from a variable and assigning it to another variable?

Hi folks. I have this variable called FirstIN that contains something like this: 001,002,003,004... I am trying to assign the content of this variable into ModifiedIN but with the following format : 001 002 003 004...(changing the commas for spaces) I thought about using sed but i am not... (17 Replies)
Discussion started by: Stephan
17 Replies

4. Shell Programming and Scripting

delete last character in all occurences of string

Hello all, I have a file containing the following p1 q1 p2 q2 p1 p2 p3 pr1 pr2 pr1 pr2 pa1 pa2 I want to remove the last character from all strings that start with 'p' and end with '1'. In general, I do not know what is between the first part of the string and the last part of the string.... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: bigfoot
4 Replies

5. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to remove the first character on a string in a variable

Hi all, Does anyone know how to code in ksh that will remove the first character in a string variable and replace that variable without the first character? Example: var1=ktest1 will become var1=test1 var2=rtest2 will become var2=test2 Need help please. (10 Replies)
Discussion started by: ryukishin_17
10 Replies

6. Shell Programming and Scripting

Count number of occurences of a character in a field defined by the character in another field

Hello, I have a text file with n lines in the following format (9 column fields): Example: contig00012 149606 G C 49 68 60 18 c$cccccacccccccccc^c I need to count the number of lower-case and upper-case occurences in column 9, respectively, of the... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: s052866
3 Replies

7. Shell Programming and Scripting

Problems assigning a string to a variable

Hello everyone, My problem looks quite simple , how to assign a string with spaces and lines "\n" to a variable. I've tried all kind of quoting and is impossible, bash always try to execute the string and never executes a simple assignation. This is part of the code ... (1 Reply)
Discussion started by: trutoman
1 Replies

8. Shell Programming and Scripting

problem in assigning substr to a variable inside awk

Hi All, I have a fixed-width datafile from which i need to extract value/string starting from some position to the specified length in each of the lines. awk '{print substr($0,x,y)}' datafile --- is working fine but awk 'BEGIN{a=0}{a=substr($0,x,y);print $a}' datafile ---is giving... (3 Replies)
Discussion started by: loggedin.ksh
3 Replies

9. Shell Programming and Scripting

How to change last character in string with a variable value.

Hey Guys, I have text such as this. 28003,ALCORN,2 28009,BENTON,2 28013,CALHOUN,2 28017,CHICKASAW,2 47017,CARROLL,2 05021,CLAY,0 The last digit after the final "," is a variable value. This is the base file. I have to do further execution on this file later and I need to update the... (7 Replies)
Discussion started by: chagan02
7 Replies

10. Shell Programming and Scripting

Script stops running after assigning empty string for a variable

Hi, This is the first time I see something like this, and I don't why it happens. Please give me some help. I am really appreciate it. Basically I am trying to remove all empty lines of an input.. #!/bin/bash set -e set -x str1=`echo -e "\nhaha" | grep -v ^$` #str2=`echo -e "\n" |... (4 Replies)
Discussion started by: yoyomano
4 Replies
COUNT(3)								 1								  COUNT(3)

count - Count all elements in an array, or something in an object

SYNOPSIS
int count (mixed $array_or_countable, [int $mode = COUNT_NORMAL]) DESCRIPTION
Counts all elements in an array, or something in an object. For objects, if you have SPL installed, you can hook into count(3) by implementing interface Countable. The interface has exactly one method, Countable::count, which returns the return value for the count(3) function. Please see the Array section of the manual for a detailed explanation of how arrays are implemented and used in PHP. PARAMETERS
o $array_or_countable - An array or Countable object. o $mode - If the optional $mode parameter is set to COUNT_RECURSIVE (or 1), count(3) will recursively count the array. This is particu- larly useful for counting all the elements of a multidimensional array. Caution count(3) can detect recursion to avoid an infinite loop, but will emit an E_WARNING every time it does (in case the array contains itself more than once) and return a count higher than may be expected. RETURN VALUES
Returns the number of elements in $array_or_countable. If the parameter is not an array or not an object with implemented Countable inter- face, 1 will be returned. There is one exception, if $array_or_countable is NULL, 0 will be returned. Caution count(3) may return 0 for a variable that isn't set, but it may also return 0 for a variable that has been initialized with an empty array. Use isset(3) to test if a variable is set. EXAMPLES
Example #1 count(3) example <?php $a[0] = 1; $a[1] = 3; $a[2] = 5; $result = count($a); // $result == 3 $b[0] = 7; $b[5] = 9; $b[10] = 11; $result = count($b); // $result == 3 $result = count(null); // $result == 0 $result = count(false); // $result == 1 ?> Example #2 Recursive count(3) example <?php $food = array('fruits' => array('orange', 'banana', 'apple'), 'veggie' => array('carrot', 'collard', 'pea')); // recursive count echo count($food, COUNT_RECURSIVE); // output 8 // normal count echo count($food); // output 2 ?> SEE ALSO
is_array(3), isset(3), strlen(3). PHP Documentation Group COUNT(3)